Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germany's Angela Merkel seen shaking again

ExpandMyMind

14 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Of course my grammar is bad, I'm not a native speaker. But yours is much worse. That's unnatural. Especially since you wish to pose as a nationalist. A nationalist must have perfect command of their own language. 

Besides, post #36. I gave the link to the blog where native speaker explains these very simple rules.

You are wrong. 

That's not a problem. Anyone can be and is wrong, daily. The problem is that you refuse to accept that, which leads into even bigger problem: you will never learn how to do it right. 

This must mean something else in your language it doesn't translate into English very well.

Read your own link again.

18 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

This must mean something else in your language it doesn't translate into English very well.

Read your own link again.

You can't be real. 

Are you forced to do this to yourself? Because it just can't be... voluntary. 

All right, my post #36, for your convenience, repeated: 

https://www.turnerink.co.uk/punctuation-tips/full-stops-inside-or-outside-of-brackets/

k, this is a short answer. A full stop appears inside the brackets, if the bracket contains a complete sentence.

She wore the red dress that evening. (Her sister wore the gold one.)
John needed the answer for question 7. (Jeff was struggling with question 1.)

The full stop appears outside of the brackets if the brackets don’t contain a complete sentence.

She wore the red dress that evening (and her sister wore the gold one).
John needed the answer for question 7 (however Jeff was struggling with question 1).

Simple, no?

28 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Right now Helen of Annoy is sat at home thinking...

Those English people, they are all crazy lol

Oh, crazy is good... a lot of UMers, for example, are English, crazy and I like them... well, not all of them, it would be insincere thing to say, but I do like most of you.  

And that's precisely why I can't stand the b******* whose political platform consists of trying to convince the simpler among us that we're enemies and share no common goals. 

Anyway, bye now, shoo, go away, there are other threads where I can wipe the floor with you. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Are you forced to do this to yourself? Because it just can't be... voluntary. 

Doesn't translate well into English, try a new online translator.

12 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

k, this is a short answer. A full stop appears inside the brackets, if the bracket contains a complete sentence.

She wore the red dress that evening. (Her sister wore the gold one.)
John needed the answer for question 7. (Jeff was struggling with question 1.)

The full stop appears outside of the brackets if the brackets don’t contain a complete sentence.

She wore the red dress that evening (and her sister wore the gold one).
John needed the answer for question 7 (however Jeff was struggling with question 1).

Simple, no?

Yes, the correct use of 'brackets' why are you insisting what you wrote is correct then?

Edited by hetrodoxly

20 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Doesn't translate well into English, try a new online translator.

Machine translators don't work that well with Slavic languages. They're too complex. 

Also, the majority of native English speakers with whom I communicate here can understand me, which I take as an indication that my English is good enough for conversation. So it must be something wrong with your ability to understand plain English.  

20 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Yes, the correct use of 'brackets' why are you insisting what you wrote is correct then?

Because it's obvious to anyone not completely, utterly stupid that I used the brackets and the full-stop correctly.

Why are you doing this to yourself? The more you insist, the more obvious it is that you've got either insurmountable troubles with very basic writing rules, either serious emotional issues. 

You were wrong. So what? It's not the end of the world. I'm wrong about something every day. So I notice I'm wrong and learn to do it right. 

The reality won't change just because you angrily insist you don't like the obvious facts so they are their opposite in your opinion.     

16 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Again, it doesn't translate.

There was no reason to put that sentence in brackets.

5 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Again, it doesn't translate.

Yes, it does. Is it maybe you who is using a translator? That would explain a lot. 

5 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

There was no reason to put that sentence in brackets.

Yes, there obviously was. It was slightly off topic, therefore additional comment, therefore it was logical and correct to signal its lower importance by putting it in brackets. 

So, you've finally gave up on claiming you can't understand it was written correctly, so now you'll try claiming you can't understand why an off topic remark would be of lower importance than the on topic statement? 

All in all, again, why are you doing this to yourself?  

2 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

All in all, again, why are you doing this to yourself?  

Fish feet.

2 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Yes, there obviously was. It was slightly off topic, therefore additional comment, therefore it was logical and correct to signal its lower importance by putting it in brackets. 

It didn't require being placed in brackets, don't stop trying you'll get it right eventually. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Fish feet.

Here's an article by a native English speaker, for you, just to make it extra clear that the phrase you've been so devastated with is not strange (or God forbid unintelligible) to an actual English speaker: 

https://www.elitedaily.com/life/motivation/the-20-things-you-need-to-stop-doing-to-yourself

12 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

It didn't require being placed in brackets, don't stop trying you'll get it right eventually. 

It's the author of a text who decides on importance and the ways of conveying it to the readers. Within the rules, but in accordance to own opinion, of course. 

So, let me ask you one more time - why are you doing this to yourself? 

6 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Here's an article by a native English speaker, for you, just to make it extra clear that the phrase you've been so devastated with is not strange (or God forbid unintelligible) to an actual English speaker: 

I'll read it (if i get time) in the next couple of weeks, i'm a native.

Given that this thread has descended in to bickering and no longer has anything to do with the topic, there's little point keeping this going.

Closed.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked