Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stonehenge summer solstice

Still Waters

Thousands of people have greeted the sun with cheers as it rose over Stonehenge for summer solstice.

About 10,000 people gathered at the neolithic monument in Wiltshire on a chilly morning to greet the start of the longest day of the year.

Clear skies ensured they were able to observe the spectacle clearly as the sun glinted over the horizon at 4.52am.

https://news.sky.com/story/stonehenge-summer-solstice-thousands-gather-to-cheer-sunrise-on-longest-day-of-year-11746049

• Like 5

I think it is an amazing site. But one mith that still has been brought farword is that the Druids built it. However, in recent years it has been proven to out date the Druid culture in Britainia by almost a 1000 years. To this day no one knows for certain who built it, the only thing for certain is that it was built in Neolithic times. 

Enjoyed the thread thanks.

Aye, nothing at all to do with druids.   And I think it's more likely it was designed to recognise the winter, rather than summer, solstice.   The former - the return of the Sun and the origin of Christmas - being far more important that the longest day.

• Thanks 1

You're wrong! I was the droids who built it, and here's the evidence

58468659_103563954154021_373762816894358

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

You're wrong! I was the droids who built it, and here's the evidence

58468659_103563954154021_373762816894358

You can't argue with proof. :yes:

• Like 1