Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dream about my sister

thejuiceinthisworld

ok so i had a dream last night where my sister had a pet guinea pig named Charles that could talk. the guinea big was dark brown with a white stripe cross. My sister put it in our mothers room where her pet chihuahua was present. the dog was growling at the guinea pig while my mom was holding it back. then the guinea pig was cursing at me while it was in denial about being a rodent. Sorry this all sounded weird if anyone can interpret this that would be wonderful thanks.

What?

• Haha 3

lol i did say this was gonna sound weird :D

Meh, I think it's charming. I picture a younger Woody Allen in the role of Charles, the guiea pig who denies he's a rodent :).

Humor aside, the proposition actually is contested:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2052090

Woody Allen would come up with something like that paper.

As to the dream, I don't know about interpreting it, but a little more info would be appreciated.

What might help potential commenters is a little background about yourself, and whether you have any emotional response to all of this. Also, the dream report could use some more details (How did you find out his name is Charles? Why did your sister put Charles in with a dog? Why was the guinea pig cursing at you?) and how they relate to the waking world (Does your mother have a dog? Does your sister have any pets? ...).

OH - why do you say the dream is about your sister?

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, eight bits said:

As to the dream, I don't know about interpreting it,

:lol:

Yeah, this gets this years "weirdness award'! But if you can't handle it. Nobody can. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thejuiceinthisworld said:

ok so i had a dream last night where my sister had a pet guinea pig named Charles that could talk. the guinea big was dark brown with a white stripe cross. My sister put it in our mothers room where her pet chihuahua was present. the dog was growling at the guinea pig while my mom was holding it back. then the guinea pig was cursing at me while it was in denial about being a rodent. Sorry this all sounded weird if anyone can interpret this that would be wonderful thanks.

Do you have something you wish to tell your mother, but are too afraid to? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eight bits said:

Meh, I think it's charming. I picture a younger Woody Allen in the role of Charles, the guiea pig who denies he's a rodent :).

Humor aside, the proposition actually is contested:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2052090

Woody Allen would come up with something like that paper.

As to the dream, I don't know about interpreting it, but a little more info would be appreciated.

What might help potential commenters is a little background about yourself, and whether you have any emotional response to all of this. Also, the dream report could use some more details (How did you find out his name is Charles? Why did your sister put Charles in with a dog? Why was the guinea pig cursing at you?) and how they relate to the waking world (Does your mother have a dog? Does your sister have any pets? ...).

OH - why do you say the dream is about your sister?

the guinea pig told me his name was Charles. tbh i thought the dream was Hilarious, im not sure why my sister put the guinea pig in the same room with the dog. My mother does own a dog and it is the same one i mentioned in the op.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thejuiceinthisworld said:

I am taking your mum does have a dog? 

Have you srensed your sister does not like the dog or maybe the dog got on your sisters nerves at one time or another? 

tbh Ifeel ike ther is a  deeper meaning though. my sister irl does own any pets beside dogs and cats.  And i just read seeing a guinea pig in a dream means to be more attentive and responsible and to learn from your mistakes, but why was the guinea pig with my sister?does it mean that she needs to start being attentive and responsible or do i need to do the same? whats the connection between my sister and the guinea pig though? I've also read that seeing a chihuahua in a dream symbolizes someone in your life that is passive but eventually voices an opinion (this does fit the description of our mom though ironically she does own a chihuahua irl.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thejuiceinthisworld said:

tbh Ifeel ike ther is a  deeper meaning though

OK, then do some symbol amplification (searchable). Apparently, you've already started a version of that by "looking up" some of the dream elements. You have to exercise a little critical thinking here, however. Yes, there are some shared dream elements which, when different people dream them, they might each agree what the symbol means to them. Those are things like "my house, my mother, a hero, ..."

However, what are the odds that two people dreaming about guinea pig would agree on what that means? What are the odds that two people who dream about chihuahua would agree on what that means? I tell you right now, and I've never met you, that a dog (not some specific breed of dog, but any dog) "means" something radically different if she appears in my dream than if she appears in yours. The symbols whose meanings are widely shared are general features of universal and timeless human experience which evoke an emotional response.

Also, we're talking symbols here, not signs. Symbols have both a literal meaning (guinea pigs and chihuahuas are real beings with concrete properties) and also point toward other meanings, figurative meanings, usually several figurative meanings depending on context, and sometimes more than one simultaneosly.

In contrast, signs do not necessarily have any inherent meaning, but only some conventional meaning (collectively agreed upon, consciously apprehended), and regardless, have one meaning apiece. (Why is a stop sign octagonal? For the same reason it's red - so it will immediately be distinguished from other traffic signs, and the color is consistent with the one used for "stop" in traffic lights, which are another example of a sign). In real life anyway, a sign has a single, transparent meaning. Symbols have many meanings (and always at least two, the concrete one, the furry little animal, and one or more figurative meanings in the context of the dream).

You can "look up" what a sign means, because it only has one meaning. Not so with symbols, since there is no unique meaning to look up.

Of course, a stop sign in a dream (a different context from the real-life traffic intersection) would be a different kettle of fish. And good luck "looking up" stop sign in a "dream dictionary." At best, a dream dictionary will offer a place to start symbol amplification.

Back to your dream. I took a shine to Charles, and he popped up in my evening meditation. So, I did some symbol amplification that way, and I had a great time with it. If it were my dream, then I'd be delighted with it (* - see asterisk item below). The problem is it wasn't my dream and nobody here (and surely not me) knows enough about you to even make a good guess about whether this was a big dream (searchable, the kind of dream where two people might agree on a dominant meaning) or something personal and specific to you.

It is a good sign for "bigness" that you had some emotional reaction, but hilarity is rare (even if I did reach for Woody Allen :) ). Anyway, basic info like your gender, decade of life, anything interesting going on in your life these days, ... would help ground the report.

Meanwhile, do some symbol amplification. I'll keep mine to myself, 'cause I don't know that this is that kind of dream for you, and I don't want to put words in your mouth (and thoughts in your head). Finally, you still haven't addressed why you described this dream as being about your sister, when Charles is the dream character who's having the great adventure. Your sister seems like a "functional character" in the story as you tell it, so why is she the star of the show in the thread title?

* Even if I wouldn't see a chihuahua the way that Charles understandably does :)

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Dream about my sister
On 6/15/2019 at 3:45 PM, thejuiceinthisworld said:

Maybe you have something you feel guilty about concerning someone else's pet. 

Is there something your mother feels she wants to say to you sister but is 'holding it back' like she was holding the dog. And if there is, could your sister somehow point the finger at you, as if you were to blame in some way.  Or perhaps there is a situation with them that you are not taking as seriously as you should... 

Just my guess :)