Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hitler's "Amber Room" found?

Eldorado

"Nazi thieves spent their early conquest hoarding art and treasure, and much of it was never found at the end of World War 2.

"But the Amber Room has been the subject to countless urban legends and searches as its whereabouts remain a mystery – possibly until now.

"Treasure hunters now believe they have found the entrance to a hidden bunker which may contain Hitler’s secret stash near the Polish town of Wegorzewo."

Full monty at the Florida Post: https://thefloridapost.com/nazi-treasure-hunters-find-hatch-to-secret-bunker-with-adolf-hitlers-250m-fortune/

"The search for one of WWII's greatest missing treasures – an Amber Room worth £250million – could soon be over as treasure hunters say it may be inside a secret tunnel they've found in northeast Poland."

UK Daily mail treatment: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7124829/Treasure-hunters-discover-entrance-lead-Amber-Room-looted-Nazis.html

• Like 4

Calling it "Hitler's Amber Room" is very misleading, it never belonged to him.

It would be amazing if the paneling was found again. Though considering the Amber Room has since been recreated you gotta wonder what they're gonna do with the replica... 

Edited by Orphalesion

Were these Amber panels really made from amber?  I thought amber was a fossilized form of tree sap...how could they find enough to make all these panels?  

3 minutes ago, cathya said:

Were these Amber panels really made from amber? 

Yes.

I thought amber was a fossilized form of tree sap... 

Correct.

how could they find enough to make all these panels? 

Amber isnt that rare like diamonds or gold.

How long does it take to cut down a tree in Polland? That sounds like the first line of a joke, doesn't it?

• Haha 1

If you read the artcle it seems like this is merely speculation. There are endless speculation as to what happened to the amber room, the most likely is that it was destroyed when the Soviet army attacked Königsberg. 

If the Germans wanted to hide it from the Soviets, why would they hide it somewhere that was being overrun by the Soviets at about the same time ? Wouldn't they have tried to ship it out of East Prussia ? This is where the second most plausible idea comes in and that is that the germans did try to transport it out of East Prussia on a ship, but that ship was sunk by a Soviet submarine.

On the other hand the Germans didn't allways act rationally at that time, so I guess it could be true.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 4

On 6/12/2019 at 7:48 AM, mdbuilder said:

Let me guess...Geraldo is gonna guest host the bunker's opening?

LOL Not 2 days ago I was telling my kids about him opening Capone's vault.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Aardvark-DK said:

Putin comes and claim it, if its found, fair enough...

He has it already, its in the basement of the Kremlin with a 80s Pac-Man machine in it.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've had it with this endless speculation. I have it. I have the Amber Room. It's in my She-Shed and you can't have it back. Finders keepers. Now stop looking for it. You're annoying me.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, toast said:

Amber isnt that rare like diamonds or gold.

And that area of the world is LOADED with it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

And that area of the world is LOADED with it.

Exactly. And that area is also loaded with dangerous phosphorus which looks like amber.

In August this year, a 41-year-old woman picked up an object from a beach on the banks of the Elbe, near Hamburg, Germany, mistaking it for amber. She put it in her jacket pocket, laid the jacket down… and her pocket combusted. The object was white phosphorus from a second world war incendiary bomb.

Chemistry World

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toast said:

Exactly. And that area is also loaded with dangerous phosphorus which looks like amber.

Well, better in her pocket than after she throws it on the lapidary saw...

It's pretty well accepted that the Amber Room was destroyed by Soviet troops when they burnt Königsberg Castle. It was boxed up ready for moving, and the soldiers probably didn't know what they were destroying.

Amber burns. Very easily.

In an interesting twist, it's in the current Russian administration's interests not to admit this. Russia holds millions of works of art looted from Germany and uses the Amber Room as a pawn in the restitution game, knowing full well that Germany doesn't have it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2019 at 5:35 PM, Emma_Acid said:

It's pretty well accepted that the Amber Room was destroyed by Soviet troops when they burnt Königsberg Castle. It was boxed up ready for moving, and the soldiers probably didn't know what they were destroying.

Amber burns. Very easily.

In an interesting twist, it's in the current Russian administration's interests not to admit this. Russia holds millions of works of art looted from Germany and uses the Amber Room as a pawn in the restitution game, knowing full well that Germany doesn't have it.

I could not agree more.