Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Necklace comes off by its self

brynn_

Hello, please help me. My gradfather gifted me a beautiful jade necklace in February 2018 from singapore, I absolutely adore it but for a long time now its been doing something strange. since march of 2018 the pendent of the necklace has been falling off the chain. the chain, clasp, pendent, the whole necklace is perfectly intact and is not broken in any way, I have taken it to multiple jewellers to confirm this by looking under their microscope things. I never ever take it off because of how much I love it (although its kind of a love hate situation now) the only time I take it off is to put the pendent back on. there is absolutely no way or logical explanation for what happens. when the pendent - the jade - falls off, the chain is still around my neck with the clasp fastened, if it was a faulty clasp the whole necklace, including the jade pendent and chain would be off me, so how does the pendent fall off the chain without the clasp ever being undone? its super freaky and it freaks out the jewellers. I have racked my brain on every single way this could happen yet nothing adds up. how does it move through solid gold? its happened 23 times starting from march 2018 to most recently the 10th of June 2019 and it keeps happening randomly whenever. when it happens its not even like I pull it and it happens, ill be standing completely still, or walking normally and it just fall off. It is a very strange feeling and I can't tell you how it makes me feel, I'm desperate for answers. I don't know whether the jade is protecting me from something so I should keep it on, or somethings trying to tell me I need it off, so should I take it off? regardless I do love it and it was gifted to me by someone special and was very expensive so I don't know what I would do if I ever lost it. I'm not sure if this is the right fourm to post, I do have my psychic moments and so maybe my energy clashes with the crystals energy? (because its real jade) is this some kind of metaphysical situation? I'm not religious but I do believe in ghost, demons, everything, so could it be possible theres a entity messing with me? please please please help me, any suggestions on what might be happening and maybe how to stop it? thank you.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Necklace comes off by its self

If jewelers are baffled them I'm not going to be able to give you a 'normal' possibility. So let's 'consider'  the paranormal.

What is the situation with your grandfather? Does he have any knowledge of the history of this piece? What's going on with your life that something paranormal might want to be involved with? 

I am thinking you will have to do your own brainstorming as the paranormal to me seems vast and endless and probably more complicated than even the physical plane. 

Edited by papageorge1

Wow, If you don't have someone trying to tell you something, I don't know who has. Try putting on an additional clasp. Then see what happens. Do you have close-up pics you can post? Especially the clasp area?....

• Like 2

I am having a similar problem. My boyfriend gave me his necklace with his saint Christopher medallion and cross while I was abroad. He has had issues in the past where the saint Christopher medallion just falls off the chain. This happened to me on my trip and I luckily found it. We have no idea why it falls off. There is no issues with the chain or with the medallion. Prior to him having this medallion he had another that had the same issue and he ended up completely losing. We looked it up and have found nothing. Anything would help!

im not a true believer so forgive me but i do love a good mystery, if i first assume your story is true i suggest hanging the necklace in a safe place since this has happened a lot it should keep on happening, right? and its better than loosing it for good right.

also i was in the jewellery biz and would very much like clear good pictures of the pendant part ,

Need to see how the pendant is attached to the chain.  

On 12/06/2019 at 2:22 AM, papageorge1 said:

If jewelers are baffled them I'm not going to be able to give you a 'normal' possibility. So let's 'consider'  the paranormal.

What is the situation with your grandfather? Does he have any knowledge of the history of this piece? What's going on with your life that something paranormal might want to be involved with? 

I am thinking you will have to do your own brainstorming as the paranormal to me seems vast and endless and probably more complicated than even the physical plane. 

