Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nazca bird geoglyphs depict 'exotic' species

UM-Bot

Interesting but I dont know. First, there was no information as to why they thought it was that specific hummingbird instead of a hummingbird from the area where the lines were created. Second, I'm not sure how accurate the artists could be since they had no way to check their work from above and make corrections. Plus the artwork at that time would have been primitive any way so our speculations are guesswork as was the original art. Maybe someone who knows more about the Nazca lines will weigh in.

• Like 3

i dont know much about the lines so im guessing this has come up a zillion times before, but could those peoples flew on large kites to see the lines?

the pictures are one line in otherwords you could walk it, seems someway a clue.

• Haha 1

They built a small tower. And all the lines can be seen from nearby hills.

I'm skeptical of this interpretation. The animals are all so stylized I doubt such specific species identification is actually possible.

Same figures are depicted on the Nazca pottery and textiles.

Harte

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

A new study has reignited the debate over the mysterious line drawings and why they were created.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/328626/nazca-bird-geoglyphs-depict-exotic-species

Vague, but an interesting piece of trivia if true. Like others have noted I don't think the people who made those were going for earthly accuracy but doing so for supernatural 'merit'.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, skliss said:

Interesting but I dont know. First, there was no information as to why they thought it was that specific hummingbird instead of a hummingbird from the area where the lines were created. Second, I'm not sure how accurate the artists could be since they had no way to check their work from above and make corrections. Plus the artwork at that time would have been primitive any way so our speculations are guesswork as was the original art. Maybe someone who knows more about the Nazca lines will weigh in.

I'm in complete agreement with you here.  And it's stylized, to boot. 

• Like 4

People have a real tendency to forget that drawings, paintings, carvings etc are not photographs. Hummingbirds carried a great deal of religious and cultural significance across Mesoamerica. The Nazca were no exception to this. It would be surprising if they didn't assign some sort of supernatural power to the birds.

• Like 2

While everyone else was working, crazy Linus was off drawing giant animals.

• Haha 4

On 6/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, khazarkhum said:

People have a real tendency to forget that drawings, paintings, carvings etc are not photographs. Hummingbirds carried a great deal of religious and cultural significance across Mesoamerica. The Nazca were no exception to this. It would be surprising if they didn't assign some sort of supernatural power to the birds.

North America too.

1 hour ago, Piney said:

North America too.

From Timbuktu to Portland, Maine. Or Portland, Oregon, for that matter.

tumblr_ol4xf821cr1rfd7lko1_500.gif

Harte

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 8:09 PM, UM-Bot said:

A new study has reignited the debate over the mysterious line drawings and why they were created.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/328626/nazca-bird-geoglyphs-depict-exotic-species

I think that the scientists have left to much to personal interpretation and haven't based enough of their finding on proven facts. For me there is too much speculation without hard facts.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, the13bats said:

i dont know much about the lines so im guessing this has come up a zillion times before, but could those peoples flew on large kites to see the lines?

the pictures are one line in otherwords you could walk it, seems someway a clue.

@skliss  too

This is an issue (non issue, to me) that crops up in these Nazca Lines threads (and on Ancient Aliens too!) that I find is amusing. It is not difficult *at all* to draw these huge depictions on the ground with great accuracy without viewing it from above. In fact it is simpler than one would normally believe.  And I learned this is grammar school!  lol - oh, those nuns were clever :) 

You draw your depiction on a piece of paper with gridwork on it. Then you draw an enlarged grid on the ground. Then you find all the places on the grid where the depiction goes through that piece of the grid and make your "mark" or your line on the ground. Then do your best to freehand connect the marks you drew. Depending on how many gridlines you have will determine how accurate you would be. 

But there really is no mystery here, not as I see it, anyway. But either way, ya gotta like those Nazca Lines. very beautiful

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 10:26 PM, Piney said:

North America too.

I understand they really dug Buzz, the chainsaw God, too :rolleyes:

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I understand they really dug Buzz, the chainsaw God, too :rolleyes:

:huh: Huh? 

On 6/22/2019 at 9:51 AM, Harte said:

They built a small tower. And all the lines can be seen from nearby hills.

I'm skeptical of this interpretation. The animals are all so stylized I doubt such specific species identification is actually possible.

Same figures are depicted on the Nazca pottery and textiles.

Harte

I remember reading somewhere(see link)where somebody hypothesized that they had hot air balloons they used when drawing the lines. I never took it too seriously but it was always more plausible to me than aliens and planes.

https://worldhistory.us/latin-american-history/nazca-lines-the-worlds-first-hot-air-balloon-a-theory-of-ancient-flight-in-peru-nazca-desert-mystery.php

@Piney  need I draw dots for you to connect...?

On 6/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, khazarkhum said:

Hummingbirds carried a great deal of religious and cultural significance across Mesoamerica. The Nazca were no exception to this.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:26 PM, Piney said:

North America too.

:unsure:  Ok. Well, never mind!!     lol

• Thanks 1

Just now, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

:unsure:  Ok. Well, never mind!!     lol

:lol: I need coffee! 

• Haha 1

eot, i wasnt saying they had to be in the air to draw the pics, but they would have had to have been in the air to see the full image,  i never thought aliens had anything to do with it i find it super condesending , belittleing and insulting that guys with "von" in their names or their weird hair, spray tan lemmings spew ancient peoples were too stupid to do this too stupid to do that without aliens showing them how,

i was letting my mind wonder, kites, tethered hang gliders, they had the materials to built them as RJ shared some suggested hot air ballons, i dont know of any evidence to this but i do not believe ancient people were the blitheting idiots some make them out to be.

i was always into the odd stuff coral castle down south florida was so cool to me, when i finally got to see it i wasnt disappointed albeit crest fallen, its not all that epic or big, but still it has had its mysteries and stigmas, no little poor heath illiterate fellow could have made it by himself so much bs embelishment, even the builder hinted he had special knowledge of course it was his income giving tours then when facts come out its so prosaic its stupid boring, he did it with block and tackle, which had been dismissed as impossible and ridiculous,  early lost videos popped up showed him in action, case solved, no alien help no special powers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

no little poor heath illiterate fellow could have made it by himself so much bs embelishment, even the builder hinted he had special knowledge of course it was his income giving tours then when facts come out its so prosaic its stupid boring, he did it with block and tackle,

Not sure he did it with block and tackle, either. They *claim* the timber in the tripod he used would not support the weight.There is certainly a way to prove that claim, if anyone wants to try to lift those weights with that same configuration of tripod timber and chain & pullies. Not sure how he did it.

They *claim* that at the top of the tripod of timber that he used to hoist the coral blocks was a leather bag that contained his "secret anti gravity device". But who knows ?!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Not sure he did it with block and tackle, either. They *claim* the timber in the tripod he used would not support the weight.There is certainly a way to prove that claim, if anyone wants to try to lift those weights with that same configuration of tripod timber and chain & pullies. Not sure how he did it.

They *claim* that at the top of the tripod of timber that he used to hoist the coral blocks was a leather bag that contained his "secret anti gravity device". But who knows ?!

ill try to find it, there is a video that shows him lifting blocks with block and tackle and pretty sure it shows inside or at least explains his mystery box,  he used other weird but prosiac methods it showed too,

for me this was a case of i bought into embelishment and hype but with honest research and not much i got an explanation that i do believe, and trust me i wanted to be a magic anti gravity box.

• Like 1

Coral Castle

coralcastlemap.jpg

edatwork1.jpg

edliftingcoral.jpg

modern.jpg

sideways.gif

• Like 2