Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hail Death

OverSword

Nestled in a valley high in the Himalayas in northern India is a small lake named Roopkund, known locally as Mystery Lake. The area around Roopkund Lake is uninhabited; at an altitude of over five kilometers, the lake is frozen for all but one month out of the year, and ice storms occasionally pose a significant threat. The mystery concerns the origin of the occupants of the lake: not fish or other common lake-dwellers, but hundreds of human skeletons.

Link

• Like 8

An alternative to the sky burials common to the area. 

Im not sure I buy the hailstorm theory..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Apparently it was a very popular guided hike in India. For about $11,000.00. It's not allowed anymore. 

https://indiahikes.com/roopkund/

The ban was due to legislation to protect the natural environment in the area and forbid camping. It seems the ban was lifted later, but not for Roopkund.

https://www.himalayanclimber.com/trekking-ban-in-uttarakhand-lifted/

I'm not so sure about the hailstone theory either.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

Im not sure I buy the hailstorm theory..

31 minutes ago, susieice said:

Apparently it was a very popular guided hike in India. For about $11,000.00. It's not allowed anymore. 

https://indiahikes.com/roopkund/

The ban was due to legislation to protect the natural environment in the area and forbid camping. It seems the ban was lifted later, but not for Roopkund.

https://www.himalayanclimber.com/trekking-ban-in-uttarakhand-lifted/

I'm not so sure about the hailstone theory either.

Hundreds killed by baseball sized objects hitting the top of their heads in an area that has frequent ice storms? 

Hail-Damaged-Car.jpg

There is no other theory that would fit unless you're going to assume mass human sacrifice at 5km up a mountain.  Which one makes more sense?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Can post pictures of dented cars huh...I see.

Good example of the damage a hailstone can do.  Site rules prevent me from doing the same with human heads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Good example of the damage a hailstone can do.  Site rules prevent me from doing the same with human heads.

No ****! Got a half mind to leave and not come back!

1 minute ago, Alien Origins said:

Thats got pictures of skulls its not allowed on the DAMN forum!

Meh.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Thats got pictures of skulls its not allowed on the DAMN forum!

There's no rule against posting or linking to images of old bones/skulls.

The 'graphic content' rule applies to images of dead bodies, graphic violence, gore, nudity etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Don't matter..I have deleted every thing in my account I can I am the hell outta here!

• Confused 2

Just now, Alien Origins said:

Don't matter..I have deleted every thing in my account I can I am the hell outta here!

Just trying to understand your mindset here - we removed a single post of yours that contained an image of a naked human corpse - can you clarify specifically what you are objecting to ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Serious. I have had tons of things deleted over the years. Chalk it up as a loss/lesson and move forward. 

• Thanks 5

42 minutes ago, OverSword said:

There is no other theory that would fit unless you're going to assume mass human sacrifice at 5km up a mountain.  Which one makes more sense?

The most plausible explanation and the one I believe is true is that Roopkund lake was a watering whole for the abominable snowman (also called yeti).
The ancient Iranians were hiking there when the thirsty snowmen appeared.
Furious that someone had taken their wateringhole they set upon the humans with rocks and old frozen potatoes.
The evidence of this massacre is there to this day.

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Someone is having a rough day :unsure:

Imagine how it will feel when he/she realizes there is no better place to be, anywhere on the web?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, quiXilver said:

An alternative to the sky burials common to the area. 

In the Iranian practice the body can't touch the ground and they used a "Tower of Silence"

36 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Serious. I have had tons of things deleted over the years. Chalk it up as a loss/lesson and move forward. 

How many of my posts were "nuked"! :lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Hundreds killed by baseball sized objects hitting the top of their heads in an area that has frequent ice storms? 

Hail-Damaged-Car.jpg

Or maybe it was used as a burial ground for hundreds of years.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

They all died about the same time and like I said above. Iranian Zoroastrians and Buddhists wouldn't let a body touch the ground and built buildings to house them. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, and then said:

Imagine how it will feel when he/she realizes there is no better place to be, anywhere on the web?  

I have to agree with you. This is about the only good forum for general and varied discussion I've found. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Not a chance.  Do a google map search for the lake and then zoom out until you can see Iran.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Hail-Damaged-Car.jpg

I don't know. Ice storms happen in a lot of places pretty frequently. If it was a hail storm, it must have been of a rare type because a lot of people have gone up there and haven't mentioned enormous hailstones coming down. Freak storms happen but I'm just not convinced that's what this was. I wonder if there were any survivors that left some kind of a record some where. Are there other records from the area saying they saw storms with that size hail?

Edited by susieice

There are local legends about a goddess who caused a hailstorm as punishment. This article also stresses that going there was the most popular trek in India. It also mentions something else interesting. If these people were Iranian travelers and local guides, why are there no skeletons of pack animals? There have been things, like leather shoes, found with the corpses.

https://www.bikatadventures.com/Home/Blog/Unrevealed-Mystery-of-the-Beauty

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/roopkund-the-mysterious-skeleton-lake-of-india.html

• Thanks 1