Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ogopogo sighting on video

Commander CMG

Copyright does not apply to non-commercial and/or educational uses...

dpxuo5.jpg

A fin?

A large creature moving through the water at or just under the surface would displace water such as to create its own wake as it moved yet in the video there is none:

r7tcpd.jpg

The video also shows no boats in the immediate vicinity but that does not rule boat wake out as an explanation. Drop a small stone in a small pond and the ripples spread out and then back as they echo back from the shore creating unusual patterns and shapes as the ripples cross each other. Large bodies moving through larger lakes also create wakes which last a considerable time and whose waves ripple out and back from the edges and are capable of creating such phantom wakes/waves as shown in the video. Since Lake Okanagan (like Loch Ness coincidentally) is long and narrow in shape we should expect to see such phantom wakes/waves running length-wise - being created as the wake of the long past boat echo back and forth between the narrow shores and then intersect - again, this is what we see in the video...

The witness was there and seemed to experience it differently (the many humped lake monster is an ancient and powerful motif) but his own video supports the more mundane explanation. It is a shame the witness speaks for his son on the paddle-board who was closer to the disturbance rather than having the son speak for himself...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is a shame the witness speaks for his son on the paddle-board who was closer to the disturbance rather than having the son speak for himself...

might be the kid didnt see it or saw it as um, waves, i would have expected if the kid saw a monster he would be reacting as such in the film and would have been beside dad saying so , but i wont be surprized if the kid does give his impression afterall attention is fun  ( to some )

still tell me this, why wasnt dad concerned a lake monster might harm his kid?

• Like 2

Good video, but after viewing it several times, I see nothing to dismiss the possibility that these are separate, same-species small aquatic mammals moving in unison.

Linear group-movement is not unusual in the animal kingdom, and unison "flipper" movement is consistent with "pack behavior"

This is not one single creature. IMO.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Good video, but after viewing it several times, I see nothing to dismiss the possibility that these are separate, same-species small aquatic mammals moving in unison.

Linear group-movement is not unusual in the animal kingdom, and unison "flipper" movement is consistent with "pack behavior"

i really thought about what others have said like possible blantant hoax, towing something or now like you suggest creatures,

ogopogo-nickell-2(2).jpg.10d7977bf538fffa926bf0db8a9863f5.jpg

but my loose bet at the moment weighing in all info i have is just waves albeit odd ones,

seems the guy got up and fliming pretty quickly and i didnt see concerns for his sons safety, also appears it was a popular day at the lake other people would have seen it too...had it not been waves that is.

19 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Looks suspiciously like waves. 

Look more closely.  There are definite fins paddling away there.  They break the water and take visible strokes.  LINK  That isn't "just a wave".  IDK what it is, but it isn't just a wave.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Look more closely.  There are definite fins paddling away there.  They break the water and take visible strokes.  LINK  That isn't "just a wave".  IDK what it is, but it isn't just a wave.

i would thank someone to post these fins, i dont really see fins but see what might be fins or hum

Edited by the13bats

Just now, the13bats said:

i would thank someone to post these fins, i dont really see fins but see what might be fins or hum

You can see the fins chop and stroke as they break the surface of the water, then they move as a thin black line, in perfect synchrony. Like the fellow says, it's like a dragon boat in reverse.  It might be an optical illusion, but it is a really good one if that is the case.  In any case, the chances of a body of water like that producing what is clearly a wake spontaneously and without any obvious and immediate cause (like a power boat) is a bit unusual, yet this one has a clear direction it is travelling in.  I think this video deserves a bit more attention.

• Like 2

The wake of a power boat is V-shaped.  I can't see that here.

• Like 3

i never said boat wake but did say waves, i see each subject looks too much like the last for me, but no, i dont see fins, but can see how it could look like that or be that, odd if its a creature the head doesnt pop

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

im slow and missing the part with a circle and its painful to watch with more video of the cameraman than the waves, but it is copyrighted...so perhaps there is book and movie deal coming up.

