Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Manwon Lender

The Ghost Of the Brown Lady

53 posts in this topic

Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, this is my favorite photo of a Ghost I remember seeing this photo when I was young child. I understand that is it most likely a fake, I don't know for sure. However, in my opinion this is how a photo of a ghost should look. 

Thanks For Looking.

image.png.45ec86088c4cea20b2c57f826977e563.png

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

Not A Rockstar

This is one of 2 favorites for me, too. Sadly, the other I saw long ago and lost my copy in a HD crash and have never found it again. They should all look like this :) 

• Like 2

Manwon Lender

I totally agree, whoever faked this if it is faked did a great job. The photo was taken in 1936 and the negative still survives. Fake or not I love this photo, it's one of the best I have even seen.

• Like 1

papageorge1
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

I understand that is it most likely a fake, 

Why is that?

• Like 1

Farmer77
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hello everyone, this is my favorite photo of a Ghost I remember seeing this photo when I was young child. I understand that is it most likely a fake, I don't know for sure. However, in my opinion this is how a photo of a ghost should look. 

Thanks For Looking.

image.png.45ec86088c4cea20b2c57f826977e563.png

You know its such a good photo that on one had I kinda want to scream fake

On the other though I personally had a sighting that was very similar so who the hell am I to say anything is fake.

• Like 4

Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Why is that?

Hey I would love this photo to be real. However there is a great deal of controversy that surrounds this photo. I don't have the ability to prove the photo's authenticity, if I did I would try. So with that said I don't base my personnel opinions on my personnel feeling without proof. But none of this matters, I love the photo, and I will always hope that it is real.

i have read the research into this photo and to date it could go either way so like I said in my first post.  I said I just don't know for certain.and that is where I have to leave it.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

papageorge1
2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hey I would love this photo to be real. However there is a great deal of controversy that surrounds this photo. I don't have the ability to prove the photo's authenticity, if I did I would try. So with that said I don't base my personnel opinions on my personnel feeling without proof. But none of this matters, I love the photo, and I will always hope that it is real.

I understand, but there is no such thing as a ghost photo without controversy. 

• Like 1

Manwon Lender
2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I understand, but there is no such thing as a ghost photo without controversy. 

What do you think of this photo, Is it fake, real, or you just don't know?

openozy

I personally don't believe you can photograph ghosts,they can only be seen by people open to the paranormal.A person that is open may see one but the skeptic standing along side them wont.

• Haha 1

papageorge1
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

What do you think of this photo, Is it fake, real, or you just don't know?

Here is more information on the Brown Lady Ghost

My best guess at this point would be 85% chance the ghost is real.  55% Chance the photo is real

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

papageorge1
3 minutes ago, openozy said:

I personally don't believe you can photograph ghosts,they can only be seen by people open to the paranormal.A person that is open may see one but the skeptic standing along side them wont.

I think if the ghost starts to materialize or semi-materialize a mist can be physically seen and captured by a camera.

• Like 1

openozy
Just now, papageorge1 said:

I think if the ghost starts to materialize or semi-materialize a mist can be physically seen and captured by a camera.

Maybe,but I've never seen a photo I've been too enthused about.

papageorge1
1 minute ago, openozy said:

Maybe,but I've never seen a photo I've been too enthused about.

What would it take ozy to get you enthused?

openozy
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

What would it take ozy to get you enthused?

Seeing ghosts personally has always fascinated me,it used to scare me but now its just,oh yeah I just saw a spirit go past.

• Haha 1

papageorge1
Just now, openozy said:

Seeing ghosts personally has always fascinated me,it used to scare me but now its just,oh yeah I just saw a spirit go past.

Geez, ozy, I've never seen one so you're kind of lucky in a way to have first-hand experiences.  I do think some people are more paranormally open and active than others. 

• Like 1

openozy
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Geez, ozy, I've never seen one so you're kind of lucky in a way to have first-hand experiences.  I do think some people are more paranormally open and active than others. 

I've been seeing entities,spirits since about 4years old,the most in my 20's and have come back recently in my 50's.A week wont go past without some paranormal occurrence.No point posting these things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Manwon Lender
16 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I can see how that is possible, and that is exactly what the people who were present when this photo was taken said that happened. They said it started out as mist and formed into what is seen in the photo.

• Like 1

the13bats

no, im not sure its "fake" or started as a hoax,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-spectre-of-the-brown-lady-will-haunt-us-no-more-419176.html

one of a few explanations.

i always liked the one in this thread like i do my fav the Newby Church ghost,

in the brown lady the photographers story doesnt wash with me two guys say they saw the spectre coming down the stairs and jumped and grabbed the picture, but back then cameras were not point and shoot they had plates, cloths things to do to set up to get good sharp images they had to be on a stand and were not a fast exposure rather minutes,

one thing very clear from my research on old alleged ghost pictures the photographers are not reliable,

with this one and the newby one i believe two things happen one is really cool camera anomalies and artifacts and then a fair amount of Pareidolia,

no, i do not believe ghosts can be captured on film or that they are even seen as i dont believe they exist because the proof is limited to what the observer belives in their mind and a mind is very unreliable.

i also understand why some want to sound cool and say they see things, its all about being human.

