Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Stanley Hotel Night Tour

NateParanormal

A few months ago, my family started talking about going to Colorado to visit relatives and to see the mountains. Little did I know, a part of the plan was to tour The Stanley Hotel AND to get a hotel nearby (The Lodge which was right by The Stanley Hotel). If you don't know, The Stanley Hotel is what inspired Steven King to write The Shining. In a now known popular room called Room 217 (which I didn't get to tour because night tours don't allow people to go where people are sleeping), Steven King woke up from a nightmare of the hallway hoses strangling his son and thus created The Shining. And from that point on, The Stanley became a popular tour of the paranormal.

Back to our family journey, we ended up getting the condo and our building was directly behind The Stanley Hotel. Aside from the eerieness, the condo was nice. The only problem was that there was no air conditioning and we had to open our windows to get the cold air from the mountains. The other problem was how creaky and noisy the condo was. There was a hot water tank in a closet behind the living room couch and it made noises from time to time.

I will say that I am a paranoid person, at least I think I was the most paranoid out of the group we had. When it turned to night and the noises kept going, I was even more paranoid. I was the one who slept out in the living room in a fold out couch, and luckily, I was able to get some sleep despite the noises. On the first night, I could've sworn I saw a shadow in my peripheral vision to my left. I turned to see if something was there but there was nothing.

I saw another shadow again and I turned and a large shadow was moving from left to right and I panicked but I didn't scream because nothing happened after it disappeared. On the night tour, I saw something similar in the ballroom (Which is also closed off to guests except people on a tour). I got to sit on the staircase where you go up the stage, and I remember turning my head to the left thinking I would see something, and in my peripheral, I did. I turned and the translucent dark figure walking to the right was gone. At least, that's how I can describe it. This "shadow" person is actually three dimensional, unlike a shadow. I have taken pictures in the ballroom, and more of my story can be seen here: 

There's only imagery, but I found it to be most effective. There are a lot of notable apparitions, like the face on my brother's clothing, the full body child behind the tables. Those ones you can definitely see, but the last part of the video is the creepiest of them all where we went to the underground tunnel under The Stanley Hotel. I'm willing to give you the original and brightened photos I have taken. You can have a better look at the photographs with the full images. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pg27azD2HSGVoNwvmoWd06_bKAOr0mmJ/view?usp=sharing 

I have never been to one of those Halloween mock-up haunted houses as a child or teen but dang this definitely creeped me out. What do you guys think?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

imagination? paranoia? Pareidolia?

clickbait style video.

you very well may had some sort of encounter but im not using your work as proof of anything paranormal, supernatural or evidence that haunts are lurking about.

• Confused 1

There is no way I would sleep for one night at The Stanley Hotel.  Just check out the pictures on Trip Advisor of the filthy dirty rooms and mold and dust in the bathrooms. 

• Like 1

If anyone else went on the night tour before and remembered the person who passed away in the basement (The tunnel) under The Stanley Hotel, please post here, I would be intrigued to remember the person's name because I am interested in what I saw on the photos I took at that tunnel. All I remember was that it was a worker and he was a baker as well, but not his name. Thank you.

• Like 2

I could imagine how eerie and creepy that place would feel knowing the history. People obviously go there expecting to see something which would increase the tension and excitment within yourself. Not saying you didnt see anything just nothing of substance on camera. Definitely not clickbait though infact i think your video editing skills are pretty well done. ^_^ 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 2:46 AM, Ironside said:

I could imagine how eerie and creepy that place would feel knowing the history. People obviously go there expecting to see something which would increase the tension and excitment within yourself. Not saying you didnt see anything just nothing of substance on camera. Definitely not clickbait though infact i think your video editing skills are pretty well done. ^_^ 

I will admit, a lot of my content doesn't make sense at times, I'm not used to putting what I need to put (video evidence, experiments, other things to add to content, etc..) and I get why people don't really watch my content that much. I guess you could say I put half the effort when I need to describe what I'm explaining. My motivation skills are lacking which is why I don't put much effort into adding substance in my content. At least, this is the current best I could do and I think I can make enough sense for a person to understand. But if you're talking substance, I won't mind if you ask questions on my video. And I apologize for the video looking like it's clickbait because of the thumbnail, that was a generated thumbnail I chose because I put photos that I brightened and circled in red but it was never my intention to be clickbaity. And thank you for the compliment, I learned most of my video editing skills from my brother who also appears in one of the photos on my Stanley Hotel video. Going back to the video I posted, I also get that there will be skeptics because I didn't add enough *evidence*. I would've chosen to video record if my iPhone 6 had a tad bit larger storage (The iPhone only has 16 GB so yeah...). But in my opinion, I think photo taking was the best option, and I know imagery can be less believable. I plan to get a new phone soon with higher megapixels in the camera and most likely more storage. Thing is, it may not matter anymore because I did what I could which was taking photos and expect people to believe them. I know I didn't catch very materialized ghosts (At least I think that's what I did wrong), but no one should expect it to happen at all. The thing I learned about my journey to The Stanley Hotel is that we as humans hardly ever see what's happening around us like maybe a floating skull is watching us as we speak! My brother took a photo and there was literally a floating skull in the center of the view in the ballroom at The Stanley Hotel. I don't know if you want to see it, but I did brighten and circle it as I did with the photos on The Stanley Hotel video I did. I'm willing to post it. I'm also brewing a theory in my mind that's kinda big that's connected to one of the photos I've taken and could span for a while, but I'll first post the floating skull photo first if you'd like and we'll see if you want to hear my thoughts on this quote-on-quote "new" discovery.

