Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
butterflyecho

Workplace Return Help?

Recommended Posts

butterflyecho
Posted (edited)

Hello my name is Crystal 10/20/84. I was terminated from job last year July 2018. I was actually one of the best workers there. I was taught so much by my manager. Any opportunity to learn all I can, I took. It lead me into a bit of higher role, responsibilities than my coworkers but a personal emergency lead to my termination. I am eligible to return at the end of July 2019, but I am not too sure what I am walking into. My favorite manager is no longer working there (his last day was on the day I had emergency). It was all complicated situation, so I am wondering if it is good idea to return to my former workplace? I am planning to returning to my old shift. Mainly I am wondering if I will be welcomed back or I will my return lead to issues, problems/troubles due to returning? I am not sure if gossip or if there is a person group hard against me if I return. I don't mind starting all over. I just want to know if this is a bad idea. Thank you.

Edited by butterflyecho
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Not A Rockstar

I sent you a private message. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John from Lowell

Hello Crystal,

This would be a good opportunity for you to start over. That is the strongest energy I am getting.

It is best to not worry about any thing. When asked about the past just say you have forgotten about all of that.

John

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
14 hours ago, butterflyecho said:

Hello my name is Crystal 10/20/84. I was terminated from job last year July 2018. I was actually one of the best workers there. I was taught so much by my manager. Any opportunity to learn all I can, I took. It lead me into a bit of higher role, responsibilities than my coworkers but a personal emergency lead to my termination. I am eligible to return at the end of July 2019, but I am not too sure what I am walking into. My favorite manager is no longer working there (his last day was on the day I had emergency). It was all complicated situation, so I am wondering if it is good idea to return to my former workplace? I am planning to returning to my old shift. Mainly I am wondering if I will be welcomed back or I will my return lead to issues, problems/troubles due to returning? I am not sure if gossip or if there is a person group hard against me if I return. I don't mind starting all over. I just want to know if this is a bad idea. Thank you.

Did you go absent without permission?

If it was what other people would see as a valid emergency (family member being taken to hospital, or family emergency) you shouldn't have been disciplined for it. If you left the site due to anxiety or stress or panic then you should have explained that to HR and got yourself signed off by your doctor. Again, its not common practice to discipline for mental health issues.

Either way, leaving the worksite is not normally grounds for termination unless you are on a trial period or you have already received a final warning for something else. This is because unauthorised absence is not a form of gross misconduct. If you had no prior warnings and got let go for going offsite you should have taken them to an employment tribunal.

If you have had your rights violated then why would that change when you return? Its shows either a lack of management training or professionalism.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
butterflyecho
58 minutes ago, John from Lowell said:

Hello Crystal,

This would be a good opportunity for you to start over. That is the strongest energy I am getting.

It is best to not worry about any thing. When asked about the past just say you have forgotten about all of that.

John

 

Thank you! I was hoping to just start brand new, no issues. Now I am starting to feel okay about returning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
butterflyecho
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Did you go absent without permission?

If it was what other people would see as a valid emergency (family member being taken to hospital, or family emergency) you shouldn't have been disciplined for it. If you left the site due to anxiety or stress or panic then you should have explained that to HR and got yourself signed off by your doctor. Again, its not common practice to discipline for mental health issues.

Either way, leaving the worksite is not normally grounds for termination unless you are on a trial period or you have already received a final warning for something else. This is because unauthorised absence is not a form of gross misconduct. If you had no prior warnings and got let go for going offsite you should have taken them to an employment tribunal.

If you have had your rights violated then why would that change when you return? Its shows either a lack of management training or professionalism.

Yes, I used up all my sick time for that quarter. But while at work, I had medical emergency but no time off left. I let my manager know I could not stay. I did not go to the emergency, but I could have obtain proof of my condition if given the time to do so. It just became all really complicated, and I was exhausted, overwhelmed at the time. Hr could have worked with me, and I would have provided her with proof of the condition which caused the issue. I returned to work, filled out a Hr form, told to wait/continue to return to work while HR makes a decision, and the next day I was terminated. My managers tried pleading with HR on my behalf, but.. I could have fought the decision. It all turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I needed the break, and in more ways than one, the termination probably saved my life.

