Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How life began

eight bits

12 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Jack Szostak of Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital has spent much of this century so far working on how the earliest chemical systems capable of participating in Darwinian evolution might have formed naturally on Earth. His work and career are profiled this month in the Harvard alumni magazine.

https://harvardmagazine.com/2019/07/origin-life-earth

First life remains an open problem, but progress has been made. Of the various possibilities under active investigation, Szostak favors the "something like RNA surrounded by a membrane" hypothesis. None of the serious contenders resembles the God-squad meme about how a vat of chemicals had to form up spontaneously to become a passenger jet, therefore godidit.

It is an interesting article thanks sharing. However, there is another possibility that was not mentioned, there is also a possibility life was brought from space. A great deal of our water came from collisions between the earth, comets and meteors. It is possible that the planet was seeded by these collisions and only waited for the proper time to burst forth. So just maybe we did come from the great beyond.

thanks for sharing

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Boy, that didn't take long, the god botherers get bludgeoned within two short paragraphs !  I'm sure if I throw enough  bowls of primeval alphabet soup up in the air, one will come down and spell "goddidit" ! :w00t: 

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Is there an award for people that make stupid ass comments in the first 3 posts?

jmccr8

Anyone we know, jmccr ?

• Haha 1

Yes, yes, and yes, as to the three great mysteries. The great busy bees regulars will now entertain us with their not-God, brilliant and beyond a shadow of a doubt evidence of a self made everything.

I can't begin knowing how it all began, but then I know it's growing strong. God's hand touched everything, and it was so!

The waters were rough today due to stronger winds, and therefore spent sometime viewing the great discussions, and great battles of wits, instead of watching all those beautiful people at the beach.

52 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Show us on the doll where God touched you.

You can be a funny man !

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 4:56 AM, eight bits said:

First life remains an open problem, but progress has been made. Of the various possibilities under active investigation, Szostak favors the "something like RNA surrounded by a membrane" hypothesis.

First, I know my grasp of science isn’t the best. But, I feel for me, in the end, it’s what explains the story. :D  

If I am understanding the article you posted, this bit: 

Despite some theories that early life arose near hydrothermal vents in the deep ocean, Szostak is more convinced by research showing that the earliest cells developed on land in ponds or pools, possibly in volcanically active regions. Ultraviolet light and lightning strikes could have helped convert molecules in the atmosphere into cyanide and other useful materials to generate the building blocks of life. The shallow water would give those materials a place to accumulate at high concentrations, and volcanic activity could create hot and cold temperature fluctuations helpful for certain chemical reactions.

I would think, this makes sense to me. :yes:  I always fell, that a lot of our parts are remains of situations and a long long trek in providing biologically for ourselves to cope and survive. I think about stagnant little pools of still water here and there, and know there is a lot ‘forming’ in there to know, it’s not as pure as maybe running river water would be. 

None of the serious contenders resembles the God-squad meme about how a vat of chemicals had to form up spontaneously to become a passenger jet, therefore godidit.

Much that I believe, that if there is a higher power and go with the ‘maybe’ thought of that power not wanting any thought of making an appearance here and there through out the years, What was brought forth in science and investigating, cannot be passed over for that mere thought of definitely and objectively being a higher power. 

I can deal with that. :)  ;)  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Yes, yes, and yes, as to the three great mysteries. The great busy bees regulars will now entertain us with their not-God, brilliant and beyond a shadow of a doubt evidence of a self made everything.

I can't begin knowing how it all began, but then I know it's growing strong. God's hand touched everything, and it was so!

So where’s your linked article that talked about the probability of it happening, through their own work of re-piecing and investigating the probabilities of it happening from that? 

I think, the art of re-creating, re-piecing, and building the environment of something, seems to be a great way of figuring out logically how something occurred. You just might show links to articles that have the anti-god didn’t do it folks show their own work of such. But, is it to the point that it realistically and logically shows there is definitely a link from the re-creation of an environment that proves realistically it came from an unseen higher power? And I ask this because, like I pointed out in my previous post, despite that I might still believe in a higher power, I can’t show it as an objective reason, only a subjective one. I have come to the conclusion eons ago, that what science shows, seems to trump what is thought of as only ‘it has to be’ and that being the only answer. 