Hello! sorry I don't know if I'm doing this right, I'm new to this website haha. theres not really a 'situation' with my grandfather, I don't see him a lot if that adds to anything. I've told him what happens to the necklace but he doesn't really care that much haha, I think he believes me but you have to kind of see it to believe it, the only person who's seen it actually fall off besides me is my mum. He doesn't know anything about the necklace history wise at all, he doesn't even know what store he bought it at, English isn't his first language so it's hard to get details out of him and I doubt he asked whoever he bought the necklace from stuff about its history you know? theres nothing really in my life happening at the moment that I think the paranormal would want to 'target' me, however I do like/am interested to the paranormal and have been my whole life and I've always heard things like they feed of that and that attracts them and stuff, so maybe that? but I don't think I'm THAT into the supernatural that it would attract them to me like that. BUT also I do believe that recently I've been cursed, I know sounds kind of crazy. I do believe I have been cursed before in the past by having a cursed item in my possession which caused so many expensive things to break, extreme decline of family members health, my relationship with everyone to go completely down hill and the sudden death of two pets just days apart. I believe I was cursed again because all those things and more have happened to me again and idk I can just tell also I literally witnessed the person curse me. anyway Idk why I said all that because I don't think it relates to my necklace because the first time I got cursed was years before my necklace and the second time was like a year after I got my necklace so I don't think there's any corolation. but I have a theory, (I tried to post my original post on a supernatural forum aswell but it said I couldn't do that), I started my first year of high school - year 10 like a week before I went to Singapore (there I got my necklace), the whole singapore trip the necklace stuff didn't happen, but it started happening when I first started going to school. my school is very old, it first was a meat works and slaughter house, then was built as a highschool in the 20s, then it was army barracks in ww2, then high school again. anyways my point is its very old and I believe haunted, I know people have died there and I do feel bad, negative energy. SO maybe when I started school something took a liking to my necklace? or maybe, (because I read that jade protects from evil), my jade gets so 'overwhelmed' from trying to ward off spirts all day at school. idk sorry I rambled, thanks for your help. if what I said means anything to you or maybe you can piece something together from this please get back to me thanks :).

• Thanks 1

On 12/06/2019 at 5:48 AM, donktheclown said:

Wow, If you don't have someone trying to tell you something, I don't know who has. Try putting on an additional clasp. Then see what happens. Do you have close-up pics you can post? Especially the clasp area?....

I know crazy right? haha. hmm that would be a good idea but I'm not skilled enough for that, and I feel it would be expensive for someone to put one on for me and I don't really want to damage it. I could try to thread a thin piece of fishing wire through my necklace to try to stop it from happening because then the jade would have to get through the chain and the fishing wire. idk if that made sense haha. I have some photos but it says there to big to upload, do you know how to fix this?

On 17/06/2019 at 7:41 AM, Skloz said:

I am having a similar problem. My boyfriend gave me his necklace with his saint Christopher medallion and cross while I was abroad. He has had issues in the past where the saint Christopher medallion just falls off the chain. This happened to me on my trip and I luckily found it. We have no idea why it falls off. There is no issues with the chain or with the medallion. Prior to him having this medallion he had another that had the same issue and he ended up completely losing. We looked it up and have found nothing. Anything would help!

oh wow that is weird! I've done a lot of research as well and I've found a few other people like us, every story I read it was a religious necklace, with like a saint or a cross on it, if that helps? don't know why mine does it though (since its just a jade necklace). its freaky hey

On 18/06/2019 at 7:58 PM, the13bats said:

im not a true believer so forgive me but i do love a good mystery, if i first assume your story is true i suggest hanging the necklace in a safe place since this has happened a lot it should keep on happening, right? and its better than loosing it for good right.

also i was in the jewellery biz and would very much like clear good pictures of the pendant part ,

my picture files are too big to upload, how do I solve this?

• 1 month later...

You crop them in a picture editor hun. Or you can set ur camera to do lower quality pictures to reduce the size. 

What id say is stop wearing. Resistance will be met with resistance. Nothing bad about just having it displayed somewhere nice and looking at it.

Same thing happened to me!  I wore my jade pendant when I went to bed.  When I awoke the chain was on my neck with clasp secure and the pendant was on the bed.  The hook on the pendant was not broken.  I too would love to know the reason for this mystery.  It was the first time I wore the jade since I bought it.

• 1 year later...

the same thing just happened to me! there was a knot in the chain where the pendant was and when i untied it the pendant ended up falling off? and both ends have bigger links so the pendant won’t fit back on :/ maybe its something like how you can escape from being tied to another rope without undoing the knot? https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSx6dLfW/ 

53 minutes ago, plutonic said:

the same thing just happened to me! there was a knot in the chain where the pendant was and when i untied it the pendant ended up falling off? and both ends have bigger links so the pendant won’t fit back on :/ maybe its something like how you can escape from being tied to another rope without undoing the knot? https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSx6dLfW/ 

That video could explain the whole thing. No ghosts, nothing paranormal, just a seemingly impossible trick.I still can't get my head around it, but there it is - the explanation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 6:42 PM, brynn_ said:

my picture files are too big to upload, how do I solve this?

Find a nerd ... :D  surely you know someone who can help?  They'll probably have a better camera too....  Or go to your favorite jeweller and ask *them* to photograph it and send you the files.  It shouldn't cost much, if anything.  If you live in Brisbane Australia I'll do it for nothing...

