Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hong Kong Protests [merged]

Daughter of the Nine Moons

Hong Kong protesters stormed the Legislative Council on the anniversary of the city’s 1997 return to Chinese rule on Monday amid widespread anger over laws that would allow extraditions to China, plunging the city deeper into chaos.

A small group, mostly students wearing hard hats and masks, used a metal trolley, poles and pieces of scaffolding to hack through reinforced glass and charge at the government compound.

Some protesters entered the building but it was unclear how many were still inside.

The protesters, some with cling film wrapped around their arms to protect their skin in the event of tear gas, once again paralyzed parts of the Asian financial hub as they occupied roads after blocking them off with metal barriers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stupid...  they just trapped themselves with a bad move... 

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Stupid...  they just trapped themselves with a bad move... 

~

"Protests never work. The people who yell the loudest and commit violence and......*forgot the English word*....we'll say "delinquency" are the easiest to ignore or wind up making themselves look bad. We must construct a way to quietly change things that need changing for the greater good". 

Teaching of the Byodo-In

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kartikg said:

Will be fun to watch China crush these protests and Hong Kong as whole. 

Fun???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, kartikg said:

:huh: 

Like this kind of fun?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Piney said:

"Protests never work. The people who yell the loudest and commit violence and......*forgot the English word*....we'll say "delinquency" are the easiest to ignore or wind up making themselves look bad. We must construct a way to quietly change things that need changing for the greater good". 

Can't find the exact quote but, "the history of civil rights is replete with protesters being polite and obedient and 'civil', and accomplishing absolutely nothing".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Can't find the exact quote but, "the history of civil rights is replete with protesters being polite and obedient and 'civil', and accomplishing absolutely nothing".

The old school Quaker Vietnam War protests when they silently walked down the road with the vets never even caught the media. Just the asshats acting like idiots and spitting on the vets. 

Edited by Piney
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

:huh: 

My thoughts exactly......

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Piney said:

Teaching of the Byodo-In

Well it was student protests that ultimately ended the Vietnam War. Not only did they help to change national opinion, but one particular protest where students started destroying a university at a time when the protests were getting out of control - making it clear that things were uncontrollable - led to an adviser of the President saying something along the lines of 'You can have the War or you can have the country, but you can't have both'. He chose to leave Vietnam.

There are countless examples of protests, violent and peaceful, effectively changing a helluva lot.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

The old school Quaker Vietnam War protests when they silently walked down the road with the vets never even caught the media. Just the asshats acting like idiots and spitting on the vets. 

Sure, I guess I was referring to other protesters who were not obvious asshats but used 'violence' or law-breaking in their protests:  gays, blacks, suffragists, abolitionists, hell even some in the temperance movement in the US all did not politely behave in their efforts to get what they want.  I think all civil rights movements usually start peacefully, accomplish little to nothing, and then let loose when people finally have just had it.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

suffragists,

Some English ones were outright terrorists. 

A million protesters marched in NYC against the pending invasion of Iraq.  The media ignored them, and so did the Bush administration.

The French protests throughout the country have been going on now for over thirty consecutive weeks, with some hair-raising repression from the French riot police including rubber bullets, tear gas, pepper spray, and bludgeoning...with many injuries and arrests.  The American media has, again, ignored it.

But in Hong Kong, the American media engage in full coverage.  We may ask ourselves why the difference.

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Teaching of the Byodo-In

Now all Mainland China gotta do is sit back and let HK law enforcement clean up the mess. 

I guess the protesters found out the hard way that no one at the G20 cared enough to for their nonsense. 

~

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Well it was student protests that ultimately ended the Vietnam War. Not only did they help to change national opinion, but one particular protest where students started destroying a university at a time when the protests were getting out of control - making it clear that things were uncontrollable - led to an adviser of the President saying something along the lines of 'You can have the War or you can have the country, but you can't have both'. He chose to leave Vietnam.

There are countless examples of protests, violent and peaceful, effectively changing a helluva lot.

It had to do with public opinion in general. I remember that war. Remember people talking about it. I had 2 uncles ( One killed himself after Agent Orange chewed him up. The other just killed himself) and my mother's husband fought in that war. I had many friends and many of my Officer-liasons in the CAP fought in that war.

It came down to if a politician supported that war. They got voted out. Even on a local level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

But in Hong Kong, the American media engage in full coverage.  We may ask ourselves why the difference.

Anti-Chinese dreck. 

• Like 2

They are out flying the British colonial flag right now.

Guess they didnt like being under our rule, but now they have been left to it for a while they regret our departure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

They are out flying the British colonial flag right now.

Guess they didnt like being under our rule, but now they have been left to it for a while they regret our departure.

You're wrong.  I know people from Hong Kong that moved to England and to the USA because they saw the writing on the wall with the agreed on handover from England to China.  What a crime against humanity it was by England to agree to turn an entire population over to a fascist government.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

What a crime against humanity it was by England to agree to turn an entire population over to a fascist government.

The UK did not have much choice, it had a lease on Hong Kong which expired in 1997. The UK did try and protect citizens rights by changing laws but some changes were blocked by China.

One of the last things the UK did was to build, despite Beijing protests, a new airport and cargo terminal which reduced the need for locals to go through China to access the territory. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The UK did not have much choice, it had a lease on Hong Kong which expired in 1997. The UK did try and protect citizens rights by changing laws but some changes were blocked by China.

One of the last things the UK did was to build, despite Beijing protests, a new airport and cargo terminal which reduced the need for locals to go through China to access the territory. 

Should never had agreed that Hong Kong belonged to China in the first place.  Same with Taiwan.  The answer should have been it's up to the people that live there (all of whom fled the bloody communist regime) if they are willing to be governed by China.  The answer, had it been asked would have been a resounding NO, I'm quite sure.

Listening to protesters on the news today, they sound like they are at the end of their rope with nothing left to lose.  They expect Chinese troops from the barracks there will be mobilized, but they are not going back.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, kartikg said:

Will it be fun if it happens to you?

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Listening to protesters on the news today, they sound like they are at the end of their rope with nothing left to lose.  They expect Chinese troops from the barracks there will be mobilized, but they are not going back.

I'm not sure China will go all Tiananmen on them yet.  They'd have a lot to lose if they butchered them publicly.  This legislation is probably just a first shot to get their attention.  Then again, the leaders in China might have put themselves in a corner they have to fight their way out of.  Crushing a rebellion in HK would heavily damage its utility to them.

• Like 2

They did things peacefully with Tinenmen square and we saw how that worked out.

I don't China gives a crap how they protest , either way they will refuse it with an iron fist.

I feel for the Hong Kongers. They are very brave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to Hong Kong Protests [merged]