• Like 2

Here is the photo my brother took as promised: UwJdjp3.jpg

(Sorry if I didn't note that I circled other possible faces, but the skull is at the very center.)

Next post is me describing the thoughts I had after the tunnel photos I've taken at The Stanley Hotel. I feel typing the theory next to my brother's photo won't be related. It'll also be long so I'm trying to take fewer risks on being timed out.

Edited by NateParanormal
  • Thanks 1

I dont really see any faces, i definitely see both skulls though... looking from an outside perspective i think its just a coincidental arrangement of pixels i.e pareidolia from smudges on windows etc. It is quite clear if you zoom in enough. Cool photo. Keep searching. Keep documenting.

Edited by Ironside
Text size is doing strange stuff
  • Like 1

It all starts here. I'm going to put my bets we are seeing a person who used to work in the tunnel who was also a baker (The tour guide said his name but my memory skills are very lacking). All I know was that he died of a heart attack, but It seems his apparition travels through metallic pipes to get where he needs. It could be this worker died and his energy decided to make the pipes his home, or the pipes are actually close to his real body and we were right by it this whole time. And why would I think his real body is close to these pipes? Let me show you these photos really quick. 

08JrbpE.jpg

hoxUfrJ.jpg

L11kwnD.jpg

G08ZWz5.jpg

yiStZrY.jpg

BQwOp5s.jpg

xeQM1gE.jpg

WrRhtfs.jpg

I0wVX4U.jpg

As you may have observed in the photos, the blue light was key, and it seems that's where the spirit gets his energy. The tour guide also said if you call out to it, "you will see a blue apparition". I only saw the face of the apparition on a horizontal pole as seen on three of the last images I posted, and that was enough to convince me. And now why did I think the spirit's real body was closer and near the tunnel? Recently, I had a cat pass away in April, and I got a container with his ashes. Guess where his container is next to? An iHome that glows in the dark with blue lights. He was an Orange Tabby, and I was very close to my cat.

When I got his ashes, something actually happened that people would consider paranormal. Maybe it was the first week when I had his ashes, but one day, a thunderstorm came to our house in the morning while I was sleeping. I woke up probably at 11 AM, but I can't exactly remember the time. I woke up to the sound of dripping, but I couldn't see what it was because I need my glasses to see what it is. In my room where my ceiling fan is, water was dripping from the pull-down switch where you can turn on the ceiling fan light, and there was a dark spot where water was dripping on the carpet. I didn't really know how to react because it never happened before until we got our cat's ashes into my room.

My family helped get a towel and luckily, the carpet and underneath didn't get damaged. I wasn't really thinking that it was my cat's spirit doing it because I didn't believe it. My ceiling fan had a motor blow out two years ago, and it remained broken. I was thinking maybe it was because of that reason that it was dripping with water. But then, the next storms came, and I had the towel where water would usually drip, and never again did it start dripping.

But why did it stop leaking? Because I was close to my cat, he's still with me. His dead body had been gone for two weeks to get a private cremation, and I could've sworn even when I wasn't there to see his cremation, I saw disturbing images in my mind of his body being cremated. He was sending a message to me through his spirit, maybe he still wasn't ready to leave, but I was sure he was dead, his paws felt cold the last time I left him to confirm his death. As a cat, he was an inside cat and he doesn't like strangers. He was outside of his body so he couldn't feel pain anymore, but his fear of the outside and strangers still kept with him.

When I got his ashes back as well with his cat hairs and paw print, his spirit was still panicking and caused the leakage. After the leaking incident, I could've thought I saw something in my peripheral at my bed where his ashes were. And still, in my peripheral, I saw a face over his ashes that was slowly blinking. I could sense his spirit, he was right there. I felt heavy remorse because it felt like a very tired presence and I felt like I could've done more.

And then, my anticipation for The Stanley Hotel happened because it was about *spirits*. I'm starting to remember, but I had a similar sensation of when my cat was being cremated and I saw some disturbing images in my mind about The Stanley Hotel. The images looked like pictures of dead people's faces one by one that looked mutilated. I also have a feeling that it's my fault because I have looked up some disgusting stuff before in that similar fashion so maybe it went into my mind but I'm willing to bet it was some sort of foresight. I'm not sure if it was my own thoughts or part of the same sensation, but I also saw a group of shadow people with glowing eyes looking at me with ill-intent.

Other than that, I never thought I'd find something that could help me realize what actually happened with my cat's spirit, but I think my cat's face projected off of the iHome's blue light and that's what I saw that was similar to the man's spirit in the tunnel. The theory is that since I have actually seen both this man's apparition and my cat's apparition in illuminated light, their bodies are linking to the metallic material their physical bodies are next to. The LED lights are a bonus for them to project themselves onto. The Stone Tape Theory plays a good role in this as well because the theory discusses materials like quarts and other chip-like materials that replay traumatic emotions. But I'm willing to believe it's like an ectoplasm that's actually them doing things to make themselves known in the material that they're in but it requires their remains to jump back into it. I have a feeling that my theory was once thought of before and underwent experimentation, but the information became classified somewhere. I know somewhere, someone has the answer. Now if you don't mind, I need some rest. Good day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those photos are quite interesting I'll admit. Have you considered maybe they have someone controlling these  LED's remotely everytime the tour group is down there? As always, Good work. :) Just be aware these tours and the superstition behind the hotel is probably the main source of their income.

Edited by Ironside
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” — Jack Torrance ;)

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 12:24 AM, NateParanormal said:

(Sorry if I didn't note that I circled other possible faces, but the skull is at the very center.)

Next post is me describing the thoughts I had after the tunnel photos I've taken at The Stanley Hotel. I feel typing the theory next to my brother's photo won't be related. It'll also be long so I'm trying to take fewer risks on being timed out.

A little musical accompaniment is in order...

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 3:24 AM, NateParanormal said:

pareidolia?

the best one i see is on the dancefloor and not to sound pompous you should have seen the skyll face in my tuna sub last night, but my hungery beat me to a camera

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 7:46 PM, khazarkhum said:

The obvious face is on the floor. It looks like a Jack-o-lantern, a highly stylized face.

It would be nice to see the same photos without the tightly drawn lines encircling what we are supposed to see.  AFAIC, if someone is drawing on top of a photo, then they are adding content to the subject matter. I want to see it untouched. If I need more info, then they can show me what they think they saw with the circling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advanced issues found

10 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

It would be nice to see the same photos without the tightly drawn lines encircling what we are supposed to see.  AFAIC, if someone is drawing on top of a photo, then they are adding content to the subject matter. I want to see it untouched. If I need more info, then they can show me what they think they saw with the circling.

Hello, I got an email to check on this forum post, and I apologize if I did not include the original photo my brother took which was this one: wU6F68S.jpg

I also made an imgur gallery of our night tour of The Stanley Hotel if you would like to check that too. I am posting at a lot of places and I am learning methods such as tracing as I'm posting my experience. Here is the gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/kA7KZRU

If you would like to see my trace of the floating skull (The only three-dimensional apparition in the ballroom), I'm willing to post it.

• Like 1

Sorry, but without your circles, there's nothing really there but your imagination. I do appreciate seeing the original, though.  Imagination is good until it gets the upper hand and becomes its own reality. Sometimes you have to step back and honestly ask yourself what you were trying to prove. 

• Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, ScotDeerie said:

Sorry, but without your circles, there's nothing really there but your imagination. I do appreciate seeing the original, though.  Imagination is good until it gets the upper hand and becomes its own reality. Sometimes you have to step back and honestly ask yourself what you were trying to prove. 

If you take the time to inspect the photos closely (On the brightened one and compare it with the outlined), you will see what I mean. I actually found more details inspecting the photos like seeing ears of this "floating skull" and the shape of the face. I recommend opening both these images in new tabs and go back and forth on the same spot this "floating skull" in the center of the camera is. If you can't see it, then you didn't inspect close enough.

3Rj5Dne.jpg

UwJdjp3.jpg

Update: it also seems I under-estimated how long the jaw is on this floating skull as well upon further inspection.

Edited by NateParanormal
  • Like 1

I don’t see faces in the original or even in the one where you circled things. I guess I can see some shapes but I think it’s just reflections from around the room. 

Your brain is looking for familiar patterns. Faces are something  we see in lots of places, an outlet looks like a shocked face to me. It’s just the way our brain works.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

almost every picture i see get posted trying to show spookies has the mist, orb, glare, etc circled, pointed at etc, because most times if they dont then most viewers see zip, zero, nothing,

i see a little pareidolia here and lot of vivid imagination and wishful thinking, i dont want to sound snide but i could go snap a pic in my basement and have just as much pareidolia.

the next jump is when the photographer insists its got to be paranormal no other option, the close minded thing is too restrictive for me i get bored move on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the things you are. I see the jack-o-lantern skull because I know where to look to see it. However, even knowing where to look on the picture didn't help me spot anything else.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, khazarkhum said:

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the things you are. I see the jack-o-lantern skull because I know where to look to see it. However, even knowing where to look on the picture didn't help me spot anything else.

This may help. https://i.imgur.com/6Uyce1e.mp4

• Like 1
  • Confused 1