Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nazca bird geoglyphs depict 'exotic' species

UM-Bot

8 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

(insert very skeptical and somewhat offended tone) ...and you know this... HOW?

(asking for an archaeologist... and an archaeologist's dig crew member (me))

Because I am an archaeologist. Archaeology is pure interpretation. If you are a 'crew member' you should know this. May I ask what is your role within your unit? 

12 minutes ago, Mellon Man said:

Because I am an archaeologist. Archaeology is pure interpretation. If you are a 'crew member' you should know this. May I ask what is your role within your unit? 

I'm a part-time shovelbum.  What digs have you been involved with?  I recently did the Palo Duro Canyon one with TAS.

What's your specialty?

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I'm a part-time shovelbum.  What digs have you been involved with?  I recently did the Palo Duro Canyon one with TAS.

What's your specialty?

Are you attached as a volunteer? I would expect you to at least have done some context sheets. Can you please explain how you fill one out without personal interpretation. I am shocked that a Part-Time 'shovelbum' either dont know or dont understand why and how archaeology is based on interpretation. 

Addition:

Several, my most recent, which I just returned from today, involved an excavation of a prehistoric round mound. As to my specialities, I would rather keep them private and not public. But several users on this forum know of them. 

Edited by Mellon Man
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mellon Man said:

Are you attached as a volunteer? I would expect you to at least have done some context sheets. Can you please explain how you fill one out without personal interpretation. I am shocked that a Part-Time 'shovelbum' either dont know or dont understand why and how archaeology is based on interpretation. 

I see from other interactions that we're not communicating well.  At this point, I understand that what you mean by "interpretation" is not what I originally thought and apologize that I took offense at what seemed to be a dismissal of good technique and scholarship and research with a "interpretive (i.e., "channeling") approach.

• Like 1