Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

12-foot bird lived alongside early humans

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

Almost two million years ago, giant hyenas, saber-toothed cats, and camels roamed across the European continent, perhaps sometimes clashing with a few of our early human relatives. Now, in a surprise to paleontologists, it seems these Pleistocene mammals and our hominin cousins also shared their domain with an enormous bird that was almost 12 feet tall.

The discovery, described today in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, represents the first giant flightless bird known to have lived in the Northern Hemisphere. The extinct animal, dubbed Pachystruthio dmanisensis, weighed in at a whopping 990 pounds—almost three times as much as its closest living relative, the ostrich.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/06/12-foot-bird-lived-alongside-early-human-relatives-fossils-reveal/

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
AllPossible

WOW.. That is gigantic. Probably took months of spear making to take down 1. Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stiff

One specimen was found much, much later...

Spoiler

OrganicThirdFrogmouth-size_restricted.gi

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog
Posted (edited)

Have you ever seen a chickens hunting frogs, snakes and other small critters ? I would be scared to hell to encounter such a bird.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy

Probably like the Moa,easily hunted to extinction.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Almost two million years ago, giant hyenas, saber-toothed cats, and camels roamed across the European continent, perhaps sometimes clashing with a few of our early human relatives. Now, in a surprise to paleontologists, it seems these Pleistocene mammals and our hominin cousins also shared their domain with an enormous bird that was almost 12 feet tall.

The discovery, described today in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, represents the first giant flightless bird known to have lived in the Northern Hemisphere. The extinct animal, dubbed Pachystruthio dmanisensis, weighed in at a whopping 990 pounds—almost three times as much as its closest living relative, the ostrich.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/06/12-foot-bird-lived-alongside-early-human-relatives-fossils-reveal/

Australopithecus, would have had a hard time dealing with that beast. While this branch of our family tree did apparently use primitive stone tools and hand weapons, they did not have spears at this time. I doubt they would have done much against such creature. All I can say is that's a big bird, and our humahn ancestors most likely ran when they encountered one.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Manwon Lender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TonopahRick

Where was Col. Sanders when he was needed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Australopithecus, would have had a hard time dealing with that beast. While this branch of our family tree did apparently use primitive stone tools and hand weapons, they did not have spears at this time. I doubt they would have done much against such creature. All I can say is that's a big bird, and our humahn ancestors most likely ran when they encountered one.

But Homo-Erectus made very nice spears and that's who lived there. In Europe at that time hyenas and some big cats were the biggest predators who hunted our ancestors. This thing was probably a "gentle giant".

1 hour ago, openozy said:

Probably like the Moa,easily hunted to extinction.

I think you called that one mate. Even the so called "terror birds" of North America were just seed crackers and didn't eat meat. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
7 minutes ago, Piney said:

But Homo-Erectus made very nice spears and that's who lived there.

Pffffft! Thats what the ancient aliens who actually built the spears want you to believe :D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Pffffft! Thats what the ancient aliens who actually built the spears want you to believe :D

Dick........

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
12 minutes ago, Piney said:

But Homo-Erectus made very nice spears and that's who lived there. In Europe at that time hyenas and some big cats were the biggest predators who hunted our ancestors. This thing was probably a "gentle giant".

I think you called that one mate. Even the so called "terror birds" of North America were just seed crackers and didn't eat meat. 

While the article does say Homo-Erectus, according to what you read or who you listen, may disagree with that. The oldest human remains found in Euro-Asia to date have been found in Russia and they were between 1.5 to 1.7 million years old. No human remains more than 1 million years old have been found in areas where these birds once roamed.

take care

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

While the article does say Homo-Erectus, according to what you read or who you listen, may disagree with that. The oldest human remains found in Euro-Asia to date have been found in Russia and they were between 1.5 to 1.7 million years old. No human remains more than 1 million years old have been found in areas where these birds once roamed.

take care

Yeah, I was thinking the sites in Germany were that old but you might be right. 

I'm "babysitting" a family in the city and I'm away from my library. But I'm going to take a peek when I get home next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Manwon Lender
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yeah, I was thinking the sites in Germany were that old but you might be right. 

I'm "babysitting" a family in the city and I'm away from my library. But I'm going to take a peek when I get home next week.

Yea, it's very confusing, much of what is published not completely based on fossil evidence. In addition to this things change all the time due to new fossil remains being found. Then you have Theories being presented that are sometimes quoted as fact by publishers who don't do the proper research, such as the article that was used for this thread. I have a minor in paleontology, I have always been very interested in the evolution of man, and while I try to stay up to date it's very hard.

take care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender

It appears that the oldest Proto-human remains found in Europe were found in Spain and they were between 800,000 and 1 million years old. They are calling this ancestor Homo-antecessor which is a distant relative of Homo-erects. The remains were found in a cave and consist of a jaw bone and parts of a skull.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy
1 hour ago, Piney said:

I think you called that one mate. Even the so called "terror birds" of North America were just seed crackers and didn't eat meat

Maori have big appetites,I shared a house years ago with a couple of them.Nice blokes but I reckon they could have given a bbq'd moa a good nudge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
41 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

It appears that the oldest Proto-human remains found in Europe were found in Spain and they were between 800,000 and 1 million years old. They are calling this ancestor Homo-antecessor which is a distant relative of Homo-erects. The remains were found in a cave and consist of a jaw bone and parts of a skull.

They think it was the ancestor of the Neanderthal and Denisovan. 

I think this was the step between them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxgrove_Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
46 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

It appears that the oldest Proto-human remains found in Europe were found in Spain and they were between 800,000 and 1 million years old. They are calling this ancestor Homo-antecessor which is a distant relative of Homo-erects. The remains were found in a cave and consist of a jaw bone and parts of a skull.

You might be interested in this Colonel.

I had a few of these handaxes in my collection made from Dover flint. Found them on a railroad bed because the excavator pulled up the whole site. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acheulean

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

They think it was the ancestor of the Neanderthal and Denisovan. 

I think this was the step between them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxgrove_Man

I don't know, like I said this topic is very confusing. Someone makes a find and they don't compare it its other finds. So then they think their find is unique and they name it. I would bet if many of the finds were compared they would be found to be the same.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't know, like I said this topic is very confusing. Someone makes a find and they don't compare it its other finds. So then they think their find is unique and they name it. I would bet if many of the finds were compared they would be found to be the same.

Well, they're just discovering a lot of Asian H. Erectus are actually Denisovans. But climate in the south isn't conducive to DNA so we will never know about some so called H. Erectus remains.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
6 minutes ago, Piney said:

You might be interested in this Colonel.

I had a few of these handaxes in my collection made from Dover flint. Found them on a railroad bed because the excavator pulled up the whole site. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acheulean

I also have a collection, one of these days I will post a photo of an Ax head that I found in field near Cahokia Mounds. The thing weighs almost 10 lb's, its 5inches long, 4.6 inches wide and 1.9 inches thick. It was obviously attached to a handle because you see the worn groves from the material used to attach it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Well, they're just discovering a lot of Asian H. Erectus are actually Denisovans. But climate in the south isn't conducive to DNA so we will never know about some so called H. Erectus remains.  

I totally agree!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I also have a collection, one of these days I will post a photo of an Ax head that I found in field near Cahokia Mounds. The thing weighs almost 10 lb's, its 5inches long, 4.6 inches wide and 1.9 inches thick. It was obviously attached to a handle because you see the worn groves from the material used to attach it.

Backpedal the "Lets Talk History Thread". I put pics of half a lithic workshop there.

Then there is this

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silver Surfer

3.6 metres on the moa but not the mass. Wow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.