Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BREAKING: New potentially habitable exoplanet

alfa015

Still a lot of observing needed to find out more about the planets or planet.

"stellar rotation would probably only mimic the orbit of one planet, not two planets, so at least one of the planets is probably real,” 

“If there really are planets around the star, and the authors got their orbital periods wrong, the planets are still planets.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/science/2019/06/two-potentially-life-friendly-planets-found-12-light-years-away-teegardens-star

But on this note, much closer to home is the possibility of a life form on one of Saturns moons, Enceladus:

This discovery means the small, icy moon Enceladus might have a source of chemical energy that could be useful for living microbes,

https://earthsky.org/space/saturn-enceladus-cassini-habitable-hydrogen

All fascinating.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It takes 20,000 years to travel 1 (one) light year! So this is a 240,000 year venture.

Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It takes 20,000 years to travel 1 (one) light year! So this is a 240,000 year venture.

Good luck.

Given it isn't stripped of it's atmosphere by a flare and tidally locked because it once had some sort of ocean. 

HZs around red dwarfs aren't. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Good luck.

So the Chinese will take the lead on this?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If that place is really called Teegarden/Teegarden's Star...then I wanna move there.
Doesn't matter how inhabitable it is, I wanna move there and open a tea restaurant which I will call "The Tea Garden at Teegarden's"

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

If that place is really called Teegarden/Teegarden's Star...then I wanna move there.
Doesn't matter how inhabitable it is, I wanna move there and open a tea restaurant which I will call "The Tea Garden at Teegarden's"

How fantastic.

I would like to invest, can you tell me how long before i can get a return on my investment? 

Lets start with a tenna investment, to be on the safe side.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Actually, make it a fiver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

How fantastic.

I would like to invest, can you tell me how long before i can get a return on my investment? 

Lets start with a tenna investment, to be on the safe side.

I'm not too sure yet. But c'amaaaaaaaaaaan with a name like that, you know it's gonna be a success!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

It would be even better if your name was Tony Garden. Then you could call it 'T. Gardens' Tea Garden at Teegarden's'.

• Like 2

Just now, Stiff said:

It would be even better if your name was Tony Garden. Then you could call it 'T. Gardens' Tea Garden at Teegarden's'.

Good point, but well, since this is my future now, I can just change my name.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/north-coast/forster-and-taree-area/tea-gardens

• Like 1

Crazy part is if/when we get to these planets they may not even be habitable. 12.5 light years is a few hundred of our years, maybe more. Awesome discovery but nobody in ours, kids, grandkids etc will ever get to experience. Even if everything worked out with the trip it's still a risk

• Like 1

On 19/6/2019 at 12:23 AM, freetoroam said:

Still a lot of observing needed to find out more about the planets or planet.

But on this note, much closer to home is the possibility of a life form on one of Saturns moons, Enceladus:

All fascinating.

Thanks for the links!

6 hours ago, AllPossible said:

Awesome discovery but nobody in ours, kids, grandkids etc will ever get to experience. 

We don't know that for certain. Someone in 1919 never would believe that in just 50 years we would land on the moon. Or much less a hundred years later cellphones, internet, self driving cars, etc. We don't know where technology will be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

We don't know that for certain. Someone in 1919 never would believe that in just 50 years we would land on the moon. Or much less a hundred years later cellphones, internet, self driving cars, etc. We don't know where technology will be.

I completely agree unfortunately those discoveries are in the planet & work well on our planet. Travelling Trillions of miles in a hostile environment for generations just to reach a planet is very far away from what we have available. Don't get me wrong I love astronomy & the idea of us exploring space but we have just stumbled upon it. It will take 100s+ years for it to be a serious thing. Sending a rover to another planet in our solar system awesome. Sending humans out of our solar system is a whole new mindset

Edited by AllPossible

So its only 18+ trillion miles, see you all there in four hundred and eleven thousand years

• 2 weeks later...