Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Ocean on Jupiter's moon Europa has table salt

6 posts in this topic

Eldorado

"The huge ocean sloshing beneath the ice shell of the Jupiter moon Europa may be intriguingly similar to the seas of Earth, a new study suggests.

"Scientists have generally thought that sulfate salts dominate Europa's subsurface ocean, which harbors about twice as much water as all of Earth's seas put together. But the Hubble Space Telescope has detected the likely presence of sodium chloride (NaCl) on Europa's frigid surface, the study reports.

"The NaCl — the same stuff that makes up plain old table salt — is probably coming from the ocean, study team members said. And that's pretty exciting, given that the saltiness of Earth's oceans comes primarily from NaCl."

Full monty at Space dot com: https://www.space.com/jupiter-moon-europa-ocean-has-table-salt.html

"Europa’s salty surface may indicate an ocean that’s good for life"

Full report at the New Scientist: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2206315-europas-salty-surface-may-indicate-an-ocean-thats-good-for-life/

• Like 3

Seti42

I love Europa news. Hopefully, we'll get some probes there to answer the 'is there life there?' question unequivocally before I die.

• Like 3

Silver Surfer

Who needs sea salt or Himalayan salt when you can have Europa Salt on you meal!

TXGULFCOAST
Posted (edited)

They can see what's going on here and have posted "NO TRESPASSING" signs.

Edited by TXGULFCOAST
2nd half of comment did not post

DirtyDocMartens

Man, I'm glad there are smart people out there. If I was the guy responsible for figuring all this stuff out we still wouldn't know that the moon is made out of green cheese.

TripGun

Isn't that where Euro-Disney is?