Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How should we respond to alien contact?

Still Waters

Scientists wrestling with the delicate issue of how to respond should humanity ever be contacted by an alien civilisation have hit on a radical idea: a survey that asks what the public would do.

Members of the UK Seti Research Network (UKSRN) are to launch what they believe will be the largest ever survey of public attitudes towards alien contact on Monday at the Royal Society’s summer science exhibition.

The views they gather will help them shape plans for an international protocol that sets the ground rules on how organisations should share news of any signals that are detected; what sense can be made of them; and how, if at all, humans might reply.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jul/01/do-you-think-that-there-is-alien-life-beyond-earth-first-contact

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I mean they say math is the universal language. We could start there i guess.

"Later this year, an organisation called Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligence (Meti) International plans to beam signals into space containing references to the periodic table of elements."

Edited by Ironside
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Minimalists said:

A big spotlight in the sky in the image of a Big Mac...

That would certainly attract me.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I suggest we, the world, send out the Gay Pride people to greet them, just to be safe.... 

~

Goodness me, the PC police will be on the case here !

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Habitat said:

As usual, everything just whooshed over your sense of irony... 

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Whatever we do, do not nod, do not wave you hand, do not agree to anything!   Or we'll all be burdened with a 100 volume history of the movement of asteroids in the lesser dustfields of the outer Novostrycium system. At the bargain price of 3 middle size stars each.

• Haha 3

Should aliens arrive I would hide and wait to see if they are friendly or hostile. Then...

If they are hostile note if they are wiping us out or establishing their rule over us. If its the former I would become a man of the wild. If its the latter I would become a willing and loyal slave to my new masters to ensure I am on the survival list. All hail our new alien overlords!

If they are friendly then great.

• Like 3

The best thing to do is not let religious leaders, business leaders, or military leaders make any kind of important decision regarding first contact.

Leave it up to scientists, diplomats, and artists. You know, our best humans.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

And don't let them sell you a book entitled "To Serve Man"

Edited by Mr Guitar
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Mr Guitar said:

And don't let them sell you a book entitled "To Serve Man"

Especially if it's a cookbook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Habitat said:

More like Elton John will be,

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

I didn't get the irony either. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Especially if it's a cookbook.

It is a cookbook.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

I suggest we, the world, send out the Gay Grey Pride people to greet them, just to be safe...

Just a little touch up...

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It is a cookbook.

Don't buy it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I didn't get the irony either. 

Nahhh, the irony got the better of you, think parade, not orientation... 

~

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

Jesu Sofu! You know Americans don't speak Asian Sarcasm! They have a hard enough time with the English! :o

• Haha 6

Before or after we collectively panic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Still Waters said:

I agree with Dr. Hawking, I don't think we should be trying to contact any advanced civilisations. I beleive that it will end up, like it has here on Earth. The advanced civilisation will most likely enslave or destroy the indigenous population. I think we should hope that our planet is not discovered before we are ready to properly defend ourselves.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I agree with Dr. Hawking, I don't think we should be trying to contact any advanced civilisations. I beleive that it will end up, like it has here on Earth. The advanced civilisation will most likely enslave or destroy the indigenous population. I think we should hope that our planet is not discovered before we are ready to properly defend ourselves.

Maybe i am naive but i'd like to think any hyper-intelligent life has passed the need for conquest and violence and perhaps has a higher degree of empathy. If we take every example of nature though its a cell eat cell, dog eat dog world. We can only assume that this trait is universal :(

Edited by Ironside
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ironside said:

Maybe i am naive but i'd like to think any hyper-intelligent life has passed the need for conquest and violence and perhaps has a higher degree of empathy. If we take every example of nature though its a cell eat cell, dog eat dog world. We can only assume that this trait is universal :(

All I can say is I hope your right, because the alternative is is pretty bleak. I think race had the ability to cross light years of space and they find us here on planet Earth. We are going to look very primitive to them, so it can only go two ways and your way would be a lot better.

take care

• Like 2

What use would an alien species capable of interstellar travel have with Earth?   Firstly, even if they come from a planet fundamentally similar to our own, it will still have different gravity, different trace elements essential to life, different atmosphere, different levels of radiation.  And different viruses.  Anything they can get from Earth (whether it be resources or somewhere to live) could be found on many other planets that are not inhabited by a technological species.  They may be curious, and wish to observe us.  Or they may wish to "uplift" us to a higher level of technology.  There's no logical reason for them to wish us harm - unless planets like Earth are very rare and they are very desperate to find an Earth-like planet to "terraform" to their own requirements to inhabit.

Unless they need to build a hyperspace bypass and Earth is in the way, or they have major issues concerning the possibility we may discover the question to life, the universe and everything, they should, logically, come in peace.

The only other possibility I can think is they they may be obsessive religious nutters determined to convert all life in the universe the the worship of 'dGud yMth the true creator of the universe, who requires absolute obedience, the building of a 12 mile high temple of gold, and the sacrifice of all first born life on the 2nd day of the 4th month of each planetary year, else the universe will be totally and utterly destroyed.  Which, is, I suppose, not entirely to be ruled out.

• Like 2