Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jon Stewarts 911 first responders speech

OverSword

Especially galling when we learn that they spend most of their working time on the phone with wealthy donors.  Campaigns are soooo expensive.

I have to give Jon Stewart credit for taking what must have been an incredibly deflating moment - seeing all those empty chairs - and turning on the Shakespeare.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

If this doesn't prove to you that our overlords don't see us as real or important past the votes we can give them, and won't hesitate to throw us onto a garbage heap or ignore us and our well being I don't know what would.

What especially gets me about it is that I'd bet there are some congresspeople who didn't show up for this that nonetheless invoke or demagogue about 9/11 when they're trying to get elected or get some bill passed.

• Like 5

House panel passes 9/11 victims fund bill a day after Jon Stewart's emotional testimony

what  especially gets me is, they would not be in a this position if everyone wore masks all the time, at ground zero.  google pics of wtc ruins, wtc first responders, 911 scene, s&r wtc......etc  you will see how many first responders were not wearing masks, while working at ground zero. you can see ash, smoke in the air. but they have masks off , some wore under their chins.   

It's time to liquidate whatever is left of that volunteer fund and place those volunteers with known health issues under the V.A. system.  They should get the same care as our military members with 100% disability.  JMO.

• Like 4

… but congress does have $5 billion in foreign aid to give to Mexico, who is helping undocumented migrants get into America.  You wonder now why I am a Libertarian?  :(

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Jon Stewarts 911 first responders speech
15 hours ago, and then said:

It's time to liquidate whatever is left of that volunteer fund and place those volunteers with known health issues under the V.A. system.  They should get the same care as our military members with 100% disability.  JMO.

The same problem with the VA system, they never have enough funding.  There still needs to be more funding, and the verterans are treated as badly as those first responders.  It took 50 years for my friend who was in Viet Nam to get VA to give him medical care for the health issues he experiences, and has for 50 years, from exposure to agent orange.  It is a bad habit our congress and senate have of lining their own pockets and their owner's pockets before anything else.

• Like 2

This and so many other instances like it is why I want one term representatives.  If they could not run for a second term, they would not need fresh campaign donors.  Maybe the job would attract more people that want to serve and fewer looking for a cushy , lucrative career.  I am not quite fool enough to believe it would solve all of our problems, but  at least some would go away and some fresh ones arise to be solved in their turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The original design was that people would serve the country for 2 years then go home to their real life.  They only got a stipend, not a salaray and medical benefits for life.

• Thanks 1

One year isn't long enough to accomplish anything of worth. I say they should have the same limits as the president. 4 years, if they do a good job and get the votes they could get a 2nd 4 year term. 8 years is plenty.

Speaking of VA, my uncle did 3 tours in Vietnam and is in a nursing home right now with dementia...possibly from Agent Orange exposure. It's a beautiful place 100% paid for. My bil, also a Vietnam vet, had several medical procedures done and was in a support group at his VA that was great. Maybe it depends on individual states or areas?

6 minutes ago, skliss said:

One year isn't long enough to accomplish anything of worth. I say they should have the same limits as the president. 4 years, if they do a good job and get the votes they could get a 2nd 4 year term. 8 years is plenty.

Speaking of VA, my uncle did 3 tours in Vietnam and is in a nursing home right now with dementia...possibly from Agent Orange exposure. It's a beautiful place 100% paid for. My bil, also a Vietnam vet, had several medical procedures done and was in a support group at his VA that was great. Maybe it depends on individual states or areas?

I too, have never had a negative experience with the VA.  I guess it could come down to location, as I have only ever been to two.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skliss said:

Yes, it does.  My friend in Texas took her husband to several VA hospitals, 2 in Texas, one in Conecticut and one somewhere else before she brought him to Albuquerque.  She said of the 5 she had experienced, Albuquqerque was the best, and if that is so, it is pretty bad because there are always people waiting at the Albuquerque VA hospital, it is always packed and never enough beds.  Another friend's husband was in the navy and has cancer caused by agent oragne.  He is a small business owner and has been paying for his treatments and using his insurance (which now costs him 4 times as much because of the insurance lobbyists and the bad job congress is doing with the healthcare bill) because the treatments aren't available at the VA.

One thing Jon Stewart said addressed the health care issues across the board.  Can't remember the exact quote now.

Edited by Desertrat56

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, it does.  My friend in Texas took her husband to several VA hospitals, 2 in Texas, one in Conecticut and one somewhere else before she brought him to Albuquerque.  She said of the 5 she had experienced, Albuquqerque was the best, and if that is so, it is pretty bad because there are always people waiting at the Albuquerque VA hospital, it is always packed and never enough beds.  Another friend's husband was in the navy and has cancer caused by agent oragne.  He is a small business owner and has been paying for his treatments and using his insurance (which now costs him 4 times as much because of the insurance lobbyists and the bad job congress is doing with the healthcare bill) because the treatments aren't available at the VA.

One thing Jon Stewart said addressed the health care issues across the board.  Can't remember the exact quote now.

Sorry to hear that! The only thing i can come up with is both my brother-in-law and my uncle are in/near big cities? My bil in Pittsburgh and my Uncle near Cleveland.  My bil was not a "lifer" in the military but my Uncle made it his career, retired and went in to the private sector. 

9 minutes ago, skliss said:

Sorry to hear that! The only thing i can come up with is both my brother-in-law and my uncle are in/near big cities? My bil in Pittsburgh and my Uncle near Cleveland.  My bil was not a "lifer" in the military but my Uncle made it his career, retired and went in to the private sector. 

I am glad to hear there are good facilities.  And it probably does depend on the state, which it shouldn't.