Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1990's Gaming Magazines

TigerBright19

Boy I miss those days when we depended entirely on a brief description, a handful of screenshots and exclusive demo discs.  It felt like there was an A-list game coming out every week.  So much to choose from, and in some cases only a single preview screenshot to figure out what exactly the game was all about.  We certainly had to use our imaginations to fill in the blanks and boy did that lead to some excitement as we bought every new issue in the hopes of seeing a brand new preview screenshot as we counted down towards the release date, and replay the demo so much that ultimately (in some cases) we had more fun playing the demo than the actual full game.  :lol:

Can anyone relate to those days?

• Like 6

I can't but it makes me think about how VR is the new thing now and it probably eliminates a lot of imagination.  My nephew's friend is a VR programmer, I think he works for Occulus but it might be the competitor since I don't pay  much attention to that stuff.

I worked as a temp in the stores department at Nintendo in 1990.  That's where all the Nintendo magazines were mailed out from.  They had console versions of most of the NES games that you could play to your hearts desire if you had time (which you didn't :D)

40 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

In a way I can. I remember getting codes from Game Pro and Nintendo Power all the time. I had a subscription to Nintendo Power. I like the Nestor comic strip they had in them. I think it was Howard and Nestor?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

In a way I can. I remember getting codes from Game Pro and Nintendo Power all the time. I had a subscription to Nintendo Power. I like the Nestor comic strip they had in them. I think it was Howard and Nestor?

I mailed that to you.  You're welcome.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

From memory, the magazines I bought were:

GamesMaster

Official Playstation Magazine

PLAY

PC Gamer - remember Coconut Monkey?

PC Zone

PC Ultimate

PC Pilot

PC Pro

I remember a Cheats magazine and a Mortal Kombat magazine that released the codes for fatalities on the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis.  I could not afford the magazine, so I used to secretly write down the cursor moves on my hand.  ;)  I still remember the cheat codes for MK1, Golden Axe II and Sonic 2.  No saves in those days.  It was incredible when the PS1 came out and we could actually save game progress on a memory card.  Trouble was they had limited space and choosing which saves to delete or keep was a conundrum - unless you could afford two memory cards.  ;)

Edited by Aaron2016

Yes I remember. 

I'll be 35 this year. 

Damn I feel old. I remember my parents taking me to Kmart and picking up original Nintendo when it first came out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

Boy I miss those days when we depended entirely on a brief description, a handful of screenshots and exclusive demo discs.  It felt like there was an A-list game coming out every week.  So much to choose from, and in some cases only a single preview screenshot to figure out what exactly the game was all about.  We certainly had to use our imaginations to fill in the blanks and boy did that lead to some excitement as we bought every new issue in the hopes of seeing a brand new preview screenshot as we counted down towards the release date, and replay the demo so much that ultimately (in some cases) we had more fun playing the demo than the actual full game.  :lol:

I used to go to the shop every Saturday morning and get my copy of Zapp and try out all my new games and demos on the C64 cassette tape. Then I progressed to Amiga Format when I got my Amiga 500+.

Boy have things changed now.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I used to go to the shop every Saturday morning and get my copy of Zapp an try out all my new games and demos on the C64 cassette tape. Then I progressed to Amiga Format when I got my Amiga 500+.

Don't feel old remembering that.  I was grown before any of that was a thing.  My dad paid 200.00 for a calculator that does the same thing the free/give away calculators do now.  And it was a desk top size.  When I was in college the pocket size calculators were bigger than the current Galaxy phone.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Don't feel old remembering that.  I was grown before any of that was a thing.  My dad paid 200.00 for a calculator that does the same thing the free/give away calculators do now.  And it was a desk top size.  When I was in college the pocket size calculators were bigger than the current Galaxy phone.

I remember my `yuppie` Auntie showing off her new mobile phone.

She looked like she was holding a brick as she was wondering around her living room lol.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I remember my `yuppie` Auntie showing off her new mobile phone.

She looked like she was holding a brick as she was wondering around her living room lol.

LOL.  I remember those.  My boss had one he carried around everywhere.  It took 2 days for the battery to charge so he had to have an extra battery.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I used to go to the shop every Saturday morning and get my copy of Zapp an try out all my new games and demos on the C64 cassette tape. Then I progressed to Amiga Format when I got my Amiga 500+.

Ah yes!  The good old Commodore 64.  Loved those floppy diskettes and cassette tapes.  Remember games like Elvira, Pitfall, Arnie, Creatures 2, Airborne Ranger, Top Duck, DJ Puff, Park Patrol, and Dizzy the Egg.  

The most memorable game I played back then was Tower of Terror:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I can't but it makes me think about how VR is the new thing now and it probably eliminates a lot of imagination.  My nephew's friend is a VR programmer, I think he works for Occulus but it might be the competitor since I don't pay  much attention to that stuff.

VR is the new Kinect. It will be an option for an enthusiastic minority. No way I'm trading my 65 inch 4K screen for it. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

LOL.  I remember those.  My boss had one he carried around everywhere.  It took 2 days for the battery to charge so he had to have an extra battery.

