Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA announces 'Dragonfly' mission to Titan

UM-Bot

On 6/28/2019 at 11:19 AM, cathya said:

$850 million dollars to go to Titan to try and find a new place for us humans to trash...like we've done to our earth.  That amount of money would go a  long way towards cleaning up that floating island of trash (bigger than Manhattan, I've heard) in the Pacific Ocean.  It's time we cleaned up our own world before looking for other worlds.  

Then again...perhaps that floating island of trash is the Pacific Ocean's way of cleaning itself up!  Besides...if the Almighty Media hadn't told you about the trash island...you wouldn't know anything about it.  It really isn't affecting you in any way at all is it?  

• Like 1

I don't have the interest.Tedious 

On 7/10/2019 at 6:27 AM, joc said:

Then again...perhaps that floating island of trash is the Pacific Ocean's way of cleaning itself up!  Besides...if the Almighty Media hadn't told you about the trash island...you wouldn't know anything about it.  It really isn't affecting you in any way at all is it?  

It kills marine life and gets in the food chain. It. Very much affects us all in a very real way.

3 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

It kills marine life and gets in the food chain. It. Very much affects us all in a very real way.

Marine life kills marine life.  

So we should fear the giant swirling dump in the pacific?  Which in reality...given relevant size of the pacific is like a dirt clod in the middle of the Sahara?

17 minutes ago, joc said:

Marine life kills marine life.  

So we should fear the giant swirling dump in the pacific?  Which in reality...given relevant size of the pacific is like a dirt clod in the middle of the Sahara?

I mean, yeah, if you eat seafood and you enjoy plastic and associated toxins in your diet, then by all means, don't give a **** about the environment. 80.000 tons of plastic is a little more than a dirt clod in the middle of the Sahara. If you truly don't believe that the amount of plastic in the ocean isn't an issue and doesn't affect you in any way, then i cannot even being to express how naive you're being

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I mean, yeah, if you eat seafood and you enjoy plastic and associated toxins in your diet, then by all means, don't give a **** about the environment. 80.000 tons of plastic is a little more than a dirt clod in the middle of the Sahara. If you truly don't believe that the amount of plastic in the ocean isn't an issue and doesn't affect you in any way, then i cannot even being to express how naive you're being

Hmmm...let me take a quick inventory of my immediate surroundings.  Refrigerator:  Plastic Milk Carton...Plastic...pretty much everything.  Plastic all around my house.  My toothbrush is made of plastic.  The water I take with me to work is in a plastic bottle.  Yep, pretty sure I'm going to die...from plastic.  I think Naive is a term that really cannot be used in conjunction with my mind set.  In short...the trash in the ocean isn't effecting anyone's lives.  Guess what...we are all going to die and guess what else...it isn't going to be as a result from plastic in the Pacific Ocean.  

5 hours ago, joc said:

Hmmm...let me take a quick inventory of my immediate surroundings.  Refrigerator:  Plastic Milk Carton...Plastic...pretty much everything.  Plastic all around my house.  My toothbrush is made of plastic.  The water I take with me to work is in a plastic bottle.  Yep, pretty sure I'm going to die...from plastic.  I think Naive is a term that really cannot be used in conjunction with my mind set.  In short...the trash in the ocean isn't effecting anyone's lives.  Guess what...we are all going to die and guess what else...it isn't going to be as a result from plastic in the Pacific Ocean.  

60 years ago you'd be singing the praises of DDT. Probably think asbestos is gods gift to mankind.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

60 years ago you'd be singing the praises of DDT. Probably think asbestos is gods gift to mankind.

So...are you saying that an Island of swirling trash in the Pacific Ocean is as dangerous as DDT or Asbestos? Please explain that correlation.  DDT was sprayed on people's direct properties.  Asbestos affected people who came in direct contact with it. What exactly are the dire circumstances of a dirt clod in the Pacific Ocean as it relates  to the detriment of mankind?

28 minutes ago, joc said:

So...are you saying that an Island of swirling trash in the Pacific Ocean is as dangerous as DDT or Asbestos? Please explain that correlation.  DDT was sprayed on people's direct properties.  Asbestos affected people who came in direct contact with it. What exactly are the dire circumstances of a dirt clod in the Pacific Ocean as it relates  to the detriment of mankind?

How is this so difficult for you?

Marine life eats plastic. We eat marine life that is now filled with plastic. Eating plastic is not good for you. 

9 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

How is this so difficult for you?

Marine life eats plastic. We eat marine life that is now filled with plastic. Eating plastic is not good for you. 

If you are concerned about mercury in tuna...don't eat tuna. If you are going to worry about plastic ingestion in your salmon or crab or halibut...don't eat that either. If you are concerned about pesticides on your vegetables...eat only organic.  What is all this handwringing about?  What is the solution to rid the oceans of plastic?  We live in a world of trash...we create huge landfill mountains to hold our trash.  Looks like the oceans are doing the same thing.  What are we going to do about it? 

...nothing...so it is a moot point I think.  Sad...but moot.

23 hours ago, joc said:

I`m in the opinion you didnt understood the key problem. Your refrigerator, milk cartons and all the things made out of plastic you are using, are not a problem in the first place (besides the evaporation of chemical substances such as plasticizers and other chemical agents, but thats another story). The problem comes up when plastics get wasted outside the recommended chains. Example, the 80K tons blop in the ocean. This stuff get decomposed by sunlight, see water and friction, reshaping it to micro plastic particles. These particles penetrate and pollute the food chain of sea animals, so human food will be affected as well, and thats the key problem. There is no danger that you will eat a lobster that will have a skateboard in his stomach, but micro/nano particles of it.

55 minutes ago, toast said:

I`m in the opinion you didnt understood the key problem. Your refrigerator, milk cartons and all the things made out of plastic you are using, are not a problem in the first place (besides the evaporation of chemical substances such as plasticizers and other chemical agents, but thats another story). The problem comes up when plastics get wasted outside the recommended chains. Example, the 80K tons blop in the ocean. This stuff get decomposed by sunlight, see water and friction, reshaping it to micro plastic particles. These particles penetrate and pollute the food chain of sea animals, so human food will be affected as well, and thats the key problem. There is no danger that you will eat a lobster that will have a skateboard in his stomach, but micro/nano particles of it.

And what are those micro-particles going to do to me...and are they even measurable?

• 1 year later...

On 6/28/2019 at 12:19 PM, cathya said:

$850 million dollars to go to Titan to try and find a new place for us humans to trash...like we've done to our earth.  That amount of money would go a  long way towards cleaning up that floating island of trash (bigger than Manhattan, I've heard) in the Pacific Ocean.  It's time we cleaned up our own world before looking for other worlds.  

I think this is for sure going to happen. First thing we will do is shoot down the biggest tree on the planet with heat seeking missiles, just for run. And the blue people, we we all know what happens to the blue people, I saw it in a movie already. 

On 7/13/2019 at 9:28 AM, joc said:

If you are concerned about mercury in tuna...don't eat tuna. If you are going to worry about plastic ingestion in your salmon or crab or halibut...don't eat that either. If you are concerned about pesticides on your vegetables...eat only organic.  What is all this handwringing about?  What is the solution to rid the oceans of plastic?  We live in a world of trash...we create huge landfill mountains to hold our trash.  Looks like the oceans are doing the same thing.  What are we going to do about it? 

...nothing...so it is a moot point I think.  Sad...but moot.

Wait until the people freaking out over the plastic finds out that all that plastic stuff is made from fossil fuels, then the real freak out will start.

• Haha 1