Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gun 'that ended Van Gogh's life' auctioned

Still Waters

The revolver with which Vincent van Gogh is believed to have shot himself sold for 162,500 euros ($182,000) at a Paris auction on Wednesday—nearly three times the estimate.

Billed as "the most famous weapon in the history of art", the rusty 7mm Lefaucheux revolver was bought by a private collector with a telephone bid.

The troubled Dutch painter died in July 1890 and experts believe he shot himself with the revolver in a field near Auvers-sur-Oise, a village north of Paris where he spent the last few months of his life.

Discovered by a farmer in 1965 in the same field, the gun has previously been exhibited at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-gun-van-gogh-life-triple.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

If I bought that I'd melt it down and throw it in the ocean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

If I bought that I'd melt it down and throw it in the ocean.

When my grandfather escaped from a concentration camp he took two Radom autos from the Nazis he killed which were made by prisoners who were then put to death.

One was used as evidence against me to put me in prison. The other my cousin killed himself with. Cursed weapons if there ever was ones. 

If I owned that piece I would take it out to sea and dump it in the Toms Canyon Crater. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

32 minutes ago, Piney said:

When my grandfather escaped from a concentration camp he took two Radom autos from the Nazis he killed which were made by prisoners who were then put to death.

One was used as evidence against me to put me in prison. The other my cousin killed himself with. Cursed weapons if there ever was ones. 

If I owned that piece I would take it out to sea and dump it in the Toms Canyon Crater. 

Cursed indeed.

• Like 1

I actually feel Historically ignorant for not remembering he killed himself with a gun... 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I actually feel Historically ignorant for not remembering he killed himself with a gun... 

I actually didn't know either. Then again I was neither impressed by him or his art.  Friggin chimp could paint like that mental case. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Piney said:

I actually didn't know either. Then again I was neither impressed by him or his art.  Friggin chimp could paint like that mental case. 

I agree but you know Philly,  has was a curator in museums all her working life with a degree in art history and then in photography... I should have known but in all fairness I lose interest in how did what, then David Bailey turns up and makes things less interesting... Thank god we have Banksy now?

• Thanks 1

That is a lot of money for a gun but since it's related to Van Gogh the price seems too low. Kinda disrespectful because some morbid installations are sold for tens of millions :D Crazy world.