Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to handle wildlife in your yard

Still Waters

Encounters with wildlife are becoming more common in towns and neighborhoods as urbanization increases, and people often do not know what to do in these situations. Many species of urban wildlife, such as butterflies, bees, beetles, lizards, bats and most birds, are benign or even beneficial, helping to control mosquitoes, pollinate flowers and trees, recycle nutrients, and provide many other hidden ecological services.

But there can be also some associated health concerns, as some species bring the risk of parasites or disease.

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-wildlife-yard.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

31sPgRh-syL._SX425_.jpg:lol:

Jeeze, what size are your 

butterflies, bees, beetles, lizards, bats

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I would be more inclined to use that on the humans who have destroyed the wildlifes habitat.;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Let's see. Deer, rabbits, raccoons, a skunk, ton of squirrels, seen a few snakes and field mice. Rabbits, more rabbits, holy hell the rabbits. And someone's horses... Yeah, I've had a bit of wildlife in my yard. Oh, I forgot the day the devil visited me as my neighbors black goat. 

• Like 3

When I lived in the mountains, dirt roads, everyone with 5 or more acres I met a man who moved his family up there 20 years before and he had dogs that he fed in the garage with a big feeder that he just filled with a 50 pound bag of food every few weeks.  The garage door was always open and the dogs came and went as the pleased.  The light in the garage went out and he had no time to fix it for a couple of weeks.  One night his teenage son came in through the garage and said "Dad, there is something wrong with one of the dogs.  He is lying on his stomache eating and when I tripped over him he didn't even move."  They got a flash light and went out to check on the dog.  It was a bear, probably a two year old just gobbling up the food.  :lol:  They left it alone and it went away but the next day the guy put a doggie door on his garage and kept the garage door closed.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That isn't quite what the article had in mind. :lol:

• Haha 4

I have Wood Pidgeons, Blackbirds, Starlings and House Sparrows. 

I deal with Wood Pidgeons with bird seed. Starlings and Blackbirds with crumbled fat cakes. 

Oh.. and the House Sparrows seem to like both of them :)

Your point ? :D 

• Like 5

I have seen deer, foxes, coyotes, skunks, and rabbits several times wandering around in parts of the city

jmccr8

• Like 1

We've had burrowing owls move in this year and theyre kinda freaking me out.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I have Wood Pidgeons, Blackbirds, Starlings and House Sparrows. 

I deal with Wood Pidgeons with bird seed. Starlings and Blackbirds with crumbled fat cakes. 

Oh.. and the House Sparrows seem to like both of them :)

Your point ? :D 

I hope that you are not feeding them on balcony, as i am :D 

• Like 1

I dont have a yard but a birdhouse (3rd floor), daily guest are: tomtits, sparrows, bullfinches, eurasian jays, spotted woodpeckers, blackbirds,  magpies, green-finches and others but my best friends: red squirrels.

• Like 3

We have pigeons nesting in the tree at the bottom of our garden. The pigeons around here are very fat at the moment. Mostly we have crows, starlings, sparrows, thrush, blackbirds, robins, and seagulls. We used to see hedgehogs but not since a long time, and we had a sparrowhawk once which was exciting to see. Last year my husband found a frog in the front garden when he was mowing, that was so unexpected he almost ran over it!

Another time after a big storm we spotted 3 young pheasants wandering around. That was unusual because we'd never seen them so near to the house before. We figured they must have lost their bearings.

1 hour ago, toast said:

but my best friends: red squirrels.

:wub: lucky you!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

We've had burrowing owls move in this year and theyre kinda freaking me out.

I don't even know what they are, @Farmer77. Why are they freaking you out ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toast said:

I dont have a yard but a birdhouse (3rd floor), daily guest are: tomtits, sparrows, bullfinches, eurasian jays, spotted woodpeckers, blackbirds,  magpies, green-finches and others but my best friends: red squirrels.

WOW... that's an amazing selection, @toast. I'm especially impressed with the magpies and the red squirrels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

WOW... that's an amazing selection, @toast. I'm especially impressed with the magpies and the red squirrels.

Its hard to count "my" squirrels because they all look the same but I have a picture (somewhere) with in total 4 of these guys at the same time. One sitting on the roof near to my window, 2 others sitting in the trees and one having lunch in the birdhouse. I remember last summer when I was standing in the corridor and one of the guys jumped into my kitchen. I didnt moved, so the guy walked down the corridor, passed me, went into the living room and did a sightseeing tour there. He sniffed the TV, the sofa, nearly everything. Then he walked to the kitchen again, took a nut from the windowsill and jumped outside.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Just leave wildlife the **** alone

Hi Imaginary

I do but it's interesting to see them in a city of 1.3 million people but we live close to the mountains, we have also had moose, cougars, and bears in town but I haven't personally seen them in town.

jmccr8

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toast said:

Its hard to count "my" squirrels because they all look the same but I have a picture (somewhere) with in total 4 of these guys at the same time. One sitting on the roof near to my window, 2 others sitting in the trees and one having lunch in the birdhouse. I remember last summer when I was standing in the corridor and one of the guys jumped into my kitchen. I didnt moved, so the guy walked down the corridor, passed me, went into the living room and did a sightseeing tour there. He sniffed the TV, the sofa, nearly everything. Then he walked to the kitchen again, took a nut from the windowsill and jumped outside.

awesome. Just... awesome :o

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Imaginary

I do but it's interesting to see them in a city of 1.3 million people but we live close to the mountains, we have also had moose, cougars, and bears in town but I haven't personally seen them in town.

jmccr8

Animals are very adaptable if left alone. Also, most are very important to the ecosystems. If they're not thriving, neither will we.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I don't even know what they are, @Farmer77. Why are they freaking you out ? 

These guys :

Burrowing_Owl_s52-12-055_l.jpg?itok=9F6r

Honestly im stoked theyve  moved in . It started with a pair and every day when id take my dogs outside id stand and talk to whichever one was standing guard. The larger of the pair actually walked within a couple of feet of me to grab a big beetle a week or two ago which was absolutely awesome!

The freakin me out part is that theyve brought their relatives. I walked outside two days ago to see at least 7 that I could count standing around eyeballing me and there were many more flying around. IDK maybe 15 , 16 of them all together?  It was a little like a scene from a horror movie :lol:

Honestly I need to contact my city to let them know theyve moved in because the wash behind my house is public

• Like 3