Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Atlantis Research Charter

Polar

1 minute ago, Hanslune said:

I certainly hope so. lol

One of the political sub-forum trolls popping in and not reading. 

I already bit the dick on his ass with your background about it. 

Of course Rupert poked me with a cattle prod. :o

2 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Bought it from the Smithsonian eh?

Swede ran out of room. :o

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Piney said:

One of the political sub-forum trolls popping in and not reading. 

I already bit the dick on his ass with your background about it. 

Yes, thanks, no one every called me a 'International archaeologist', before - truly a lofty title for a MA level degree fellow who shovel bummed off and on for a couple of decades in the Middle East and elsewhere!

I feel downright Imperial and have  an urge to wear a leather jacket, a cool hat and sport a sub-machine gun (no whip or pistol for me). Actually once used an old WWII Enfield to shoot some goats that were damaging a site in Cyprus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

Swede ran out of room. :o

It's ok I know where he went. I'm buying a Solutrean skeleton whisked away from the meadowcroft rock shelter that would have upset Hrslickas timeline worse than Folsom or Clovis did.

Edited by Jarocal
Vyse and red paint equals khufus pyramid.
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hanslune said:

Actually once used an old WWII Enfield to shoot some goats that were damaging a site in Cyprus.

My weapon of choice outriding for all those ranches as a youngin was a Wnchester made 1917 Enfield with a shortened 4 groove Hastings barrel and a Secodine thumb through stock. Or my grandfathers General Motors 1942 M1 carbine. 

1 minute ago, Jarocal said:

It's ok. I'm buying a Solutrean skeleton whisked away from the meadowcroft rock shelter that would have upset Hrslickas timeline worse than Folsom or Clovis did.

From Dennis Stanford? 

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Lucky you

Last time I was late bringing him his sacrifice he went after me with this drill:

cropped-mobile-miner-for-rio-tinto.jpg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

My weapon of choice outriding for all those ranches as a youngin was a Wnchester made 1917 Enfield with a shortened 4 groove Hastings barrel and a Secodine thumb through stock. Or my grandfathers General Motors 1942 M1 carbine. 

Well the only ammo we could find for that old rifle (Cyprus had strong anti-gun laws due to the rebellion and Turkish invasion) was purple tipped - turned out to be armor piercing - quite the kick!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

would have upset Hrslickas

It was a South Jersey Quaker, Charles Conrad Abbott that really upset him.

Then Abbott wrote bad poetry mocking him and sent it to Smithsonian.

13 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Yes, thanks, no one every called me a 'International archaeologist', before - truly a lofty title for a MA level degree fellow who shovel bummed off and on for a couple of decades in the Middle East and elsewhere!

I feel downright Imperial and have  an urge to wear a leather jacket, a cool hat and sport a sub-machine gun (no whip or pistol for me). Actually once used an old WWII Enfield to shoot some goats that were damaging a site in Cyprus.

I have a pair of ww2 era 7 Enfield rifles. They are really underrated in my opinion. Still shoot my 1863 trapdoor 45-70 more than them but They are solid rifles

Edited by Jarocal
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Well the only ammo we could find for that old rifle (Cyprus had strong anti-gun laws due to the rebellion and Turkish invasion) was purple tipped - turned out to be armor piercing - quite the kick!

Green tip is generally amour piercing.

I tore up the barrel of my cadet issue Garand making fancy light shows at night with orange tips. 

1 minute ago, Jarocal said:

1863 trapdoor 45-70 

pfft! 

I can catch their bullets with leather jacket. My Browning bow has more velocity. :lol:

Just now, Piney said:

Green tip is generally amour piercing.

I tore up the barrel of my cadet issue Garand making fancy light shows at night with orange tips. 

I sold my garand I got off of cmp for $1200 more than I bought it for (15 years ago). Then I went on the cmp site and saw what they sell for now...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

pfft! 

I can catch their bullets with leather jacket. My Browning bow has more velocity. :lol:

Your Browning bow probably has more velocity than any of my Flintlock rifles too. But as I get older the Ar collects dust and I spend more time dressing flints.

Edit to add- Freaked the landlord out last year making black powder for the muzzleloader...

Edited by Jarocal
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

I sold my garand I got off of cmp for $1200 more than I bought it for (15 years ago). Then I went on the cmp site and saw what they sell for now...

I sold my International Harvester Garand which I bought still in the Cosmonline from CMP for 500 bucks. Sucker's worth 3 thousand now.

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I sold my International Harvester Garand which I bought still in the Cosmonline from CMP for 500 bucks. Sucker's worth 3 thousand now.

Ouch. If mine was an IH I may not have sold it. Out of all my guns the only one "not for sale" is a Spanish Arms made 12 gauge over/under that was my grandfathers father day present I paid for but my grandmother technically bought (I was 13). Came to me when he passed 12 years ago. I use it more for small game/ upland birds than others I have that are considered "better made". Our first trip out with it he shot doubles on a pair of grouse before I even got my gun up...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, atalante said:

If I recall corectly, Argar "A" society ended at the time of a strong earthquake near Lorca, Spain ca. 1550 BC.  Argar society was centered on the Guadalenten river (an Arabic name that means "river of mud or sludge"), which flows into the Mediterranean sea.  (The Guadalenten river flows into the Segura river, as shown on the following map.)171862_understanding-the-drought-in-murc

The Argar "A" society had been a powerful militant society (ca. 2200 BC to 1550 BC), with connections to Minoan Crete. https://minoanatlantis.com/Minoan_Spain.php

But the Argar "B" was a weaker society, presumably without support from Crete.  