It’s not a circle drawn on, it’s a zoom in and a highlight. Pretty near the beginning.

I see the "fins" people are talking about but I believe they are actually a product of zooming in causing artifacts to form in the image.  There are no fins, that I can see at, normal view, just a darker part of the wave as it flips over but zooming n causes that darker area to slidify and appear to be an object.  Overturn sounds like the best explanation to me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I see the "fins" people are talking about but I believe they are actually a product of zooming in causing artifacts to form in the image.  There are no fins, that I can see at, normal view, just a darker part of the wave as it flips over but zooming n causes that darker area to slidify and appear to be an object.  Overturn sounds like the best explanation to me

I see the fins, and I see them exactly the same and in every wave which are all also exactly the same. Those waves do not spread out or disturb the water around them at all. That’s  why I still believe CGI hoax.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I see the fins, and I see them exactly the same and in every wave which are all also exactly the same. Those waves do not spread out or disturb the water around them at all. That’s  why I still believe CGI hoax.

Maybe ChLzs will check in and take a look as I am simply making a best guess.

4 hours ago, pallidin said:

This was my thought too.

:)

• Like 1

Just looks like waves to me, the "fins" look like artifacts/waves cresting.

This does not convince me of anything.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

I don�t think these are standalone waves, given that you CAN see minor splashes from the different bumps, nor is it the wake of a boat given that you are missing the classical �V�.

I suspect that a boat is involved and that the gentleman recording is unaware of the whole thing. I believe that a boat is pulling along a net, or some debris like a log, with the branches cut off, that�s bobbing and bringing the �flippers� (read branch stumps or net floats) up and down into the water and causing a micro splash.

My two cents.

8 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

whatever it is, it won't be unknown to us

I agree. We've all heard of the Ogopogo.

;)

• Haha 3

It should be noted that this sighting did not occur in the reputed home of Ogopogo, Lake Okanagan but in Skaha Lake several km to the south...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/13/2019 at 12:18 PM, papageorge1 said:

I was aware that eyewitness evidence is imperfect and factored that into my thoughts on this case.

Multiple witnesses makes the case stronger too. 

Our eyes are generally rather reliable in normal daylight.

Hi Papa

I spent a fair it of time in that area and all I ever heard was stories, never saw the beast.

jmccr8

• Like 2

17 hours ago, the13bats said:

i really thought about what others have said like possible blantant hoax, towing something or now like you suggest creatures,

ogopogo-nickell-2(2).jpg.10d7977bf538fffa926bf0db8a9863f5.jpg

but my loose bet at the moment weighing in all info i have is just waves albeit odd ones,

seems the guy got up and fliming pretty quickly and i didnt see concerns for his sons safety, also appears it was a popular day at the lake other people would have seen it too...had it not been waves that is.

Just thought I would add this

You ‘otter’ believe it – Kelowna Capital News

jmccr8

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Papa

I spent a fair it of time in that area and all I ever heard was stories, never saw the beast.

jmccr8

Timing might be everything in the crypto business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Just thought I would add this

You ‘otter’ believe it – Kelowna Capital News

jmccr8

i fished a couple local lakes over 40 years and knew the creatures, but a few years ago before we moved from orlando one lake had a family of otters move in and it was very much a shock to a lot of people as they had never been there before.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 10:57 PM, the13bats said:

i never said boat wake but did say waves, i see each subject looks too much like the last for me, but no, i dont see fins, but can see how it could look like that or be that, odd if its a creature the head doesnt pop

I am in complete agreemwnt, there are definitely waves.  But those waves are in a surprisingly narrow band, and obviously travelling in single direction, as if something under the water is moving them.  Now that might be an unusual underwater current that appears without any obvious ripple harmonic, or it could be a submerged object.  As to what the object is, that is up for grabs.  As I have said before, I can see fins, but that may be an optical illusion. Could it be otters swimming in a line?  Perhaps, yes?  I don't see any heads breaching the water tho, I see fins when it is in motion.  On the other hand, the still photo does look like an otter head.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1