Just to point out, the OP hasn't been back on UM since June 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

The same has happened to me this past Sunday. I was walking down my stairs and when I stepped down onto the first floor I heard something fall on the tile. I looked and saw it was my Golden Obsidian Pendant. I first thought the silver chain broke but it was still securely around my neck. I then looked at the pendant and I couldn't see where it was damaged. I took out a 4x magnifier with a light to further examine it and nothing. I asked my logical minded spouse to do the same and he could not explain it. I posted on Facebook metaphysical groups but no one has responded yet so I looked further online and saw this similar post. I took the pendant off the chain again last night and I put a threaded needle through the eye and yanked down where the two parts meet and the thread didn't go down and through it. My spouse says there is a tiny welded ball in the joint of the pinch clip clasp on the inside. So bizarre.

pendant.jpg

pinch clasp.jpg

thread test.jpg

51 minutes ago, Naristone said:

I put a threaded needle through the eye and yanked down where the two parts meet and the thread didn't go down and through it

A much better test is to put tension onto all the rings/loops that are adjacent to the break point and look for a 'split'.  Also, bear in mind that the joins/splits are often very slender and hard to see, AND that if you get two very thin splits that happen to align at exactly the right angle, they will come apart easily.

Magicians use these tricks a lot on those silver hoops...

In summary, take it to a jeweller, who can use a loupe and will carefully apply the necessary forces to check it.  Unfortunately, average phones can't take a high enough resolution shot, plus, as I said, the gap will probably only appear when one of the links is pulled at just the right angle.

2 hours ago, Naristone said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see if I can take it in today and will update.

Appreciated!  Please do update us.  Usually, sadly, we don't get people coming back - I guess mundane explanations are not exciting enough..  :) 

• Like 1

Ive seen a lot of these cases i simply do not buy paranormal explanations, and that doesn't even have amyrhing to do with magic being a hobby, so i love figuring stuff out, i do fail sometimes.

I did research a case like this, about 30 years ago the friend was kind enough to give me the chain necklace and pendant to study and the drop ring on the pendant appeared solid, the style like nari posted.

So i placed the pendant on the chain and latched the chain i messed with it for hours one night,  i got no where, im OCD messed with several more days and the solution was a kin to the secret to linking rings Chrlzs mentioned,

it was so cool, the weight of the pendant when hanging just right would open the split in a chain link just enough to start into it moving wearer and it kept working its way until off, and the split in the link could not be seen,

Im not saying this is always the case but i am saying i believe there are non supernatural answers.

Necklaces have been coming off by themselves long before Cleopatra lost her pearls.

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2021 at 12:52 PM, Naristone said:

The same has happened to me this past Sunday. I was walking down my stairs and when I stepped down onto the first floor I heard something fall on the tile. I looked and saw it was my Golden Obsidian Pendant. I first thought the silver chain broke but it was still securely around my neck. I then looked at the pendant and I couldn't see where it was damaged. I took out a 4x magnifier with a light to further examine it and nothing. I asked my logical minded spouse to do the same and he could not explain it. I posted on Facebook metaphysical groups but no one has responded yet so I looked further online and saw this similar post. I took the pendant off the chain again last night and I put a threaded needle through the eye and yanked down where the two parts meet and the thread didn't go down and through it. My spouse says there is a tiny welded ball in the joint of the pinch clip clasp on the inside. So bizarre.

pendant.jpg

pinch clasp.jpg

thread test.jpg

This is long overdue update:

I took the pendant to a Jeweler and told them that the pendant came off the chain. Upon inspection they stated it was well made and secure and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They suggested it was the chain. It was a family run business and first the son looked it over and then he handed it off to his father and he stated the same. They  both used a Loupe. It obviously wasn't the chain because it was still around my neck when the pendant came off hence the mystery. It was the first thing I assumed and inspected after the pendant fell. After setting the stone on Selenite for a week or so, I put it back on and I have worn it daily without taking it off ever since. I haven't had another incident to date.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:10 AM, the13bats said:

Ive seen a lot of these cases i simply do not buy paranormal explanations, and that doesn't even have amyrhing to do with magic being a hobby, so i love figuring stuff out, i do fail sometimes.

I did research a case like this, about 30 years ago the friend was kind enough to give me the chain necklace and pendant to study and the drop ring on the pendant appeared solid, the style like nari posted.

So i placed the pendant on the chain and latched the chain i messed with it for hours one night,  i got no where, im OCD messed with several more days and the solution was a kin to the secret to linking rings Chrlzs mentioned,

it was so cool, the weight of the pendant when hanging just right would open the split in a chain link just enough to start into it moving wearer and it kept working its way until off, and the split in the link could not be seen,

Im not saying this is always the case but i am saying i believe there are non supernatural answers.

Neat.I'm always down for an explanation!