Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does personality or looks matter most?

pallidin

I'd honestly say personality. They could be the embodiment of beauty, but ugly is bone deep. If their personality is @@@@ forget it. We all turn into the backside of a monkey one day. :lol:

• Haha 1

If I'm getting this right from what you all are saying, "looks" are the initial attractor, but "personality" is the keeper.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, pallidin said:

So, with her figure and face, I suppose that's some sort of personal sexual attraction... whereas her personality (or him for girls) is much deeper and possibly on a related but different level.

Men and women may react differently based on cultural conditioning.

And most of those answering your question appear to be men.

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenemet said:

Men and women may react differently based on cultural conditioning.

And most of those answering your question appear to be men.

I would agree that there are both cultural and significant male/female differences which provides for no single answer at all.

I don't think either means much compared to chemistry,smell, scent, whatever you call it.We are still animals,sort of creepy but true.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2019 at 12:32 AM, openozy said:

I don't think either means much compared to chemistry,smell, scent, whatever you call it.We are still animals,sort of creepy but true.

I agree, but the incredible complexity of the human sexual-psyche has apparently evolved to include powerful subsets of "attraction" unique to humans.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's a good question. I want to say that personality should always be most important, but let's be honest, looks are important too. We want to be physically attracted to whoever we're with. I think importance depends on the time. For example, looks are likely more important when you first meet someone. Down the line though, personality matter more.

I think most people think they can garner something of the personality and character of people, simply by appearances. I think it is true, to a degree, so the division between looks and personality, is probably an artificial one. Add in other cues like, for example tone of voice, and we have other powerful signals that are picked up on, not always consciously. Many a person has "fallen" for someone at the other end of a telephone line, without ever having seen them, and disappointment is common when they do meet.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, pallidin said:

I've seen some arguments on both sides... also realizing that a "healthy mix" sometimes beats any extreme.

But WHAT, exactly, are we attracted to?

Maybe it's just so individualized that there is no hard answer.

Your thoughts?

For me, personality. But way before either of those two on your list is hygiene. You lack that, you can kiss me goodbye regardless of looks or personality.

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2019 at 12:33 PM, pallidin said:

I've seen some arguments on both sides... also realizing that a "healthy mix" sometimes beats any extreme.

But WHAT, exactly, are we attracted to?

Maybe it's just so individualized that there is no hard answer.

Your thoughts?

What is best for an egg to hatch life? To be with Yolk, or to be hollow. This makes the answer simple.

I know our society is big on looks, but for me its personality. I know women who are good looking but have crappy attitudes.