Edited by butterflyecho
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, butterflyecho said:

Yes, I used up all my sick time for that quarter. But while at work, I had medical emergency but no time off left. I let my manager know I could not stay. I did not go to the emergency, but I could have obtain proof of my condition if given the time to do so. It just became all really complicated, and I was exhausted, overwhelmed at the time. Hr could have worked with me, and I would have provided her with proof of the condition which caused the issue. I returned to work, filled out a Hr form, told to wait/continue to return to work while HR makes a decision, and the next day I was terminated. My managers tried pleading with HR on my behalf, but.. I could have fought the decision. It all turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I needed the break, and in more ways than one, the termination probably saved my life.

With an employee that has a bad track record of sick live I would be inclined not to believe them about a medical emergency. Had you already been disciplined for sick leave?

Regardless of whether they believed your or not there are legal procedures to follow when discipling staff and terminating there employment. Were you invited to a meeting and given the opportunity to take someone with you such as a union representative? Did they give you the opportunity to prove it was an emergency? If not they broke the law and you should have gone to a tribunal.

Why did you have a bad track record of sick leave? When an employee is frequently going on sick is rarely is due to sickness. In 95% of cases its either stress and anxiety or bullying. Did you have some bad work colleagues or a bad manager? If the people around you are doing your head in to the point you get the urge to go off on sick then instead of doing this you should go and have a chat with HR. Never keep problems with the people you work with secret, always expose them.

Firstly to your manager. If the manager wont listen or is part of the problem then escalate it to their manager or HR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
butterflyecho
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

With an employee that has a bad track record of sick live I would be inclined not to believe them about a medical emergency. Had you already been disciplined for sick leave?

Regardless of whether they believed your or not there are legal procedures to follow when discipling staff and terminating there employment. Were you invited to a meeting and given the opportunity to take someone with you such as a union representative? Did they give you the opportunity to prove it was an emergency? If not they broke the law and you should have gone to a tribunal.

Why did you have a bad track record of sick leave? When an employee is frequently going on sick is rarely is due to sickness. In 95% of cases its either stress and anxiety or bullying. Did you have some bad work colleagues or a bad manager? If the people around you are doing your head in to the point you get the urge to go off on sick then instead of doing this you should go and have a chat with HR. Never keep problems with the people you work with secret, always expose them.

Firstly to your manager. If the manager wont listen or is part of the problem then escalate it to their manager or HR.

They do not care at all how the hours are used, so I wouldn't say there's a such thing as bad track record there. My managers would joke, where have you been? But as long as I have hours, they do not seriously care how I miss. I did not miss for fun. At the time, I suffered from severe anxiety, so I would take days off to gain some sort of balance...I do not blame HR, she could have worked with me better than what she did. Funny though, I helped HR, a couple of times, with a task that not much people would want to do. Again, I do not hold the decision against her.

Edited by butterflyecho
...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
51 minutes ago, butterflyecho said:

They do not care at all how the hours are used, so I wouldn't say there's a such thing as bad track record there. My managers would joke, where have you been? But as long as I have hours, they do not seriously care how I miss. I did not miss for fun. At the time, I suffered from severe anxiety, so I would take days off to gain some sort of balance...I do not blame HR, she could have worked with me better than what she did. Funny though, I helped HR, a couple of times, with a task that not much people would want to do. Again, I do not hold the decision against her.

If you have severe anxiety you not only need HR to be fully aware of it you need to get yourself treated and let them know you are being treated. Anxiety is common, it wont hold you back in your job.

If you go for treatment what they teach you is that good hydration (water drastically cuts the severity of anxiety), and healthy diet (sugar and carbs with protein reduce anxiety), and a healthy sleep routine (it maintains a healthy hormone balance in the brain), are essential.

On top of that try an experiment - see if you can hold your breath for 1-2 minutes. Notice the panic response? That is the exact same anxiety response you are experiencing. You experience it because when you encounter an actual or perceived threat to your interests or wellbeing you restrict your breathing. When anxious it is essential to force yourself to breath normally. Anxiety takes about a minute or two to kick in and the same amount of time to wear off. So keep breathing normally and wait.

If all else fails get yourself some lollipops to suck on at your desk whenever feeling stressed. That ends it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
butterflyecho
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

If you have severe anxiety you not only need HR to be fully aware of it you need to get yourself treated and let them know you are being treated. Anxiety is common, it wont hold you back in your job.

If you go for treatment what they teach you is that good hydration (water drastically cuts the severity of anxiety), and healthy diet (sugar and carbs with protein reduce anxiety), and a healthy sleep routine (it maintains a healthy hormone balance in the brain), are essential.

