Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts and spirits in my bedroom

Porkncheese

Hi guys. Im new here and decided to document an experience I had recently which occurred over 3 nights.

The first night I kept getting awoken by a loud noise like a clap or a bang only to find nothing around.

The second night I woke up and was getting out of bed to go to the toilet when i saw and old man beside my bed, face to face. I ran out of the room screaming and my parents came out to see what was happening. I told them but only managed to sound like a crazy man that was making no sense as there was clearly no one else in my room. They tried to assure me it was only a dream but I was convinced it wasn't, I was definitely awake.

As I was falling asleep the following night I was startled by what seemed like a blue dancing orb floating above my bed. Again I totllay **** myself and ran out the room screaming. Again my parents came out and again I could only manage to look like a person who belonged in a mental hospital. 

The next few days were spent trying to convince people what I saw but no one believed me. Most were telling me to see a doctor but I was afraid of being sent to a mental home as I had been diagnosed with depression and anxiety.

I started to think that maybe I was going insane. I know people with psychosis, schizophrenia and other mental disorders usually hear voices but I seemed to have skipped that stage and had gone straight in visual hallucinations. I was afraid to tell people and I was afraid to go to bed.

Then I started searching and found what it was. The first night I was experiencing "exploding head syndrome". Its not quite as bad as it sounds but its symptoms are exactly what I experienced.

On the other nights I experienced something known as "sleep hallucinations". These occur when falling asleep or waking up.

I was so relieved. Now I had a scientific explanation to show everyone that I wasn't insane, I saw a ghost. As I learnt more about it I learn that changes in the serotonin levels can bring on these hallucinations. That's how LSD works by blocking serotonin. That pointed me straight to these pills my GP had prescribed for me called Sertraline. I didn't want to take them but she talked me into it. I had been on them for 3 months and they work by blocking serotonin.

A look at the side effects of this drug surprised me. Not only was hallucination there but many other bad side effects. I was so angry with my doctor I was planning on sacking her. I went there and retold my events to see what she would say. She pointed straight to sleep hallucination condition and suggested to double the intake and send me to a mental hospital. I almost blew my head off but took a moment to gather myself and explained to her that I had never had this experience before and so was the probable cause of beginning these pills in the first place. So she agreed to take me off them and nothing ever happened since.

Has this ever happened to anyone here. I'd love to hear other stories and comparisons to hallucinations which were induced.

• Like 1

My brother was on a lot of different medications through out his life and every one of them made his issues worse, not better.  He said of lithium that he felt better for about 3 weeks, then everything crashed down around him.  I suggest everyone read up on the side effects of All medications, especially any thing that changes your brain chemistry, before they take them.    Yes, there are times when certain drugs are needed but that should not be the end all solution.  The whole attitude of allopathic medicine ("modern western medicine") is to alleviate symptoms rather than find the root cause of the symptoms.  Also, more money is made with this attitude so it is hard to fight the system when you know your doctor does not have your best interest in mind or is not trained to think about the body being a whole system.  (steps down from soap box)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've taken alot of psilocybin and have never hallucinated a fully formed human being. Good luck mate sounds like a very bad time :wacko:

You can take drugs to dull your awareness of the paranormal but its always going to be there.The drugs maybe just opening your mind to things.Not the way to go.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, Porkncheese said:

Hi guys. Im new here and decided to document an experience I had recently which occurred over 3 nights.

The first night I kept getting awoken by a loud noise like a clap or a bang only to find nothing around.

How close do you live to others? Are you in an apartment complex, duplex, suburb?

The second night I woke up and was getting out of bed to go to the toilet when i saw and old man beside my bed, face to face. I ran out of the room screaming and my parents came out to see what was happening. I told them but only managed to sound like a crazy man that was making no sense as there was clearly no one else in my room. They tried to assure me it was only a dream but I was convinced it wasn't, I was definitely awake.

You could've been half conscious as you made your way to the bathroom. Still in a dream daze.

As I was falling asleep the following night I was startled by what seemed like a blue dancing orb floating above my bed. Again I totllay **** myself and ran out the room screaming. Again my parents came out and again I could only manage to look like a person who belonged in a mental hospital. 

Sounds exactly like a hypnagogic hallucination. 

The next few days were spent trying to convince people what I saw but no one believed me. Most were telling me to see a doctor but I was afraid of being sent to a mental home as I had been diagnosed with depression and anxiety.

Try not feeding these ideas anymore. 

I started to think that maybe I was going insane. I know people with psychosis, schizophrenia and other mental disorders usually hear voices but I seemed to have skipped that stage and had gone straight in visual hallucinations. I was afraid to tell people and I was afraid to go to bed.

If these experience come with sleep you could very well be dealing with hypnagogic, hypnopompic hallucinations, a waking dream, altered state of conscious. Even belief itself. 

Then I started searching and found what it was. The first night I was experiencing "exploding head syndrome". Its not quite as bad as it sounds but its symptoms are exactly what I experienced.

Then you need to see a doctor about this.

On the other nights I experienced something known as "sleep hallucinations". These occur when falling asleep or waking up.

Hypnopompic and hypnagogic. 

I was so relieved. Now I had a scientific explanation to show everyone that I wasn't insane, I saw a ghost. As I learnt more about it I learn that changes in the serotonin levels can bring on these hallucinations. That's how LSD works by blocking serotonin. That pointed me straight to these pills my GP had prescribed for me called Sertraline. I didn't want to take them but she talked me into it. I had been on them for 3 months and they work by blocking serotonin.

A look at the side effects of this drug surprised me. Not only was hallucination there but many other bad side effects. I was so angry with my doctor I was planning on sacking her. I went there and retold my events to see what she would say. She pointed straight to sleep hallucination condition and suggested to double the intake and send me to a mental hospital. I almost blew my head off but took a moment to gather myself and explained to her that I had never had this experience before and so was the probable cause of beginning these pills in the first place. So she agreed to take me off them and nothing ever happened since.

How much actual sleep do you get and how much blue screen time (being on cellphone/online) you have. If you're on it till right at bed time, then your brain is still "on". So you'll have disturbed sleep. Try being off all tech an hour before going to sleep. 

Has this ever happened to anyone here. I'd love to hear other stories and comparisons to hallucinations which were induced.