This line here in the post I quoted: 

I can't begin knowing how it all began, but then I know it's growing strong.

Seems to me, like it kind of doesn’t make sense. :huh:  

So, what is growing strong, is your thought of not knowing how it all began?  Am I understanding that is your point? 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Seems to me, like it kind of doesn’t make sense. :huh:  

So, what is growing strong, is your thought of not knowing how it all began?  Am I understanding that is your point? 

Sweet Caroline. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

How to make points around here? Cater to the populars and one will accumulate plenty of points.

How does one go about to show the hand of God to a one cell life form? Pretty much the same simile for showing the hand of God to the one human with the highest IQ possible. Where does it leave all those lesser scoring ones? Why in that specualtive pool where life has not even formed yet!

Let science create life from all the known elements, or any combinations thereof, using all the known technology and I will bend my knees and worship science till there is no tomorrow.

Notice that I'm giving science much of everything to work with, whereas God created all from nothing.

9 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

How to make points around here? Cater to the populars and one will accumulate plenty of points.

Nah, that's maybe how to get likes, not how to make points.  Making points is straightforward:  state proposition and provide evidence and argument why it is true.  

18 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

How does one go about to show the hand of God to a one cell life form? 

Don't know, that would be an issue for your position, not others.  If we can't comprehend God even to the extent where we can recognize his hand at work, then how can you have any basis (other than wanting it to be true) for even believing in it?

• Like 8

While it is true that we don’t know where life came from, there is one thing we know about life.  We have it.

Sometimes that is a very good thing.....other times it’s a raging biotch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/1/2019 at 5:16 AM, Manwon Lender said:

It is an interesting article thanks sharing. However, there is another possibility that was not mentioned, there is also a possibility life was brought from space. A great deal of our water came from collisions between the earth, comets and meteors. It is possible that the planet was seeded by these collisions and only waited for the proper time to burst forth. So just maybe we did come from the great beyond.

thanks for sharing

Here's a start sir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tholin

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Guyver said:

While it is true that we don’t know where life came from, there is one thing we know about life.  We have it.

Are we really alive or are we just a complex chemical reaction that thinks it is alive? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Are we really alive or are we just a complex chemical reaction that thinks it is alive? 

Well all I know is my mammy and daddy had cuddles, and nine months later I escaped. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Well all I know is my mammy and daddy had cuddles, and nine months later I escaped. 

I often wonder if we're a microbe that built a better body. 

• Like 4

On 7/1/2019 at 2:16 AM, Manwon Lender said:

t is an interesting article thanks sharing. However, there is another possibility that was not mentioned, there is also a possibility life was brought from space. A great deal of our water came from collisions between the earth, comets and meteors. It is possible that the planet was seeded by these collisions and only waited for the proper time to burst forth. So just maybe we did come from the great beyond.

Indeed, maybe so.  In a way that just kicks the can up the road a little further.  How and where did that life start? On a planet, in a gas and dust disk before planets formed, in an interstellar nebula away from a star?  All interesting ideas.  Maybe all possibilities.

Lots of fun questions to explore.  Here is the question the author has been exploring.  If we could start life on earth knowing what we do about chemistry, physics,  the earth's formation and history, how would we do it?

Maybe multiple answers to all of those questions.

Edited by Tatetopa
misspelled dust, oh my. "My mind is going Dave, I can feel it."
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I often wonder if we're a microbe that built a better body. 

Apes that past the first Filter and discovered fire.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

We are really alive, and we know this because one day we will really die.  :]

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Guyver said:

We are really alive, and we know this because one day we will really die.  :]

Just because we are animated doesn't mean life. If that's the case then my truck is 'alive'. 

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Just because we are animated doesn't mean life. If that's the case then my truck is 'alive'. 

We start going down the rabbit hole of what defines life, we'd never get out of it. 

• Like 4

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked