Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Air Canada: Woman left on empty, locked plane

Still Waters

Air Canada says it is investigating after a passenger claims she was left alone in a pitch-dark airplane after it landed in Toronto.

In a post on Air Canada’s Facebook page, Tiffani Adams says she fell asleep during her 90 minute flight home from Quebec City on June 9. She says the next thing she remembers is waking up inside the freezing cold aircraft still strapped into her seat around midnight, approximately two hours after her flight landed.

“I think I’m having a bad dream bc like seriously how is this happening!!?!” Adams writes.

https://www.680news.com/2019/06/23/air-canada-investigating-after-woman-left-in-empty-locked-airplane/

• Like 2

That was a pretty big oops.  I can't imagine being as traumatized by it as she seems to be.  I'd be miffed and want to be comped for a few flights ;) 

I remember hearing a story about an MRI patient being left INSIDE THE MAGNET BORE on a Friday afternoon.  The machine makes a tremendous amount of noise while scanning them becomes quiet for short periods of time while the next sequence is being set up so the patient gets used to such pauses.  When the last one occurred she was left waiting...and waiting... Eventually, she couldn't get anyone to respond so she climbed out and found the clinic site empty and the doors locked.  It was a free-standing clinic, privately owned and she could have taken them to the cleaners but the tech was friendly and so apologetic about her incompetence that the elderly lady just laughed it off.  That event could have seriously messed someone else up mentally.  Claustrophobia is very real and can lead to serious harm if patients aren't helped quickly when they panic.  That Tech got very lucky.

Edited by and then
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, and then said:

That was a pretty big oops.  I can't imagine being as traumatized by it as she seems to be.  I'd be miffed and want to be comped for a few flights ;) 

A bigger ‘oops’ if it were a terrorist and there was still enough fuel to take off and navigate to a target.

If landed on time, it would basically have an hours flight time worth of fuel.

Would authorities ‘stop’ a commercial aircraft taxiing for takeoff? ATC would report unlawful interference, but what authorities choose to do with that limited information would be a different story. The ‘pilot’ would most likely not speak to ATC. Who knows! 

The airline should be fined heavily and made to properly comply with regulation. 

It is a stuff up which has potential to result in massive consequence. 

• Like 1

Maybe next time she shouldn't take so much sleeping medicine. People probably tried to wake her up. Don't blame other passengers. How do you not hear the intercom, the chaos that goes on after landing. They probably thought she died

• Confused 3

4 minutes ago, AllPossible said:

Maybe next time she shouldn't take so much sleeping medicine. People probably tried to wake her up. Don't blame other passengers. How do you not hear the intercom, the chaos that goes on after landing. They probably thought she died

The staff couldn't wake her up so they just shrugged their shoulders and left? Aren't they staff supposed to do a walk through after all the passengers have exited the plane?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

The staff couldn't wake her up so they just shrugged their shoulders and left? Aren't they staff supposed to do a walk through after all the passengers have exited the plane?

Yep. Clearly the staff didn't do a proper walk through, or a walk through at all. You can't miss a person in a seat unless you aren't there to see them in the first place.

In any case, damn...That'd be horrifying and disorienting. Hell, I'm disoriented AF for a bit if I fall asleep when it's light out, and wake up in the dark. Waking up in an empty, freezing cold plane cabin is a total Twilight Zone episode, LOL. I'd probably seriously think I was dead...For a few seconds.

Honestly, am I the only one who would be initially startled but still find this whole experience quite hilarious? I think I'd want my ticket money back but other than that it's essentially just one of those moments where life decides to shake you to make sure you're still paying attention. :lol:

I don't fly, so I don't know the procedures, but wouldn't there be a cleaning crew or something between flights?  I've never seen a gathering of people that didn't leave behind trash and lost items.  I understand most planes are in the air as much as possible so it's hard to believe someone didn't find her.  Also, was there no one to greet her at the airport or waiting for her at home?  I've met incoming passengers and if they weren't there I'd be asking somebody to check.

• Like 1

stuff happens,.. now, what would i do if i was left locked in an airplane, hm..... btw i'm pretty sure she could have used emergency exit if she wanted to.

as much as i'd love to take that bird into the air, i'd probably get into first class cabin, and have a good night sleep, no kids to deal with, no dogs to walk....

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The staff probably didn´t do a seat row by row search, they probably were near the exit and took a look from the exit to the very end, and the passenger was probably sleeping do the side or with her head lower than the seat, that´s why they missed her.

On 6/23/2019 at 4:31 PM, Still Waters said:

Air Canada says it is investigating after a passenger claims she was left alone in a pitch-dark airplane after it landed in Toronto.

In a post on Air Canada’s Facebook page, Tiffani Adams says she fell asleep during her 90 minute flight home from Quebec City on June 9. She says the next thing she remembers is waking up inside the freezing cold aircraft still strapped into her seat around midnight, approximately two hours after her flight landed.

“I think I’m having a bad dream bc like seriously how is this happening!!?!” Adams writes.

https://www.680news.com/2019/06/23/air-canada-investigating-after-woman-left-in-empty-locked-airplane/

Lucky for them she wasn't a terrorist with sabotage on their minds.

Air Canada has the worse customer service and stewardship in my experience.