Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
danydandan

Understanding Superposition.

danydandan

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/understanding-superposition/

One should first and foremost understand that superposition has both a mathematical an a physical meaning, or rather it originates as a mathematical property of the system description which will have implications in the physics.  The mathematical concepts are fairly straightforward aspects of linear algebra which will be briefly reviewed first.  To understand the physical implications of the mathematics we need to understand how representations in the mathematics get translated to operationally meaningful statements of the physical phenomena we observe.  So the next step is to consider if where and how mathematical aspects of superposition connect to the logical structure of our empirically verifiable statements about physical systems.  When this is understood then one has a solid foundation to stand upon while contemplating the physical and philosophical meaning of this idea of superposition.

The above article is a good informative article on a concept very few people actually understand, but will widely use it's terminology to explain a number of unexplained mysterious phenomenas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tatetopa
23 hours ago, danydandan said:

The above article is a good informative article on a concept very few people actually understand, but will widely use it's terminology to explain a number of unexplained mysterious phenomenas. 

Count me as a member of the union of subsets of those who didn't read it and those who read it once and think they better read it again before opening their mouths. 

• Haha 2

sci-nerd
23 hours ago, danydandan said:

I think we two are entangled, danyboy!

You wrote this OP on Monday, and Sunday evening I decided to learn, how researchers can know, that particles are in a superposition, without measuring them.

I had though about that a lot, the hours and days before. But what a coincidence!! Only a few hours separate us from going into the exact same subject!

• Like 1

danydandan
37 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I think we two are entangled, danyboy!

You wrote this OP on Monday, and Sunday evening I decided to learn, how researchers can know, that particles are in a superposition, without measuring them.

I had though about that a lot, the hours and days before. But what a coincidence!! Only a few hours separate us from going into the exact same subject!

It's a phenomenon we take advantage of in my field. Someone in work just happened to be talking about the article so I thought it would be wise to spread the Gospel according to Science.

• Like 2

Tatetopa

It seems fortunate for us that the universe works that way.   It seems that if we needed to calculate the resultant electric field of five fixed charges in a box, without superposition and the ability to calculate each field and add them, life would be very difficult.  Of course that breaks down if the charges are free to move I guess.

You have the famous three body problem in gravitation, I think with electrical fields as well.  How about quantum mechanics?  

Shows you how superficial my first read was.  Does superposition work only with vector fields or with particles as well?