Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA announces 'Dragonfly' mission to Titan

UM-Bot

I've been following the development of Dragonfly for a while and found the concept exciting. It also seemed rather ambitious so I thought NASA would probably not approve it, shows what I know.

• Like 5

I hope NASA is getting a Europa mission off the ground before this one. Not to downplay the interest in exploring Titan too...But C'mon...EUROPA!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

I hope NASA is getting a Europa mission off the ground before this one. Not to downplay the interest in exploring Titan too...But C'mon...EUROPA!

Launching June 2023

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/europa-clipper/ 

NASA's Europa Clipper will conduct detailed reconnaissance of Jupiter's moon Europa and investigate whether the icy moon could harbor conditions suitable for life. 
The mission will place a spacecraft in orbit around Jupiter in order to perform a detailed investigation of Europa -- a world that shows strong evidence for an ocean of liquid water beneath its icy crust and which could host conditions favorable for life. The mission will send a highly capable, radiation-tolerant spacecraft into a long, looping orbit around Jupiter to perform repeated close flybys of the icy moon. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

The concept look like it use small propellers, someone know the air pressure on Titan ??

It's very similar to outs. Somewhere between 1.16 and 1.23 times that of Earth. I cant recall. 

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Launching June 2023

Cool. I had heard of the Europa Clipper mission, but I hadn't seen a date yet. Hopefully NASA won't get a budget cut or some such nonsense anytime soon...

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Cool. I had heard of the Europa Clipper mission, but I hadn't seen a date yet. Hopefully NASA won't get a budget cut or some such nonsense anytime soon...

I'm excited for both these missions, but I this point I just want the James Webb to finally launch. 2021, I think is the planned date now.

• Like 2

That's amazing. I'm assuming this is 10+ years away? I didn't know out of the 100+ moons that Titan had an atmosphere. 

An ocean of liquid methane won't be too friendly to anything.

42 minutes ago, AllPossible said:

I'm assuming this is 10+ years away?

Launch in 2026, arrival at Titan 2034.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Seti42 said:

"All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Make no landing there ! "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010:_Odyssey_Two#Plot_summary

• Haha 2

$850 million dollars to go to Titan to try and find a new place for us humans to trash...like we've done to our earth.  That amount of money would go a  long way towards cleaning up that floating island of trash (bigger than Manhattan, I've heard) in the Pacific Ocean.  It's time we cleaned up our own world before looking for other worlds.  

8 hours ago, cathya said:

$850 million dollars to go to Titan to try and find a new place for us humans to trash...like we've done to our earth.  That amount of money would go a  long way towards cleaning up that floating island of trash (bigger than Manhattan, I've heard) in the Pacific Ocean.  It's time we cleaned up our own world before looking for other worlds.  

There's no reason humankind can't do both. Well, aside from greed and ignorance...

PS: We're not looking to 'trash' Titan (or any other body in the solar system). We're looking to learn about it.

Edited by Seti42

12 hours ago, cathya said:

Titan is already trash, or has more petrolium on and above its surface than the Sheiks on Earth will ever have, we would have a hard time trashing it.

I for one would love to see HD video or images, of a Titan shoreline with lapping small waves hitting the shoreline.

A rock saying "Kilroy Was Here" is a given.

^_^

23 hours ago, TripGun said:

Why do you think that an ocean of liquid methane would be any more "unfriendly" than an ocean of water, especially to a mission which is going to use a helicopter?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, csheff said:

This is just going to make Thanos aware of our existence.

Worse still if they spot a lizard running across the open plains, NASA personnel will be fighting the controls saying, "l want to land on it".

And by the time we hear about it, the hascam camera's will be switched off and the reports of a weird rock will surface.

And a strong orange filter of course, can't forget that.

^_^

On 6/29/2019 at 7:06 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Why do you think that an ocean of liquid methane would be any more "unfriendly" than an ocean of water, especially to a mission which is going to use a helicopter?

Are you being silly? 

On 01/07/2019 at 4:26 PM, TripGun said:

Are you being silly? 

No I'm not, are you?

Are you actually going to answer the question?

What properties of a methane ocean do you think make it, "unfriendly"?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 28.6.2019 at 6:19 PM, cathya said:

BsxQRvs.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/28/2019 at 2:07 PM, TripGun said:

Cows are no strangers to living in Methane dominated atmosphere. Maybe some little Titan cows are flourishing there.

Jokes aside, we still have a lot to learn and it was long since good update on Titan was released.

So a minimum temperature of -161.6°C to turn methane liquid and keep it there sounds like pretty sound habitat?

1 hour ago, TripGun said:

So a minimum temperature of -161.6°C to turn methane liquid and keep it there sounds like pretty sound habitat?

Avoiding the question by moving the goal posts I see.

No one mentioned habitability. No one mentioned temperature. This is a topic about a robotic helicopter mission to Titan. A mission specifically designed to operate in the temperatures found on the surface of Titan, so the issue of temperature is irrelevant.

A reminder of your comment, you said:

On 6/28/2019 at 1:07 PM, TripGun said:

The question I asked was quite simple:

On 6/29/2019 at 12:06 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Are you going to keep running away from the question or are you actually going to attempt an answer it?

• Like 1