Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Basset Hound Info

Farmer77

My 16 year old Boston Terrier will be put to sleep on Thursday. I hadnt planned on getting a replacement but my family thought I needed one and the universe is awesome so we were gifted a 10week old   Basset Hound this week.   

I've only ever owned bully and bull and terrier breeds so I thought I'd ask our members for any tips on training or just life with scent hounds in general and Basset Hounds in particular.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

My 16 year old Boston Terrier will be put to sleep on Thursday. I hadnt planned on getting a replacement but my family thought I needed one and the universe is awesome so we were gifted a 10week old   Basset Hound this week.   

I've only ever owned bully and bull and terrier breeds so I thought I'd ask our members for any tips on training or just life with scent hounds in general and Basset Hounds in particular.

Thanks in advance!

Condolences on losing your friend, sincerely, man.  I never owned a Bassett but my Beagle was the best dog I ever had a chance to love.  She was LOUD and not very bright but 14 years just wasn't enough :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Condolences on losing your friend, sincerely, man.  I never owned a Bassett but my Beagle was the best dog I ever had a chance to love.  She was LOUD and not very bright but 14 years just wasn't enough :( 

Thank you for the kind thoughts amigo, they are definitely appreciated.

gee I'm sorry to hear that Farmer. :(  I don't have very much knowledge about Bassets but I do know that they tend to look rather down in the mouth most of the time, but I wouldn't take this personally. 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Thanks 1

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, @Farmer77. But I'm sure that your Basset puppy will bring joy to your life. 

I don't know anything about Bassets. Or dogs in general. 

Let me know if you acquire a pet chilli plant... I know LOTS about chilli plants. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So sorry you lost your Boston, any pet loss is so hard. As for the Basset they are energetic through puppy stage and then happy to lounge on the couch. My best friend adopted a half Basset half lab mix and definitely got Basset personality and energy level. They are great dogs, great companionship and couch snuggle buddies. They do scent so once a season Geb would take off to smell stuff, once came back covered in strawberry yogurt, so there is that. Lol. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

They are great dogs, great companionship and couch snuggle buddies.

That last part is kind of what we're hoping for.

I do want to do some scent training with him but didnt want the challenge of the bull and bull and terrier breeds im used to.

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Thanks in advance!

I grew up with a Basset Hound, they make great pets. First of all you must remember they were originally bread in England as hunting dogs. This is why they have short legs, big ears and a fantastic sense of smell. I use to play hide and seek with Champ, and he always won, there was no way to hide from him. They are very good tempered, but they are prone to fatty tumors. So I would check him for them on regular bases while petting him, if you feel any lumps take him to the vet immediately. My dog Champ had a large one on his back, we didn't know how serious this could be. I think he was 15 years old in dog years, when the tumor popped, when it happened he lost control of his hind legs and had to be put to sleep. I really loved that dog and still think of him today.

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

M

sorry on your loss,

my wife had two bassets when i met her they were nice tempered but had a tendency to bark, they did like to cuddle up, i found them a bit more gamey smelling than some breeds my wife didnt and one had bad sagging lower lids that needed daily drops,  seems they were very smart but stubborn about some stuff, and even with short legs loved to swim, i always think of the ones in smokey and the bandit and dukes of hazard.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, the13bats said:

i always think of the ones in smokey and the bandit and dukes of hazard.

We almost named him Flash after the Basset in dukes , but ended up naming him Roscoe after his owner instead :lol:

james_best_roscoe_coltrane.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1