OMG and the Filofax lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

VR is the new Kinect. It will be an option for an enthusiastic minority. No way I'm trading my 65 inch 4K screen for it. 

It is just the first attempt at a holo deck like star trek has.  Eventually it will be interactive like that too.  But there are people who have been waiting for years to be able to download their consciousness into a robot or computer so that they can 'live forever'.  Ha!  Escapists.

7 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

Ah yes!  The good old Commodore 64.  Loved those floppy diskettes and cassette tapes.  Remember games like Elvira, Pitfall, Arnie, Creatures 2, Airborne Ranger, Top Duck, DJ Puff, Park Patrol, and Dizzy the Egg.  

The most memorable game I played back then was Tower of Terror:

I had the dizzy one.

What was that Llama game? I got that off Zapp. The Great Escape was good, I had all the Dizzy games, Elite, Jet Set Willy, and Predator.

Do you remember Renegade? Boulderdash? IK+?

Edited by RabidMongoose

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

It is just the first attempt at a holo deck like star trek has.  Eventually it will be interactive like that too.  But there are people who have been waiting for years to be able to download their consciousness into a robot or computer so that they can 'live forever'.  Ha!  Escapists.

I have nothing against the technology. It has excellent applications in and outside gaming; it's just not for me in it's present form. It gives me a headache.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I had the dizzy one.

What was that Llama game? I got that off Zapp. The Great Escape was good, I had all the Dizzy games, Elite, Jet Set Willy, and Predator.

Do you remember Renegade? Boulderdash? IK+?

Was it Mama Llama?  The weirdest game of all was Attack of the Mutant Camels.  The best racing game I played was 'Buggy Boy'.  I remember an astronaut game with hopping space frogs called - Exile.  One of the hardest games I played was Spindizzy which was also the first game I managed to get working (took several attempts just to get the tape to load properly after 10 minutes of flashing colours).  One of the hardest games to get working was Judge Dredd.  I remember the demo of Boulder Dash, Myth,  and Cauldron (jumping pumpkin).  Developers were certainly 'on something' when they thought up these games.  :D  My brother loved Hero Quest, and my sister enjoyed Rainbow Islands and Bubble Bobble.

My Dad's personal favourite was Saint Dragon.  True what they say - Great games don't age.

• Like 1

I remember getting my first Game Shark card for cheats for my PlayStation 1  back in the early 2000's.

12 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Was it Mama Llama?  The weirdest game of all was Attack of the Mutant Camels.  The best racing game I played was 'Buggy Boy'.  I remember an astronaut game with hopping space frogs called - Exile.  One of the hardest games I played was Spindizzy which was also the first game I managed to get working (took several attempts just to get the tape to load properly after 10 minutes of flashing colours).  One of the hardest games to get working was Judge Dredd.  I remember the demo of Boulder Dash, Myth,  and Cauldron (jumping pumpkin).  Developers were certainly 'on something' when they thought up these games.  :D  My brother loved Hero Quest, and my sister enjoyed Rainbow Islands and Bubble Bobble.

My Dad's personal favourite was Saint Dragon.  True what they say - Great games don't age.

It attack of the mutant camels lol

I had exile too, I hope someday they remake that as a modern jet pack game. Was a fund puzzle game. I had rainbow islands and pipemania.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Thinking back to my first Packard Bell with Windows 95.  (cost £1,500)  but it came with Spiderman Cartoon Maker so it was worth it.  :D  The PC platform certainly dominated the game shops with those big manuals and cardboard boxes.  I was annoyed when they switched to DVD size cases and pdf manuals.  It felt like I wasn't getting my money's worth.  Wish the classic titles would make a return for current generations to enjoy with modern specs e.g.

Quake, Hexen, Exalibur, Blood, Unreal, Redneck Rampage, Descent, G-Police, Outlaws, MDK, Syndicate Wars, Little Big Adventure, Flashback, Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, Hugo's House of Horrors.......

We certainly were spoiled for choice.

I still collect them. Some of they are really hard to get, specially gamepro. I have a full shelf with lots of old videogame/PC gaming related magazines, most of them with their inner posters intact. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a stack. I even had one with the infamous BloodStorm Johnny Cage ad in it. I used to love Jen Seng’s art. She was a master. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2019 at 8:22 AM, Aaron2016 said:

Thinking back to my first Packard Bell with Windows 95.  (cost £1,500)  but it came with Spiderman Cartoon Maker so it was worth it.  :D  The PC platform certainly dominated the game shops with those big manuals and cardboard boxes.  I was annoyed when they switched to DVD size cases and pdf manuals.  It felt like I wasn't getting my money's worth.  Wish the classic titles would make a return for current generations to enjoy with modern specs e.g.

Quake, Hexen, Exalibur, Blood, Unreal, Redneck Rampage, Descent, G-Police, Outlaws, MDK, Syndicate Wars, Little Big Adventure, Flashback, Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, Hugo's House of Horrors.......

We certainly were spoiled for choice.

Redneck Rampage man loved playing that game. Did you also play classic Doom? or Comix Zone?

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Like 1