Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

£2.4m to fancy-up Duke's cottage

Eldorado

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new home of Frogmore Cottage has cost £2.4 million of public funds to renovate so far, according to this year’s Royal accounts.

"The cottage has been remodelled from five separate living quarters into one large official residence for the couple and their son Archie, paid for largely by the Sovereign Grant."

Full story at the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2019/06/24/public-paid-24m-renovate-duke-duchess-sussexs-frogmore-cottage/

At ITV: https://www.itv.com/news/2019-06-25/the-2-4-million-cost-of-harry-and-meghans-new-home/

So that's why I can't afford to do anything on my own house... 

Wow, imagine what that could have done to help the poor people in Rwanda, Meghan? 

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Wow, imagine what that could have done to help the poor people in Rwanda, Meghan? 

absolutely nothing,   that money would be stolen\wasted before it even got to Rwanda,  also, what makes you think they want our help?  every time we try to help someone, things only get worst for them,

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, aztek said:

absolutely nothing,   that money would be stolen\wasted before it even got to Rwanda,  also, what makes you think they want our help?  every time we try to help someone, things only get worst for them,

I stopped giving money to other countries yeeeeeaars ago.

If only I could stop my tax money going to expensive royal make-overs. 

I think the US should contribute towards this now, the English tax payer should not be paying  for ever re thing

"US immigration law doesn't require the child of a US citizen and an alien [or non-citizen] to be born in the US for the child to acquire US citizenship."

Lets do this dual thing together and pay for it together.

Although i would rather NO tax payers money was used.

Edited by freetoroam

Just now, aztek said:

pay for what together? your royals home improvement? 

Not my royals home buddy!!! :P

She still does not have a British passport, get her parents to contribute her half if she wants a make-over.

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Not my royals home buddy!!! :P

She still does not have a British passport, get her parents to contribute her half if she wants a make-over.

thanks, but we have P. Morgan here, so we are even

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ethereal_scout said:

Don't have an issue with it - don't know why but I don't.

Maybe because you know your place and to not question your betters. 

Harry and Meghan’s New Home’s Renovations Cost Over $3M, Outraged British Public Discovers

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are under attack for extravagance on Tuesday after the annual publication of the royal accounts showed they have already spent £2.4m ($3m) of public money renovating their new home, Frogmore Cottage—and work on the property is still not complete.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/harry-meghan-home-renovations-cost-093412307.html

“A charity spent £2.4 million on a support center for Marines suffering PTSD. The taxpayers then spent the same amount on a luxury private home for Harry and Meghan,” he tweeted, while linking to an article on the construction of a support hub for Royal Marines in Lympstone, Devon.

However, critics dismissed this argument, saying the house, which was previously divided up into five individual staff flats, was only converted at such huge expense into a single home because Harry and Meghan turned their noses up at the prospect of living in Kate and William’s shadow at Kensington Palace.

Edited by aztek

Outrage. this is costing each and every tax payer. £0.00,79p not even a penny. Good investment i think. for less than a penny, The Duke & Duchess will generate £150 million for charitable causes and this not taking into account the publicity and awareness raised. 

if someone said to me, Steve you pay less than a penny and play your part in helping generate £150million. you couldn't argue. okay Harry and Megan get a kick back living in a 2.1mill house, they were never going to live in a council house so whats with all the outrage. think of it this way your using their status to do things others couldn't. its well known charities that have Royal support/backing have less corruption. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spot on @stevewinn. The royals do alot for British industry, charities and tourism. Just petty.  

1. It's from the sovereign grant. It's money that was already spent. 

2. The cottage already needed renovating even before they decided to move in. So the money was already spent one exactly this. 

Typical hack-rags seizing any chance to write an article bashing the royals. 

2 hours ago, Setton said:

1. It's from the sovereign grant. It's money that was already spent. 

2. The cottage already needed renovating even before they decided to move in. So the money was already spent one exactly this. 

Typical hack-rags seizing any chance to write an article bashing the royals. 

Hmm.. I might quibble slightly on point (2) there @Setton. My understanding is that it was previously 5 staff cottages. The bulk of the money was spent knocking it through into One Huge Pad. So the money had NOT already been spent. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. I might quibble slightly on point (2) there @Setton. My understanding is that it was previously 5 staff cottages. The bulk of the money was spent knocking it through into One Huge Pad. So the money had NOT already been spent. 

Hmm... You might have a point. Although at least some of the 2.4 million was already earmarked for renovations. 

At any rate, if its from the sovereign grant, it hasn't cost the taxpayer a single penny extra. 

9 minutes ago, Setton said:

Hmm... You might have a point. Although at least some of the 2.4 million was already earmarked for renovations. 

At any rate, if its from the sovereign grant, it hasn't cost the taxpayer a single penny extra. 

Fair point. 

One thing I'm struggling with is to get any decent photographs of the place. There are lots of Frogmore Hall, but not many of the Cottage, and seemingly all from a single angle. 

Out of interest, how much do the 600 most honorable, trustworthy, decent, caring, intelligent people in the country - as specifically chosen by us, the people, for holding such virtues - claim in (often rather dubious, possibly/probably fraudulent) expenses each year?

£81m

Puts it into perspective?

And as noted above, the money for these renovations comes out of the increasing amount of money generated each year by the Crown anyway, so technically it doesn't actually cost the taxpayer anything at all.   A non-story whose sole purpose is to con the public and generate animosity against the Royal Family for nefarious reasons .....

https://fullfact.org/economy/frogmore-cotage/

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Fair point. 

One thing I'm struggling with is to get any decent photographs of the place. There are lots of Frogmore Hall, but not many of the Cottage, and seemingly all from a single angle. 

Suppose if it's just been for staff previously not many people will have bothered getting a photo. And since Harry and Meghan moved in, it's probably a lot harder! 

Someone once told me that to the English, the Royal Family is like a living, breathing Constitution or Bill of Rights would be to us. Not sure if that's how everyone looks at it, or not.  If those needed a new, 2.4 million dollar, temperature controlled building or something, I'd be all for it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, skliss said:

Someone once told me that to the English, the Royal Family is like a living, breathing Constitution or Bill of Rights would be to us. Not sure if that's how everyone looks at it, or not.  If those needed a new, 2.4 million dollar, temperature controlled building or something, I'd be all for it.

Living institutional tradition.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1