Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Manwon Lender

How many members served in the Middle East

37 posts in this topic

Manwon Lender

Hey guys I want to give a shout out to the forum members who fought in the Middle East. Please list your unit, and operation that you supported.

US Army  24th Infantry Division Mech

November 1989 until June 1990

Operation Desert Sheild, Desert Storm and the liberation of Kuwait.

MOS: Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Operations Specalist.

Thanks in advance for posting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

and then

Thanks for your service.  I didn't serve but I had a couple of friends who were attached to a AA missile battery. They had a pretty poor opinion of their time in the sandbox.

DieChecker
Posted (edited)

I was 1st Armored Div, 2nd Brigade, 30th Engineer Battalion in 1993-95 in Baumholder Germany. They'd basically just come back from the Middle East a couple years before, and I rotated out just as everyone was packing up to go to peacekeeping in Bosnia. That's as close as I got to the Middle East though.

Thanks for your service! I think everyone should serve in some capacity to build national pride and pride of self.

My Brother in Law is in the Oregon National Guard and has been twice, and is going again soon. 41st Infantry Brigade, 2nd Battalion, Forward Support Company.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Phaeton80
31 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I was 1st Armored Div, 2nd Brigade, 30th Engineer Battalion in 1993-95 in Baumholder Germany. They'd basically just come back from the Middle East a couple years before, and I rotated out just as everyone was packing up to go to peacekeeping in Bosnia. That's as close as I got to the Middle East though.

Thanks for your service! I think everyone should serve in some capacity to build national pride and pride of self.

My Brother in Law is in the Oregon National Guard and has been twice, and is going again soon. 41st Infantry Brigade, 2nd Battalion, Forward Support Company.

I think no self respecting American should serve the criminals in your government in any capacity to 'rebuild national pride and pride of self'.

Dont get me wrong, I truely do appreciate the sacrifice made by all who served (who are victims of thesame criminal clique in Washington DC), but lets not fool ourselves in supposing anything good was intended or achieved during those campaigns, and lets not fool ourselves in thinking this has anything to do with pride.. either national or individual.

Minimalists
38 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

I think no self respecting American should serve the criminals in your government in any capacity to 'rebuild national pride and pride of self'.

Dont get me wrong, I truely do appreciate the sacrifice made by all who served (who are victims of thesame criminal clique in Washington DC), but lets not fool ourselves in supposing anything good was intended or achieved during those campaigns, and lets not fool ourselves in thinking this has anything to do with pride.. either national or individual.

Who's asking you?:angry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Phaeton80

No need to get emotional pal. Just calling them how they are.

I know the MO in the US is to gleefully thank all soldiers for their service, but what would really be honerable is to not serve a tyrannical, criminal government in the mass killing of foreign civilians, wholesale destruction of foreign nations in illegal wars of agression. This is nothing to be proud of, I think the Founding Fathers would readily agree.

DieChecker
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phaeton80 said:

Kuwait was rescued....

Was that not a worth while goal?

I'd agree the Iraq War II was a complete waste of time and money and people. We could have just tossed missiles and dropped bombs and punished Saddam enough to get what we wanted. A brief military adventure, as they sometimes are called, and few if any of our people would have to die.

Afghanistan is another waste in my opinion. Those people don't want what we're selling. They just want free mercenary muscle to enforce the will of those who manage to get "elected". We should have just bombed the Taliban, and Al Quida and withdrawn.

EDIT: AND..... I wasn't saying going to WAR was a matter of pride, but that SERVICE to our nation was. I hope you don't disagree with that.... :angry:

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

DieChecker
9 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

I know the MO in the US is to gleefully thank all soldiers for their service, but what would really be honerable is to not serve a tyrannical, criminal government in the mass killing of foreign civilians, wholesale destruction of foreign nations in illegal wars of agression. This is nothing to be proud of, I think the Founding Fathers would readily agree.

The Founding Fathers sent the Navy to wipe out the Barbary Pirates just 20 years after the founding of the nation. A war we won, and made the high seas of the Atlantic a lot safer for trade.

You probably don't have any issues with the US joining Europe in WW2 and rescuing the Netherlands from Germany, do you? No, it is easy to claim evil and despotism when you are safe behind dozens of other nations shielding you from any harm.

See my previous post on what I think of the Afghan War and the Iraq War 2. I'm not pro-war, but I am pro-military. Those are not the same thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Phaeton80
5 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Kuwait was rescued....

Was that not a worth while goal?

I'd agree the Iraq War II was a complete waste of time and money and people. We could have just tossed missiles and dropped bombs and punished Saddam enough to get what we wanted. A brief military adventure, as they sometimes are called, and few if any of our people would have to die.

Afghanistan is another waste in my opinion. Those people don't want what we're selling. They just want free mercenary muscle to enforce the will of those who manage to get "elected". We should have just bombed the Taliban, and Al Quida and withdrawn.

EDIT: AND..... I wasn't saying going to WAR was a matter of pride, but that SERVICE to our nation was. I hope you don't disagree with that.... :angry:

I apologize, but in all honesty.. thats not serving your nation though, thats serving the criminals that hijacked your nation, a clique of crony capitalist internationalists, a development warned about by your Founding Fathers.