• Like 1

openozy
7 minutes ago, the13bats said:

n the brown lady the photographers story doesnt wash with me two guys say they saw the spectre coming down the stairs and jumped and grabbed the picture, but back then cameras were not point and shoot they had plates, cloths things to do to set up to get good sharp images they had to be on a stand and were not a fast exposure rather minutes,

A good point bats,every time I've seen them it happens too quickly to take photo's.

12 minutes ago, the13bats said:

i do not believe ghosts can be captured on film or that they are even seen

Each to their own

13 minutes ago, the13bats said:

i also understand why some want to sound cool and say they see things, its all about being human.

I dont need to impress anyone,I am cool.B)

• Like 1

Manwon Lender
24 minutes ago, the13bats said:

no, im not sure its "fake" or started as a hoax,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-spectre-of-the-brown-lady-will-haunt-us-no-more-419176.html

one of a few explanations.

i always liked the one in this thread like i do my fav the Newby Church ghost,

in the brown lady the photographers story doesnt wash with me two guys say they saw the spectre coming down the stairs and jumped and grabbed the picture, but back then cameras were not point and shoot they had plates, cloths things to do to set up to get good sharp images they had to be on a stand and were not a fast exposure rather minutes,

one thing very clear from my research on old alleged ghost pictures the photographers are not reliable,

with this one and the newby one i believe two things happen one is really cool camera anomalies and artifacts and then a fair amount of Pareidolia,

no, i do not believe ghosts can be captured on film or that they are even seen as i dont believe they exist because the proof is limited to what the observer belives in their mind and a mind is very unreliable.

Hey partner thanks for the link. However, Wikipedia has a much better in depth information concerning the story of the Brown lady and the circumstances of how the photo was taken. According to them the camera was already setup, because they had been taking photos of the stairway.

thanks

• Like 1

Farmer77
24 minutes ago, the13bats said:

You're casting kind of a wide net there.

I dont feel like I sound cool when I say ive had sightings in fact its quite the opposite. I'd much rather be able to stand firmly with science in everything and I am aware of what it looks like when someone starts spouting what I view as impossible nonsense.

Yet ive seen some **** man.

• Like 2

the13bats
6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You're casting kind of a wide net there.

I dont feel like I sound cool when I say ive had sightings in fact its quite the opposite. I'd much rather be able to stand firmly with science in everything and I am aware of what it looks like when someone starts spouting what I view as impossible nonsense.

Yet ive seen some **** man.

i said "some" im talking of the ones who spew over and over about special abilities and powers that are delusions or made up to get attention that can according to them only be paranormal supernatural in explanation, with of course zero proof the ones who get very hostile when anyone doubts them or gives other possible explanations like it starts and ends only in their mind.

if you have seen stuff do you keep your foundation in science and try to study it learn the real cause or do you just fall back and say i dont know why i saw what i did or what it was so it must be paranormal supernatural and if you dont agree you are narrow close minded.

i had a buddy, he sadly passed years ago but he enjoyed hallucinogenic drugs, i wasnt about to try it with my nerves and panic issues but i questioned him a lot, he knew what was in his mind, it was some wild stuff but i can see and respect how some especially when they arent on drugs or ?  could experence something only in their mind yet insist its real, perhaps convince others close to them if people could get past the stigma that its a mental condition some real exciting research could be done.

• Like 1

the13bats

i never go only by wiki, :hmm:

they said she comes walking down and they were ready from taking other shots of the stairs, cool, where are the shots of the stairs without her?

Farmer77
2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

if you have seen stuff do you keep your foundation in science and try to study it learn the real cause or do you just fall back and say i dont know why i saw what i did or what it was so it must be paranormal supernatural and if you dont agree you are narrow close minded.

No im always looking for the logical explanations and there are only a few experiences in my life where I would pound the desk and insist I saw for sure what I saw and even then I wouldnt be mad at folks who dont believe me.

• Like 1

Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, the13bats said:

i never go only by wiki, :hmm:

they said she comes walking down and they were ready from taking other shots of the stairs, cool, where are the shots of the stairs without her?

I have no idea, however the magazine they were.sent to take pictures for also claims to still have the original negatives from the shoot, including the negative of this photo.

Here is a link to Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Lady_of_Raynham_Hall

Edited by Manwon Lender