Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Zombie' snake lies on its back and plays dead

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to 'Zombie' snake lies on its back and plays dead

This is not uncomman in the animal world, hell I have played this card a few times also.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When I was a kid I carried a small hog-nose around in my front shirt pocket. The were just neat to have. I could send the neighbor girls a running. :lol:

I lost the snake in a cornfield and about 3 months later I was driving the tractor through the field and spied the snake. Of course I aggravated the snake to get him to spread his head and play dead and then I put him in my hat where he proceeded to regurgitate his last meal. :rolleyes:

Ahh! the fun of growing up on a farm. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Living here in the UK I've never had the oportunity to meet one of these.
Have heard of the western Hognose though (through youtube).

This guy has a Hognose that always seems p'd off.

Very cute.

Edited by Kaikou
  • Like 1

I love them. I found one next to my side porch one summer and he was dramatic as all hell. If he sensed movement from me, he'd immediately flip over, mouth agape and would actually slobber. I moved him indoors and just left him on the hardwood floor so my then girlfriend could watch him. After a few minutes, if he sensed nothing was around, he'd VERY slowly come back to life and right himself. But the second he knew you were there, he'd instantly flip over and drool with his mouth open. Funniest snake ever. We just videoed it (I don't have it anymore) a few times and then let him go. Funny stuff. 

By the way, they won't send you to the ER or anything, but hognose snakes do have a very mild venom and a small set of fangs in the back of their mouths. They call them toad poppers in some regions. I know one girl who was bitten and her arm swelled a fair amount for a few days. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Ahh! the fun of growing up on a farm. :)

I use to rescue the black snakes from the dogs when they'd tense up like a spring then "pee-poop" on your arms as you carry them down the hedgerow. :lol:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

By the way, they won't send you to the ER or anything, but hognose snakes do have a very mild venom and a small set of fangs in the back of their mouths. They call them toad poppers in some regions. I know one girl who was bitten and her arm swelled a fair amount for a few days. 

I'm allergic to horse venom so when I'm tagged by a rattler I have to "ride the wave" very painful...very, very painful. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm allergic to horse venom so when I'm tagged by a rattler I have to "ride the wave" very painful...very, very painful. 

What ones do you normally get tagged by? 

Crotalin is only administerable once in a lifetime, anyway. Were you treated with antivenin once and they tried to give it to you again? 

1 minute ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

What ones do you normally get tagged by? 

Crotalin is only administerable once in a lifetime, anyway. Were you treated with antivenin once and they tried to give it to you again? 

I was treated with it once during a "round up" of timber rattlers for relocation and went into cardiac arrrest. That was after the patch test cleared me. I was bitten once more by a timber rattler and just laid in the hospital for a week being monitored and I.V.ed 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

The article called them a puff adder, so I had to go look it up, because I thought puff adders were very dangerous. Turns out the "real" puff adders live in Africa. This guy is sometimes called a puff adder because they will try to puff up to scare a predator.

:tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The snake is assuming the attacking animal knows what being dead looks like. In fact the snake is assuming what being dead looks like. These types of snakes make a lot of assumptions.

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, UM-Bot said:

Officials in North Carolina recently posted a notice on Facebook about one snake's rather unusual behavior.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/328464/zombie-snake-lies-on-its-back-and-plays-dead

Seen a possum doing the same thing in central america after encountering dog, it was clearly a fail ! lol

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Piney said:

I was treated with it once during a "round up" of timber rattlers for relocation and went into cardiac arrrest. That was after the patch test cleared me. I was bitten once more by a timber rattler and just laid in the hospital for a week being monitored and I.V.ed 

Your too nice,where I live all the snakes are deadly and you see them on a daily basis in the warmer months.They don't play dead until you introduce them to the .410.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, openozy said:

Your too nice,where I live all the snakes are deadly and you see them on a daily basis in the warmer months.They don't play dead until you introduce them to the .410.

45 LC snakeshot. Same diameter longer wad.  :yes:

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Seen a possum doing the same thing in central america after encountering dog, it was clearly a fail ! lol

Glad you mentioned Possums...

Possum snake would have suited considering the behaviour, I gues Zombie Snake would just get more attention on Facebook.

• Haha 1