A true service to your nation and all Americans would be to act against these unAmerican criminals with extreme prejudice, in any and every way possible.

And Kuwait (as well as Iran).. wouldnt have been attacked the way they were if it wasnt for US arms supplies to the Hussein regime, including but not limited to the sales of chemical weapons, subsequently employed against Iran.

Minimalists
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

You ain't seen emotional yet.

Edited by Minimalists

Phaeton80

Look man, I sympathise with your situation, Im actually on your side believe it or not. I just dont think these wars were righteous, or in the interests of the US taxpayer, at all.

Gromdor
Posted (edited)

US Air Force 20th EMS 1989-1991  and then 55th EMS 1991-1994.

Operation Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Liberation of Kuwait. 

AFSC: Aerospace ground equipment mechanic

Riyadh Air Base, Saudi Arabia

Edit to add:  Army captain asked us where our firearms were- we told him we were supposed to take it off the corpses of his men because if the Iraqi's made it this far, we already lost.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Herr Falukorv

I was in dubai and got served ny a bartender.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

spartan max2

I think @AgentOrange served. Idk if he was in the middel east though.

Come to think of it I haven't seen him around for a while.

Manwon Lender
14 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Trust me you were lucky, it was a freaking mess over there. In my opinion you didn't miss a thing. As an Engineer you would have most likely been work with EOD, and that would have been no fun at all.

Thanks for service Brother

• Thanks 1

Manwon Lender
13 hours ago, Phaeton80 said:

I joined the military as a job, and I certainly am a self respecting American. Service in the Middle East was just part of being in the military and I am Not Ashamed of it, because while I there I did nothing to be ashamed of. I was proud of how my soldiers performed their duties in the face of adversity. In addition when we Liberated Kuwait I did have both National and individual pride. So please to me you comments are a little offensive, but you have a right to your opinion and that is what I personally fought for the Freedom to  Choose.

Manwon Lender
13 hours ago, Minimalists said:

Who's asking you?:angry:

Thanks, this thread was not intended to debate only to give a shout out to those who served.

Black Red Devil

I served in the French Army as a Mechanic fixing gearboxes on tanks.  The reverse gear was regularly getting worn out on all units.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Manwon Lender
12 hours ago, Phaeton80 said:

I apologize, but in all honesty.. thats not serving your nation though, thats serving the criminals that hijacked your nation, a clique of crony capitalist internationalists, a development warned about by your Founding Fathers.

A true service to your nation and all Americans would be to act against these unAmerican criminals with extreme prejudice, in any and every way possible.

And Kuwait (as well as Iran).. wouldnt have been attacked the way they were if it wasnt for US arms supplies to the Hussein regime, including but not limited to the sales of chemical weapons, subsequently employed against Iran.

Please give a link or so other proof that the United States sold Chemical Weapons to Iraq. In addition to that and just for your information the weapons the Iraqs had where Russian not American, i was there and I know what I saw. That includes their Tanks, Antiaircraft guns, Rifes ( Ak-47), the Scud  Missles, Vehicals, Machine Guns, Armored Personnel Carriers, in fact I did not see a major US Weapon being used by the Iraqs. So to say Kuwait wouldn't have been attacked without US weapons is ludicrous. I think you need to do some research before you post inaccurate information like you have about, you should be embarrassed.

I will wait for your reply about comments on the Chemical Weapons.

• Like 1

Manwon Lender
12 hours ago, Gromdor said:

US Air Force 20th EMS 1989-1991  and then 55th EMS 1991-1994.

Operation Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Liberation of Kuwait. 

AFSC: Aerospace ground equipment mechanic

Riyadh Air Base, Saudi Arabia

Edit to add:  Army captain asked us where our firearms were- we told him we were supposed to take it off the corpses of his men because if the Iraqi's made it this far, we already lost.

Thanks very much for your service Brother.

Manwon Lender
15 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

I served in the French Army as a Mechanic fixing gearboxes on tanks.  The reverse gear was regularly getting worn out on all units.

Thanks for your service Brother.

Black Red Devil
34 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks for your service Brother.

I'm assuming you've never heard the joke about the French tanks during WWII?  Anyway, doesn't matter, carry on.

Manwon Lender
5 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

I'm assuming you've never heard the joke about the French tanks during WWII?  Anyway, doesn't matter, carry on.

Is that where you get four people under a cardboard box and say Tank Tank Tank.

Gromdor

There was a little old man that worked as a security guard at the gate of a little out of the way power plant here in Iowa.  Over the years I got to talking with him.  He said he was a Navy Seal and even invented AOL among other things.  I smiled and listened to his stories even though I knew they weren't true.  The stories he told pretty much gave that all away.  But I never called him out on it.

Why?  Because he was a sad, lonely old man and the stories were the only thing he had to get any of us to stop and talk to him.   

• Like 2

Manwon Lender
4 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

There was a little old man that worked as a security guard at the gate of a little out of the way power plant here in Iowa.  Over the years I got to talking with him.  He said he was a Navy Seal and even invented AOL among other things.  I smiled and listened to his stories even though I knew they weren't true.  The stories he told pretty much gave that all away.  But I never called him out on it.

Why?  Because he was a sad, lonely old man and the stories were the only thing he had to get any of us to stop and talk to him.