On top of that try an experiment - see if you can hold your breath for 1-2 minutes. Notice the panic response? That is the exact same anxiety response you are experiencing. You experience it because when you encounter an actual or perceived threat to your interests or wellbeing you restrict your breathing. When anxious it is essential to force yourself to breath normally. Anxiety takes about a minute or two to kick in and the same amount of time to wear off. So keep breathing normally and wait.

If all else fails get yourself some lollipops to suck on at your desk whenever feeling stressed. That ends it too.

 And thank you! I didn't think of getting everything official, documented, and making HR aware of it. I should of did that. I am taking your advice, and I am going to do things differently next time.I tell myself all the time, you need professional help. Way back in high school, I did have a teacher refer me to school psychologist (but I didn't take the referral, teacher, or the psychologist serious). I wish I did. The teacher was the only adult who cared enough to refer me to help, and the psychologist tried her best, but I thought of it as a joke. I've been in need of help for so long. I believe the company provides free access to mental health services, so I will check those out when I return. I have suffered from terrible anxiety, and possibly post traumatic stress disorder due to growing up with violence around me (in my household and in my neighborhood) and other situations/issues which still weigh on me. But of course, I need official diagnosis. I experience a lot of cruelty in my life. I pray a lot, and prayer eases anxiety for me. Music also helps, so I make sure to listen to music on my breaks (even though breaks are extremely short). I had good manager, and I could have easily explained that to him, but I didn't want to seem weak. I did not want to be treated differently. He was so kind, he would have probably tried to make my work load extra easy - which I do not need or want a special light load. I do not mind the work, it's people, and being around too many which triggers me a bit. I do my best to work through it, but I am realizing how important it is to seek professional help.

Edited by butterflyecho
...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
6 minutes ago, butterflyecho said:

 And thank you! I didn't think of getting everything official, documented, and making HR aware of it. I should of did that. I am taking your advice, and I am going to do things differently next time.I tell myself all the time, you need professional help. Way back in high school, I did have a teacher refer me to psychologist (but I didn't take it serious). I wish I did. She was the only adult who cared enough to refer me to help, but again, I thought of it as a joke. I've been in need of help for so long. I believe the company provides free access to mental health services, so I will check those out when I return. I have suffered from terrible anxiety, and possibly form post traumatic stress disorder due to growing up with violence around me (in my household and in my neighborhood) and other situations/issues which still weigh on me. I experience a lot of cruelty in my life. I pray a lot, and prayer eases anxiety for me. Music also helps, so I make sure to listen to music on my breaks (even though breaks are extremely short). I had good manager, and I could have easily explained that to him, but I didn't want to seem weak. I did not want to be treated differently. He was so kind, he would have probably tried to make my work load extra easy - which I do not need or want a special light load. I do not mind the work, it's people, and being around too many which triggers me a bit. I do my best to work through it, but I am realizing how important it is to seek help.

Post traumatic stress disorder is treatable but you have to get over the embarrassment of going to see your doctor.

Religion is not good for anxiety or PTSD (depending on what the causes are) because they tell people they are evil or sinners or going to hell. Well, the Bible doesnt actually say any of that, but the Church does and as a result can make mental health problems a lot worse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
On 6/15/2019 at 3:55 PM, butterflyecho said:

. I don't mind starting all over. I just want to know if this is a bad idea. Thank you.

Greetings.   I have seen a lot of people come and go over my working lifetime.  If you are eligible to come back, then the company is not holding a grudge right?  If you have friends they will probably be glad to have you back.  Depending on the job, there might be a lot of new people who don;t even know you. If it was a place you liked and felt good, and you were learning, it might be worth a shot. Are you going to quit a job to go back?  Is that something you would regret?  Unless you did something that really screwed over your former co-workers  going back could be a resumption of something you liked .  If it is hard to bear, you can line up another job and leave. Best of luck.  Be awesome whatever you choose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
butterflyecho
3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Greetings.   I have seen a lot of people come and go over my working lifetime.  If you are eligible to come back, then the company is not holding a grudge right?  If you have friends they will probably be glad to have you back.  Depending on the job, there might be a lot of new people who don;t even know you. If it was a place you liked and felt good, and you were learning, it might be worth a shot. Are you going to quit a job to go back?  Is that something you would regret?  Unless you did something that really screwed over your former co-workers  going back could be a resumption of something you liked .  If it is hard to bear, you can line up another job and leave. Best of luck.  Be awesome whatever you choose.

That is so true, you are right. I was just thinking a few minutes ago - there's probably a lot of new people there now. I was well liked, but I over worry too much. Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.