Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Happy Nazis

LucidElement

I just came across this video on YouTube and found it so baffling. It shows photos detailing the outside lives of German Nazis who worked in Auschwitz . It is not graphic but it 100 percent brings a new perspective into view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Does anyone else think that when your in an environment like that, these guards and workers do as much as they can to take their mind off what’s at hand ? Or do you think they are all literally psychotic? It interests me that the faces Some of them are expressing aren’t that of sadness or confusion, they seem to be all ah[[y and brainwashed.... but there has to be more then not that understand what they are doing is wrong ....  of course, if you don’t do what your told your “Fired” .. it’s baffling to figure out what went on in their heads. 

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

. it’s baffling to figure out what went on in their heads. 

Exactly. :hmm:

• Like 2

I liked the remake better.

• Like 1

If you come to understand the crazy, you’re as mad as they are. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LucidElement said:

Does anyone else think that when your in an environment like that, these guards and workers do as much as they can to take their mind off what’s at hand ? Or do you think they are all literally psychotic? It interests me that the faces Some of them are expressing aren’t that of sadness or confusion, they seem to be all ah[[y and brainwashed.... but there has to be more then not that understand what they are doing is wrong ....  of course, if you don’t do what your told your “Fired” .. it’s baffling to figure out what went on in their heads. 

There is nothing baffling about it. If they did not refuse to work in that environment it's because they were following their instinct of survival, and therefore they were conducting themselves as animals, and not human beings.

It's the old sick materialistic approach, as to them it was better to do injustice than to suffer it, so as to preserve their precious bodies, rather than to preserve their souls. I'm certain those will suffer their own injustice tenfold, somewhere further on up the road.

• Thanks 1

WWI was still fresh in the mind and lives, many still regards WWI as the ending of the world as they knew it then, 

~

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, third_eye said:

WWI was still fresh in the mind and lives, many still regards WWI as the ending of the world as they knew it then, 

~

I can understand the anger at the way they were treated by the victors but I'm not sure how that translated into a willingness to do what they did with eyes wide open.  To do such a thing, they had to believe that Jews and Poles and Gypsies and Gays were not human as they were.  The most important lesson from that time isn't the evil that Germans did.  It's that ANY people can convince themselves they are doing right even when their actions are obviously evil.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, LucidElement said:

This might interest you:

https://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

War criminals all had families, first they kill a kid in prison camp then, in their homes on dinner table kiss their own child. They also like to preach about morality. Every evil has man behind it. Or woman :D

• Like 3

There is no cause for bafflement, because the camps were run mostly by ordinary people. This is who we are, and this is what we do. Our redemption is that there's more to us than this, not that this isn't part of us.

Even the heroic Milgram (in an experiment that wouldn't get through an Institutional Review Board today, except at Mengele University) sanitized the ordinariness. He got the rationalization right, authority figures can steer others to do bad things, just like the Nuremberg defendants had argued. But I was only following orders is right up there with the Devil made me do it as a candid disclosure of self-knowledge.

Sit back and bask in that state of mind where folks would gladly do something bad to pursue a supposed greater good (aye, a greater good, now there's an excuse that will wipe most any slate clean):

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Even the heroic Milgram..........

I think we more or less agree.

What Milgram - and further research - has shown is that people don't necessarily have to be evil to carry out unethical orders. It's not that they can then claim to be absolved of responsibility, but simply that good (or normal) people are capable of doing bad things under certain circumstances.

Of course, this does not apply across the board and in my opinion there has to be a limit to how far you can apply this thinking. People working in concentration camps - especially those who enjoyed it or went above and beyond into personally administered cruelty - can't claim to be good people. One spur of the moment decision to obey an order, sure, you can put that down to what Milgram discovered. But going to work every day, sleeping at night after witnessing those horrors and waking to do it all again - I couldn't call someone like that a good or normal person.

• Like 5

There's a few experiments which explains how the germans could make these artocities one of them is Milgrams experiment. For those who dont know what Milgrams Experiment was read this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Ordinary people can get this brain washed cause we tend to follow order even if they're good or bad for us and when the wheels get in motion it's very hard to stop Gobbels was extremely good at propaganda and also Ze germans was indoctrinated. According to Hitler you were either with or against and those against should die. From what i've heard some high ranking officers usally from " preussia "only wanted to follow the Geneva Convetion and some actually followed it. Another experiment which is also interesting is the one that was made into a book and a film called the wave also Stanton Prison Experiment. 

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LucidElement said:

I just came across this video on YouTube and found it so baffling. It shows photos detailing the outside lives of German Nazis who worked in Auschwitz . It is not graphic but it 100 percent brings a new perspective into view.

When it comes to human nature we distort what people are really like.

Death on the News: Next time you watch a news story about someone who has died tragically watch how they get hyped up as a wonderful human being. The people talking will make out they had so much going for them in their lives but in reality 99% of them lived as much a unremarkable mundane existence as the rest of us. In reality they were also unlikely to have been perfectly behaved angels.

Pop Stars: Next time you come across one of these (or someone famous) watch the crazy look appear over peoples faces. Instead of seeing the star as a human being who has been successful in their music or TV careers, a lot of people go funny in the head. They convince themselves the star is something remarkable like a God and look up to them as one. Both Hitler and Elvis got that response off people, if you watch them on stage or interacting with the public you will notice that people have that funny look in their eyes.

Intellectuals: Next time you come across a successful business man/woman, doctor, lawyer, solicitor, accountant, politician, etc, watch how people behave around them. Having status in society makes people look up to you as something remarkable or special as well.

