Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'50+ hidden lakes' found under Greenland ice

Still Waters

Scientists have identified more than 50 new lakes of liquid water lying under the Greenland Ice Sheet.

Only four had previously been detected.

Antarctica hides some 470 lakes beneath its ice but this latest UK/US study proves the northern polar region also has its share.

They are nothing like as big, however. The largest down south, Lake Vostok, is 250km long. The biggest subglacial lake in Greenland is just 6km long.

Extensive areas of water can pool under a kilometres-thick ice sheet for a number of reasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48773778

• Like 5

There's no ice on the planet in 10 years. And I'm being optimistic about the 10 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cycles Cycles Cycles

19 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

There's no ice on the planet in 10 years. And I'm being optimistic about the 10 years.

I don't think it'll be that quick, but I do seriously think we might be past the point of no return. But hey, who cares right? We'll all be dead! Gotta make that fossil fuel money and deny science! <_<

10 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

I don't think it'll be that quick, but I do seriously think we might be past the point of no return. But hey, who cares right? We'll all be dead! Gotta make that fossil fuel money and deny science! <_<

Perhaps you're right, but if you observe ice melting, it's always slow at first, and then it suddenly accelerates. That acceleration has started, and it's also releasing ancient methane, that will further accelerate the melting. Seen in that perspective, I think 10 years is optimistic.