Right atlante  there were records of many storm earthquakes, that killed so many people at that time .The earth quake in Spain  But what happen to Atlantis? could it be a city in Spain that was buried under another city rebuilt? its still gets me that's  that city of  Atlantis  was described they had  pinnacles,that never existed 10,000 years ago.

Plato

All the outside of the temple, with the exception of the pinnacles, they covered with silver, and the pinnacles with gold.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

Edited by docyabut2

2 hours ago, atalante said:

Kenemet,

I agree that the Guadalquivir river basin did not export Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles, ca, 2500 BC. 

A lot of the exported output of this region was mineral (similar to what the Critias dialogue states).   Nearby, there is spectacular mineral region, called the Iberian Pyrite Belt, which has been exporting huge amounts of minerals for the last 5000 years.   https://www.proexmin.com/trip-reports/iberian-pyrite-belt/

Bell Beaker culture established its headquarters (i.e. the chalcolithic Villa Nova San Pedro culture) on the "northwest side" of the Iberian Pyrite Belt, and exported Bell Beaker copper items to the north, by means of roving peddlers.   But during 2800-2200 BC, exports to the "eastern side" of the IBP were dominated by a powerful chalcolithic Los Millares culture.   

How would Plato have learned about them?  They didn't exist anywhere near Greece, nor were they wiped out in a single instance.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Right atlante  there were records of many storm earthquakes, that killed so many people at that time .The earth quake in Spain  But what happen to Atlantis? could it be a city in Spain that was buried under another city rebuilt? its still gets me that's  that city of  Atlantis  was described they had  pinnacles,that never existed 10,000 years ago.

Plato

All the outside of the temple, with the exception of the pinnacles, they covered with silver, and the pinnacles with gold.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

th?id=OIP.T-ZPTQwluz5rwNT20BMI8gHaE2&pidhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle

A pinnacle is an architectural ornament originally forming the cap or crown of a buttress or small turret, but afterwards used on parapets at the corners of towers

there  was a painting of a lost city  in Rome  of pinnacles

r_botfresco73.jpg?w=477

Edited by docyabut2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Kenemet said:
2 hours ago, atalante said:

Bell Beaker culture established its headquarters (i.e. the chalcolithic Villa Nova San Pedro culture) on the "northwest side" of the Iberian Pyrite Belt, and exported Bell Beaker copper items to the north, by means of roving peddlers.   But during 2800-2200 BC, exports to the "eastern side" of the IBP were dominated by a powerful chalcolithic Los Millares culture.   

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Phoenicians control the Pyrite Belt during Plato's time? 

3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Nevertheless, Tateopa, it was a work of fiction. 

Just like Plato's parable of Atlantis. 

If you believe in the real existence of Atlantis, then you must believe in Mordor. Or Earthsea. Or Tatooine. 

Tolkien had a couple of thousand years of Northern European folklore to draw upon.  Elves are mentioned but mysterious in sagas, dwarves, those subterranean, ill tempered  but magnificent craftsmen  appear sometimes. 

Dragons are there as well as magic swords. SIgurd's sword Gram was even broken.  The pieces saved by Borghild for her future son were reforged by Regin the dwarf.  Sound familiar?

If I get the drift of our classical scholar friends, none of that background for Atlantis existed before Plato.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Except your preaching to the choir. :rolleyes:

Choirs are notorious for going to sleep during sermons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Tolkien had a couple of thousand years of Northern European folklore to draw upon.  Elves are mentioned but mysterious in sagas, dwarves, those subterranean, ill tempered  but magnificent craftsmen  appear sometimes. 

Dragons are there as well as magic swords. SIgurd's sword Gram was even broken.  The pieces saved by Borghild for her future son were reforged by Regin the dwarf.  Sound familiar?

If I get the drift of our classical scholar friends, none of that background for Atlantis existed before Plato.

gee nothing of all that Mordor. Or Earthsea. Or Tatooine  has any thing to do with Plato`s story :(

1 hour ago, Piney said:

pfft! 

My great uncle tried that with bird shot.   The leather jacket stopped all but one.  That one was too high.  Went through his cheek but missed the teeth he had left.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

gee nothing of all that Mordor. Or Earthsea. Or Tatooine  has any thing to do with Plato`s story :(

Right you are. Even our scholarly thread mates are sometimes carried away by a fit of frivolity. 

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

its still gets me that's  that city of  Atlantis  was described they had  pinnacles,that never existed 10,000 years ago.

Plato

Docy, how could Plato describe a pinnacle if it had not existed?  He would have just called it a "pointy roof thing"  I think pinnacle first referred to a high pointed piece of rock.

• Like 2