When you are told a certain group of people are good or evil then you behave in the same way as in the above examples. You turn them into angels or demons when in reality they are just men or women. Men and women who go about their lives having a laugh, getting drunk, enjoying themselves, etc. In wartime its one of the reasons that soldiers from opposing sides mingling with each other is frowned upon. If they mingle, they realise they are just like each other and then wont kill each other. The German people are and were just like the English people. Most of them look the same, have similar personalities, and back then both populations were quite nationalistic.

Most followed Hitler because he told them he was going to make them great.

• Like 3

This is a very interesting thread.:ph34r:

Great feedback and examples. I 100 percent believe they were manipulated - I went to Dachau a few months ago and our tour guide told us he had a hard time believing the prison guards and workers couldn't decipher right from wrong. But, I strongly believe if they didnt do their job they were as good as , perhaps, dead.

But its just interesting in that video to see how they were partying and smiling, laughing at the same time thousands of Jews were being put to death - almost like they erased that from their minds.

• Like 2

A Spanish general named Weyler first implimented the use of reconcentrados or " camps of reconcentration" to enclose the cuban civilian population loyal to spain. in what were meant to be safe areas this was during the cuban war of independence in the 1890s .when the spanish empire was faced with a guerrilla insurrection those outside the designated camps were to be deprived of amenities and forced into submission. In practice 2500 died in the camps of " reconcentration" due to poor diet and disease. The germans created the fiction during WW2 that it was a british invention during the boer war.  Talk about early fake news

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1

Smile for the camera . . . or else.  I am unsure how much can truly be read into the mind merely from the photos shown in the video.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LucidElement said:

I think they did what they could to be be ok, survive in a bad situation.  However I think it took it's toll.  I would be interested to know where each of them went and what they did after the war.

12 hours ago, LucidElement said:

I spent part of my childhood in Germany and encountered people who worked for the Nazis... and they're just ordinary people.  As to the guards, it's similar to prison guards in the US today.  If you believe that people are there because they've done something reprehensible and need to be punished, then it's easy to go down the slippery slope to dehumanizing and cruel treatment.  

I support a prison advocacy program and have done a little bit of work for them.  People jailed for minor things like traffic tickets have often been treated badly in our jails.  I quite literally had to fight the state to get a man jailed for kiting a check his CPAP machine and medication.  And this was the state of Texas.

• Like 2

There was a video on youtube which shows holocaust survivors being interviewed for Spielberg's film Schindler's List, and they were saying how they had a wonderful time at Auschwitz with concert parties and camp musicians, live entertainment and recreation rooms, and even shops and a special currency unique to all campers and how they had happy memories at Auschwitz.  It wasn't until the latter years of the war when it became overcrowded, conditions deteriorated rapidly, food rationing decreased, and disease spread across the camp which resulted in the immediate delousing of all inmates arriving into the camp and the burning of their clothes.  No surprise the video was removed from youtube.  I guess it doesn't 'fit' the narrative that is being peddled, and people wonder why more people question the holocaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm8UmMuRSSw

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

There was a video on youtube which shows holocaust survivors being interviewed for Spielberg's film Schindler's List, and they were saying how they had a wonderful time at Auschwitz with concert parties and camp musicians, live entertainment and recreation rooms, and even shops and a special currency unique to all campers and how they had happy memories at Auschwitz.  It wasn't until the latter years of the war when it became overcrowded, conditions deteriorated rapidly, food rationing decreased, and disease spread across the camp which resulted in the immediate delousing of all inmates arriving into the camp and the burning of their clothes.  No surprise the video was removed from youtube.  I guess it doesn't 'fit' the narrative that is being peddled, and people wonder why more people question the holocaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm8UmMuRSSw

When I was in Germany an old man told me he was conscripted into the Germany army and was scared and miserable all the time until the English saved him and kept him in a prisoner camp in England.  He would talk to any American or English G.I. because he had fond memories of the English and horrifying memories of army life.  Also, some women on a train who were children during WW2 gave me candy and asked me about where I grew up.  They said the Americans and English saved them.  I think the video was a true representation, but it does not excuse what happened later in the war when catholics and any one who spoke against the nazis was put in the concentration camps and so many people were gassed.  We have to look at the good, the bad and the ugly and remember it all.

Many excellent comments here.  One aspect also worth considering, though it is not limiting, is the utterly wrecked economy and society that befell the German population as a result of various powers, (the victors and some banking interests) bludgeoning Germany after the war.  The situation was desperate; Hitler offered them economic hope and delivered it to them, at the expense of the dispossessed and with the newly found slave labor for the Krupp family and other corporations.  People felt buoyant and became enamored of Hitler as their economic savior and their warrior leader.  The happy faces of the guards in the video mirrors the thrilled faces in the crowds at most Nazi rallies.  This metapsychological current, with its nationalistic euphoria, deadened their humanity towards the exploited and imprisoned.  It became normal in the society. 

How they could witness suffering and death as part of their pleasant work day, though, is really beyond me.  But it happened, and happens.

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LucidElement said:

...  but it 100 percent brings a new perspective into view

No, it dont. All well known already. And, the images of the holiday like events were in full compliance to the Kraft durch Freude doctrine of the nazi regime, so you can be sure that all the historic images in the vid, I didnt watched it completely, were well orchestrated and staged somehow.

Edit: the image at the beginning of the vid is one out of a collection of 116 images, taken by Karl Höcker/Auschwitz staff member. The images were first published in 2007 and are owned by the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and are published on the USHMM`s homepage.

Edited by toast
  • Thanks 2