Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Mysterious anomaly under Moon crater

29 posts in this topic

hereticspl
6 hours ago, Peter B said:

The billions of dollars in private investment is coming from people like Elon Musk (PayPal) and Jeff Bezos (Amazon). They have huge amounts of money available to indulge their interests, which for them is Space. And yes, they're doing it for profit as well as out of some greater personal interest. But yes, there's also a lot of ego involved too: if humanity spreads out across the Solar System in coming decades and centuries, the people who will be remembered as starting the process are going to be people like Musk and Bezos; I'm pretty sure Musk and Bezos are aware of this, and I suspect they're pretty satisfied with that thought.

So why didn't private individuals do this earlier? Partly it's due to a lack of interest on the part of the people who were rich enough to do so in earlier decades. But partly it's because now the technology (both in computing and in materials) has advanced to the point that we can Do Stuff in space much more efficiently that we could do so in earlier decades. Hence the ability of the Falcon 9 first stages to fly back to Earth for reuse, something that was science fiction in the 1990s.

What's the situation like In regards to land ownership, i read that the un has declared space as the property of all mankind and most major space capable nations have signed the treaty. How do you think the un is going to enforce their rules now that space colonization is becoming a reality?

Farmer77
2 minutes ago, hereticspl said:

What's the situation like In regards to land ownership, i read that the un has declared space as the property of all mankind and most major space capable nations have signed the treaty. How do you think the un is going to enforce their rules now that space colonization is becoming a reality?

The US has no problem tearing up treaties if they believe it will profit them. Theyll go first and the rest of the world will follow suit.

Peter B
On 6/16/2019 at 5:25 PM, hereticspl said:

IIRC the Outer Space treaty says that countries can't claim territory not on the Earth but says nothing about private companies...

Watch this space, I guess. (*pa-dum-tish!*)

hereticspl
On 20/06/2019 at 7:08 PM, Peter B said:

IIRC the Outer Space treaty says that countries can't claim territory not on the Earth but says nothing about private companies...

Watch this space, I guess. (*pa-dum-tish!*)

It doesn't say anything about building anything either does it? So if someone builds something on a patch of land as far as I'm concerned that's as good as claiming it