Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have we moved past this conversation yet?

OverSword

This sounds too familiar and contemporary

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6

This is from 1970.  I heard a lot of the same arguments and reasonings in the discussion from way back then that I hear now.  Recently I've watched a few episodes of Rowan & Martins Laugh In and have also noted that so many concerns on that show are still our concerns today.  We think we've come a long way but in the big picture I wonder if we really have?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

This sounds too familiar and contemporary

I think they put Lester Maddox on TV in 1970 to show how out-of-date he was even then! It's even fifty more years out of date now! There may always be a teensy fringe of haters of everything but let's not let that cause us to miss the big picture. The Lester Maddox types of today are tremendously outside of mainstream society and are of no true significance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

This is from 1970.  I heard a lot of the same arguments and reasonings in the discussion from way back then that I hear now.  Recently I've watched a few episodes of Rowan & Martins Laugh In and have also noted that so many concerns on that show are still our concerns today.  We think we've come a long way but in the big picture I wonder if we really have?

I thought the same thing while watching the recent production of the old "All in the Family".  It was perfectly relevant to today.  (And reminded me also how funny TV comedy could be when scripted well.  Now we have reality shows with no script beyond promptings from the director. )

I think whatever progress was made has been undone.

• Like 4

True evil doesn’t hide in the shadows, but in the dappled shade. Lend a bigot the air of authority and they conceal their bigotry behind silky words and offence at being called a bigot.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

I thought the same thing while watching the recent production of the old "All in the Family".  It was perfectly relevant to today.  (And reminded me also how funny TV comedy could be when scripted well.  Now we have reality shows with no script beyond promptings from the director. )

I think whatever progress was made has been undone.

I've actually watched quite a few episodes of the actual All In the Family recently and it hasn't lost a step.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I think they put Lester Maddox on TV in 1970 to show how out-of-date he was even then! It's even fifty more years out of date now! There may always be a teensy fringe of haters of everything but let's not let that cause us to miss the big picture. The Lester Maddox types of today are tremendously outside of mainstream society and are of no true significance.

Judging by some of the things people say in some of these forums I say you are wrong.  He wasn't out of date then and would barely seem out of place now.

• Thanks 1

One asks, just how did Lester Maddux get elected Governor of Georgia, anyway?  

When new federal civil rights laws went into effect, Maddux, a restauranter, and his two sons stood in front of their eatery armed with baseball bats to keep AfroAms from going into his restaurant.

Image result for lester maddox photos

His photo went viral and the people in Georgia urged him to run for Governor. Maddox ran and he won. 

Yes democrats, like Governor George Wallace (Alabama), he's one of yours.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

One asks, just how did Lester Maddux get elected Governor of Georgia, anyway?  

When new federal civil rights laws went into effect, Maddux, a restauranter, and his two sons stood in front of their eatery armed with baseball bats to keep AfroAms from going into his restaurant.

Image result for lester maddox photos

His photo went viral and the people in Georgia urged him to run for Governor. Maddox ran and he won. 

Yes democrats, like Governor George Wallace (Alabama), he's one of yours.

It's funny how you seem to think that the parties haven't changed ideals over time

• Like 3

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

There may always be a teensy fringe of haters

Not so friggin' "teensy", in my opinion.

Too many people hate, or fear, that which is different to themselves. Whether that difference is due to ideology, religion, skin colour, sexuality, or gender identity.

Basically, humans suck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People are just people. The trick is getting the best you can out of them. 

59 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Not so friggin' "teensy", in my opinion.

Too many people hate, or fear, that which is different to themselves. Whether that difference is due to ideology, religion, skin colour, sexuality, or gender identity.

Basically, humans suck.

And I find humans are basically good.

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

And I find humans are basically good.

Humans are basically indifferent. Good/evil are just cultural constructs that vary wildly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Humans are basically indifferent. Good/evil are just cultural constructs that vary wildly.

And I think goodness is in our core but the ego can sometimes make people act poorly.

18 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

It's funny how you seem to think that the parties haven't changed ideals over time

It's funny how you think it's funny.  Hey how'bout that Jew-hating Omar you dems now have to represent your ideals?  Denial is a funny thing, too

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

It's funny how you think it's funny.  Hey how'bout that Jew-hating Omar you dems now have to represent your ideals?  Denial is a funny thing, too

Hey, how about all those white supremacists you republicans have that represent your ideals? If you think either party is anywhere near what it was founded on or even what it was a generation ago, then denial isn't even a strong enough word for someone who ignores basic facts.

And for probably the hundredth time, I am not a democrat. I know that will fall on deaf ears, but whatever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Why is Omar a Jew-hater? Was she among the "nice" Jew-loving white supremacists in Charlotwille last year chanting "Jews will not replace us"?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, odas said:

Why is Omar a Jew-hater? Was she among the "nice" Jew-loving white supremacists in Charlotwille last year chanting "Jews will not replace us"?

Because republicans like to smear anyone who doesn't bend over backwards to blow israel an anti-semite. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Hey, how about the haters on this very forum?

The homophobic, transphobic people who spew untruths about others?

Why does politics have to enter this?

Ooops, Democrats must be different from your political position, so they must be bad/horrible/evil people, right? You are taking one individual who identifies as a certain political party, and applying their view to an entire segment of population.

So if I say that Trump is a misogynistic, homophobe, then it is acceptable to apply that label to all republicans, right? Does the current President exemplify all of your beliefs?

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Because republicans like to smear anyone who doesn't bend over backwards to blow israel an anti-semite. 

Sure that. But the dems are not much better. Money money money.

1 minute ago, odas said:

Sure that. But the dems are not much better. Money money money.

Correct

3 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

And the Democrats are really no better.

The US has become so polarized between Republican and Democrat, that friendships and relationships have ended because of it.

We have forgotten that we are all Americans because of fanatical devotion to party politics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Correct

See, the days of honor, truth and true friendship are over. The world of today is driven by greed and money. Friendships last only until the money lasts. Honor and truth are bought with money.

To that there is no difference of left and right. USA or Angola and all in between.

1 minute ago, odas said:

Friendships last only until the money lasts.

I disagree. I, and my friends may be outliers, but we are friends, not because of money, or what we can do for each other, but because we care for each other as people.

YMMV

• Like 1