Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Manwon Lender

Can a severed head move its eyes and mouth?

30 posts in this topic

Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)

When Ann Boleyn, King Henry Vlll wife was executed on lookers in the crowd stated that when the executioner lifted up her head for the crowd her eyes and mouth were moving as if she trying to speak. Could this really be possible?

Edited by Manwon Lender

the13bats
12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

When Ann Boleyn, King Henry Vlll wife was executed on lookers in the crowd stated that when the executioner lifted up her head for the crowd her eyes and mouth were moving as if she trying to speak. Could this really be possible?

yes, sadly and gives me horrifying chills a severed head can live a few seconds, keep in mind shock trama etc, so what is reflex and what is consciences trying to communicate are 2 different things.

my wife talked of a morbid case, but i dont know its fact, the condemed ssid he would blink his eyes as long as he could and got off like 5 or 8 blinks,

• Like 5

the13bats

i was posting just as rock did and it would seem, my wifes story is thankfully myth,

this kind of stuff upsets my nerves so have at it im moving on...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Habitat

Some people have morbid interests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Manwon Lender
4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

yes, sadly and gives me horrifying chills a severed head can live a few seconds, keep in mind shock trama etc, so what is reflex and what is consciences trying to communicate are 2 different things.

my wife talked of a morbid case, but i dont know its fact, the condemed ssid he would blink his eyes as long as he could and got off like 5 or 8 blinks,

Yes it also gives chills, I would bet the people in that crowd really freaked out because back in those days people for the most part were very uneducated and superstitious. The case your wife spoke or is also very interesting, if it did happen that's really wild. Do you any more information about it?

thanks for your post.

Piney
2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes it also gives chills, I would bet the people in that crowd really freaked out because back in those days people for the most part were very uneducated and superstitious. The case your wife spoke or is also very interesting, if it did happen that's really wild. Do you any more information about it?

thanks for your post.

The case is in Rockstar's link and it's a myth. 

• Like 2

Piney
3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Hey, I carve knickknacks with chainsaws and kept dead Indians until reburial. 

I like morbid ****! :yes:

• Haha 4

Manwon Lender
14 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

That is pretty interesting, I would not have thought it would be possible, I would think that the trauma would have caused immediate shock. However, if that is completely true that is really scary, 

thanks for your post.

• Like 4

Manwon Lender
4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Hey, I carve knickknacks with chainsaws and kept dead Indians until reburial. 

I like morbid ****! :yes:

I didn't mean to be morbid, I am just really amazed that this could possible happen. Well I guess I am a little morbid, because I really wonder what they could thinking after the deed was done.

thanks for your post

• Like 1

Manwon Lender
15 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Yes they do and some people have interests in morbid interests.

thanks for your post

• Like 1

Imaginarynumber1
42 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Could this really be possible?

Not in my experience.
If anything, neurons may have been involuntary firing, causing muscle contractions. 

• Like 6

Manwon Lender
9 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Not in my experience.
If anything, neurons may have been involuntary firing, causing muscle contractions. 

I suspect your correct, so long as there is electrical impulses and blood left in the brain this movement seems plausible. Read the link that Not a Rock Star posted, that appears to be more than just involuntary movement.

• Like 2

Not A Rockstar
37 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I suspect your correct, so long as there is electrical impulses and blood left in the brain this movement seems plausible. Read the link that Not a Rock Star posted, that appears to be more than just involuntary movement.

Perhaps, but, there is no way to know what the deceased perceived either. Plus, we are speaking of seconds after a lethal decapitation, too. A couple seconds for shock and death to close in is plausible, but a prolonged event (> about 30 seconds) I would not believe and if there was motion it would be autonomous, I'd think, and brief. 

The whole notion of public executions and gaping crowds is kind of horrifying to me and that for the masses back then it was entertainment and a near carnival event is even more horrifying to me. But, the science of death and dying in itself isn't morbid IMO to wonder about and there are a lot of claims that require looking closer at to know the truth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and then

I'd have to see this to believe it.  Ever jump up suddenly from a seated or reclining position?  As we get a little older or if we've been ill or dehydrated we experience a little treat called "orthostatic hypotension".  It's a sudden drop in blood pressure where the heart has to rev up a bit to supply the body in a radically new position in a brief moment of time.  The heart has to "catch up" so to speak.  When you experience it you can get dizzy, even blackout.  THAT'S just from a sudden move with a "closed" circulatory system.  Opening the system completely, just beneath the brain will tend to put the lights out instantly.  Certainly, it would stop all nervous feedback.  Beheading by Guillotine is a morbid, creepy thing to contemplate but it's probably the next best death other than a gunshot to the brainstem.

