Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Wallet Honesty Test

DieChecker

Can't believe this wasn't posted yet. I did searches on "wallet" and "honest", but didn't see it if it has been posted.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/734141432/what-dropping-17-000-wallets-around-the-globe-can-teach-us-about-honesty

The experiment started small, with a research assistant in Finland turning in a few wallets with different amounts of money. He would walk up to the counter of a big public place, like a bank or a post office.

The researchers decided to do the experiment on a much larger scale. They put together a team that dropped off more than 17,000 "lost" wallets in 40 countries over the course of more than two years.

Original Article

The graphic they developed is extremely interesting....

Basically the more money in the wallet, the more likely it was to be turned in. 

F1.large.jpg?width=800&height=600&carous

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Guilt can be an effective motivator.

outside the club which i dont count i once found a wallet with over 600.00 in it, credit cards id the works, it was before net  before cell phones i get home call the guy, hes snarky, from "hello" then says i guess the moneys gone, i said um, no its got a lot of cash, he grunts "oh" then asks where did i find it i tell him he says "sounds right" then asks me to bring it to him, its a couple blocks over so i say sure,  i pull up start to get out, he darts out grabs it, turns barely mumbling "thanks" i found it as odd as i did rude and ungrateful.

• Like 3

This reminds me that we really own nothing in life... not even our own bodies.

We own nothing it seems, aside from our presence and attention. 

And these to me, are valuable beyond measure.

Any longer the gifts I ask for, don't come from stores and aren't things.  They're the presence and attention of love from those i cherish.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the13bats said:

outside the club which i dont count i once found a wallet with over 600.00 in it, credit cards id the works, it was before net  before cell phones i get home call the guy, hes snarky, from "hello" then says i guess the moneys gone, i said um, no its got a lot of cash, he grunts "oh" then asks where did i find it i tell him he says "sounds right" then asks me to bring it to him, its a couple blocks over so i say sure,  i pull up start to get out, he darts out grabs it, turns barely mumbling "thanks" i found it as odd as i did rude and ungrateful.

Something similar happened to me with a old lady and a purse with 350$. Barely a thank you even after i drove outta my way to return it. I still think about it from time to time and wonder if it would be better in the future to remove and pocket the finders fee before hand before handing it in. 

I found a wallet in a McDonalds once. Picked it up, showed it to the cashier lady. Handed it over to her, and she put it into her jacket....

I wonder if this was testing the people who "Found" the wallet, or the people who the wallet was given to, to return? Really, if I'm reading this right, the wallet was "Found" by those conducting the test, and handed off to a 2nd person. It is the second person who is being researched here. Maybe the 2nd person is more likely to be honest because they are more then likely working somewhere, which a manager/boss watching them. I bet the same people, if they found a wallet in the mouth of an ally, would act somewhat less honest.

Maybe the countries that are "Less" honest, are actually the ones where the people are being More honest, in what they would rather do??