Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Chernobyl tourists taking selfies criticised

Still Waters

Tourists posting photos of themselves smiling and posing provocatively at Chernobyl have come under criticism online. 

Popular HBO mini-series Chernobyl has prompted a surge in bookings for trips to the area and the nearby town of Pripyat, abandoned following the 1986 Ukrainian nuclear disaster.

Visitors who have shared pictures online of people striking irreverent poses in the exclusion zone have been deemed disrespectful by other social media users. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/113419524/chernobyl-visitors-criticised-for-disrespectful-photos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48608713

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Piney

Another graveyard from another tragedy that should be left in peace or at least shown respect...........:hmm:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Iilaa'mpuul'xem

So disrespectful... :angry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'Walt' E. Kurtz

I remember when it happened as i live in Sweden it was indeed a scary time. Very disrespectful to those who died and to those who gave their life to save others.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

freetoroam

Absolutely no respect or interest in visiting out of curiousity.

People can be idiots with their phones. They actually believe taking stupid photos to post on line is ok, that is what is scary about the human race.

They visit a man made disaster zone and instead of visiting and coming away with some knowlege about mans mistakes, they add to the list of mistakes by doing this. 

Has the internet created a new bread of stupid humans?   Seems so.

• Thanks 1

Herr Falukorv
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Impedancer said:

I remember when it happened as i live in Sweden it was indeed a scary time. Very disrespectful to those who died and to those who gave their life to save others.

I live in Sweden too but I dont remember it as scary..

567281136.webp?mw=400&mh=305

But we still have a lot of cesium in the ground on some places.
We could read in media recently that in some parts of the country the amount of cesium 137 in wild boars are quite high..
Most of the downfall were on the eastcost

Edited by Herr Falukorv
  • Like 1

'Walt' E. Kurtz
6 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

I live in Sweden too but I dont remember it as scary..
But we still have a lot of cesium in the ground on some places.
We could read in media recently that in some parts of the country the amount of cesium 137 in wild boars are quite high..

And elks. 

• Like 1

Herr Falukorv
Posted (edited)

I actually thought we got alot of radioactive downfall, but I read that in Gävle which was the place where most downfall occured.
The radiation you got there on a year is like going to the dentist and take 4 pictures.. 50 microsievert :):D 

Edited by Herr Falukorv
  • Like 1

Helen of Annoy

At least they're not taking souvenirs. 

Iilaa'mpuul'xem
4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Absolutely no respect or interest in visiting out of curiousity.

Visiting out of curiosity is also disrespectful. 

If you want to be curious, use Google.

• Like 1

freetoroam
7 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Visiting out of curiosity is also disrespectful. 

If you want to be curious, use Google.

Thats what i did and i watched the video.

I would not go there, the 'history' is not of any cultural interest for me to visit and I have no personal  past history or family connections to the place.

I can understand if the people who do go have a history there, or if some film directors or writers go, but to go and then take stupid photos??? these fools have no idea about respect so its not even worth telling them about it, they are plain and simply stupid. 

I can see them coming away from there saying "that was fun" :(

• Thanks 1

'Walt' E. Kurtz
2 hours ago, Herr Falukorv said:

I actually thought we got alot of radioactive downfall, but I read that in Gävle which was the place where most downfall occured.
The radiation you got there on a year is like going to the dentist and take 4 pictures.. 50 microsievert :):D 

Sadly Chernobyl still effects people and from what I've heard the downfall could have been worse, it is said it depended on the winds.