Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Manwon Lender

Can a severed head move its eyes and mouth?

30 posts in this topic

freetoroam
5 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes it is pretty amazing that some reptiles can grow new limbs. The medical community has been studying this intensely over the last 20 years. They have been attempting to isolate the genetic code that allows them to do this. It appears that there may be some hope that with gene splicing they may be able to introduce this ability to humans. I am uncertain if this is a good idea or not, anyway who knows what the future may bring. I kinda think just because we can do something, doesn't always mean that we should, sometimes things should just be left alone.

Take care

Growing cells is one thing, but a limb? Not sure they could ever do that. The wonders they can do with prosthetics so far is pretty amazing and cool. 

There will be advancements, based on this

Prosthetics may soon take on a whole new feel. That’s because researchers have created a new type of artificial nerve that can sense touch, process information, and communicate with other nerves much like those in our own bodies do

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/05/new-artificial-nerves-could-transform-prosthetics

Although amazing, they can only use artificial implants as we are not able to grow back whole limbs. As for heads, 

A head transplant is an experimental surgical operation involving the grafting of one organism's head onto the body of another; in many experiments the recipient's head was not removed but in others it has been. Experimentation in animals began in the early 1900s. As of 2019, no lasting successes have been achieved

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_transplant

There is nothing the surgeons will not attempt or have attempted, that goes back centuries, call it 'curiousity' ? Plenty of Dr Frankensteins out there.

Susanc241

It seems that many experiments (many sources) using rats and ECGs seem to indicate that consciousness lasts 3-4 seconds with brain (cell) death after about a minute, providing the decapitation is clean and swift.  This seems perfectly reasonable to me if it also relates to human beings, but apart from apocryphal reports of eyes still appearing 'alive' and focussed for a few seconds before acquiring the dullness found in death, we will probably never know.

Scholar4Truth

If chickens can run around and move for a brief few seconds after the head is severed, then its possible for humans.

jmccr8
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 8:21 PM, Manwon Lender said:

When Ann Boleyn, King Henry Vlll wife was executed on lookers in the crowd stated that when the executioner lifted up her head for the crowd her eyes and mouth were moving as if she trying to speak. Could this really be possible?

Hi Manwon

I guess you have never cut the head off a chicken, yes the eyes and mouth move while the body runs around. I was working in a steel plant on the furnaces back in the 70s and one of the fellows got splashed with molten steel in the pour bay where they made ingots, it caught him at the base of the neck and he was dead but ran around for what seemed like a couple minutes, not a pretty sight.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
correction of comment

jmccr8
On 6/12/2019 at 8:40 AM, freetoroam said:

Growing cells is one thing, but a limb? Not sure they could ever do that. The wonders they can do with prosthetics so far is pretty amazing and cool.

Hi Freetoroam

I remember back in the 60s when I was in grade school the French were tricking cells to regrow frogs legs but they were not as long or well formed as the original and have never looked into it.

Frog May Teach Humans How to Regrow Limbs

jmccr8