• Like 4

Habitat

This really is a most important question. Is there a "ghoul" section to this forum ?

• Thanks 1

Manwon Lender
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

This really is a most important question. Is there a "ghoul" section to this forum ?

Come on stop trolling, no one is forcing you to participate in this thread.

have a nice day

freetoroam
4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

When he lifter her head up it would have created a movement in the lower part of the head  and hence the rest of the face, as it was no longer attached to a body and it was being raised from the top. Obviously it would have created movement in the facial features.

• Like 2

Manwon Lender
16 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

When he lifter her head up it would have created a movement in the lower part of the head  and hence the rest of the face, as it was no longer attached to a body and it was being raised from the top. Obviously it would have created movement in the facial features.

The accounts from the time stated that her eyes were moving around and that it appeared she was trying to speak. This is not the only account of such a thing happening, there are many others. Look up at the top of this post and check out the link posted by Not A Rock Star, it is even more bizarre.

freetoroam
45 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

It really is not that bizarre. What would be bizarre is if it was still concious and talking for several minutes after.

When the severed head is raised, due to gravitation pull, as there is not attached body, the skin of the head from the neck area with be forced down, hence the whole face will have the look as if it the mouth and eyes are moving.

Anyway, what is your aim over this? Even if the brain was consious for a few seconds, it is not as if it can tell us how it feels.

Bizarre is the chicken who can run around after having its head chopped off, humans can not do that one. But it is all explainable:

The brain does not control all body movements. Some movements are to a great extent controlled by neural networks in the spinal cord. This is why a chicken can run away after youchop its head off. ... If you chopthe head off a chicken, it can still run around for a few seconds.

Its down to nerves.

• Like 1

Imaginarynumber1
2 hours ago, Habitat said:

There should be

Manwon Lender
26 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It really is not that bizarre. What would be bizarre is if it was still concious and talking for several minutes after.

When the severed head is raised, due to gravitation pull, as there is not attached body, the skin of the head from the neck area with be forced down, hence the whole face will have the look as if it the mouth and eyes are moving.

Anyway, what is your aim over this? Even if the brain was consious for a few seconds, it is not as if it can tell us how it feels.

Bizarre is the chicken who can run around after having its head chopped off, humans can not do that one. But it is all explainable:

Its down to nerves.

I had a relative that owned a farm. I use to stay with them in the summer and help out. I have chopped the head off a chicken and seen first hand how they will run around. The first time I did it they didn't tell what would happen, it kinda freaked me out. Now whats rely freaky are snakes, if you cut the head off a snake they will still bite, I found this out when I cut the head off a rattle snake. I went to kick it into the woods and the dam thing bit my boot and did not want to let go, I had to grab the head and pull it off.

You asked what my aim was with this thread, was just interested in people opinions on the subject. I recently read about what Henry VIII had done, it also talked about the story of the Queens beheading. I wondered if anyone else had heard about it or if they heard about anything similar to it. 

Thanks for your thoughts

• Like 1

pallidin

Yeah. I once chopped-off the head of a deadly coral snake (it was on a human trail path) and, with its head still in my shovel, was still flicking its tounge.

Rather odd site that I still remember 30-years later.

• Like 3

freetoroam
11 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

You asked what my aim was with this thread, was just interested in people opinions on the subject. I recently read about what Henry VIII had done, it also talked about the story of the Queens beheading. I wondered if anyone else had heard about it or if they heard about anything similar to it. 

Thanks for your thoughts

Nature can seen very strange sometimes.

If anything, humans are the weekest,  chop our heads off and thats it. Without medical intervention if we lose a limb, it does not grow back, unlike these:

Many animals can regenerate-that is, regrow or grow new parts of their bodies to replace those that have been damaged. Here are a few of these amazing creatures.

https://www.factmonster.com/math-science/biology/plants-animals/animals-that-regenerate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Manwon Lender
5 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Nature can seen very strange sometimes.

If anything, humans are the weekest,  chop our heads off and thats it. Without medical intervention if we lose a limb, it does not grow back, unlike these:

Yes it is pretty amazing that some reptiles can grow new limbs. The medical community has been studying this intensely over the last 20 years. They have been attempting to isolate the genetic code that allows them to do this. It appears that there may be some hope that with gene splicing they may be able to introduce this ability to humans. I am uncertain if this is a good idea or not, anyway who knows what the future may bring. I kinda think just because we can do something, doesn't always mean that we should, sometimes things should just be left alone.

Take care

• Like 1