Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All aboard Britain’s first hydrogen train

Still Waters

Hydrogen-powered trains are arguably the greenest trains out there.

"Mini power stations on wheels", is how Alex Burrows from the University of Birmingham describes them.

He is the project director for the 'Hydroflex' train which was showcased at an event in the West Midlands.

Unlike diesel trains, hydrogen-powered trains do not emit harmful gases, instead using hydrogen and oxygen to produce electricity, water and heat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48698532

• Like 1

Pretty much a potential bomb on wheels.

I wonder how much carbon based fuel is used to manufacture the hydrogen?

20 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Hopefully not dangerous like in time when Ford Nucleon thinking was a thing :D 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 8:34 AM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

The electrolysis of water is 237.13 kJ of electricity for 1 mole of water, the molar mass of water is 18.02 grams/mole.

Assuming 1 kg of water, which isnt a lot, that would be about 55.55 moles of water which would need about 13,172.57 kJ of electricity to break into 0.11 kg of hydrogen produced.

Burning methane, burning coal or any other biomass is a lot more complicated to figure out depending on how accurate you want to be, releases 50.1 kJ/gram.  Efficiency of a natural gas power plant is normally between 85% and 90% so going with 90% efficiency you would need about 0.29 kg of methane assuming no other losses of energy.  Burning that 0.29 kg of methane would result in about 0.80 kg of CO2 for ever 0.11 kg of hydrogen produced.

Using my phone and doing this rather quickly the numbers are more ballpark then perfectly accurate.

On 24.6.2019 at 2:34 PM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Nonsense. For example, cars powered by hydrogen do not pose a bigger threat than cars powered by liquid fuels or batteries. And, metal hydride tanks do have a much higher safety level than a stupid fuel tank made out of 0,8mm metal sheet.

Hell, you urgently need further education on the subject! Do you really think that future hydrogen production will be done with diesel engines those produce electricity for the electrolysis process to produce hydrogen? Really?