Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nike nixes shoes after Kaepernick pipes up

OverSword

It will not let me copy from the page so here is the gist.  Nike was going to release a model of patriotic shoes featuring the 13 starred flag designed by Betsy Ross but Colin Kaepernick spoke up telling the company it should not release shoes that he and other are offended by, and Nike canceled them. LINK

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Who is Colin Kaepernick?  I thought Nike were chinese shoes.

• Haha 5

I looked him up.  Oh brother, a football player.  I guess Nike wants to make shoes he will buy.  They could have made a lot of money selling those shoes and the fact that there is a picture means they already went in to production.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

It will not let me copy from the page so here is the gist.  Nike was going to release a model of patriotic shoes featuring the 13 starred flag designed by Betsy Ross but Colin Kaepernick spoke up telling the company it should not release shoes that he and other are offended by, and Nike canceled them. LINK

I''l pay for Colin's plane ticket to Sierra Leone or Liberia as long as he stays there. :yes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The more I think about this, the more I think this is fake news.  Why would multi-billion company not sell shoes they have produced based on one disgruntled U.S. football player?  It makes no sense.

• Like 1

This was swift...

Governor Ducey to withdraw AZ Nike plant incentives amid Betsy Ross-Colin Kaepernick controversy

In a series of tweets early Tuesday, Arizona Governor Doug Ducey announced that he has ordered the Arizona Commerce Authority to withdraw all financial incentive dollars to encourage Nike to add a manufacturing plant in the Valley.

Ducey's decision stems from a Wall Street Journal report that said former NFL quarterback-turned-social justice activist Colin Kaepernick convinced Nike to pull its sneakers featuring an early American flagcommonly known as the Betsy Ross flag. Kaepernick reportedly found the shoe to be offensive.

https://www.abc15.com/sports/governor-ducey-to-withdraw-nike-az-plant-incentives-amid-betsy-ross-colin-kaepernick-controversy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I seriously despise that man! Shut up and move to freaking Canada! No one wants you here anyway!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

good move on AZ part, but nike will only get more incentives now in blue states, i have no doubt our mayor and AOc will give them  more incentives than they planned to give amazon.  and then will claim they created 500 (low paying low skill, that will prbly hire illegals just in spite ) jobs,  good trade for thousands of high paying jobs they killed,

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Something else has to be going on.  Maybe ABC news has set Colin up to be the most hated person in the U.S. to get our minds off of politics and let Congress steal some more of our money and rights.  I want Nike to tell me they let Colin decide for them.

• Like 1

Nike Pulls Shoes Featuring Betsy Ross Flag Over Concerns About Racist Symbolism

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/02/737977542/nike-pulls-shoes-featuring-betsy-ross-flag-over-concerns-about-racist-symbolism

If the Betsy Ross flag is racist symbolism I think I have somehow fallen through one of those mythical alternate universe portals.  How stupid can people be?  Stupid to fall for this tripe and stupid to allow being manipulated by corporate media.  It is a distraction.   Lets just believe every stupid thing we read on the internet.

Legislative activities

Yesterday

http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx?day=20190628

Considered by unanimous consent.

S. 2047 — "To provide for a 2-week extension of the Medicaid community mental health services demonstration program, and for other purposes."

Today

http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx 

• Like 3

doubt that,  this will not make anymore people hate him, people who already hate him, will continue to do so, those who loves him will only love him more now,

And we waste time talking about him and nike and Arizona.  :lol:

• Haha 2

it is not the first time  nike trys to change american values, twist history.  and split people, for years they constantly push racial division, they are destroying america,  i think they need to be banned in usa, i'm sure north korea and iran will gladly accept them, and they will love every anti american crap they pull

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

If the Betsy Ross flag is racist symbolism I think I have somehow fallen through one of those mythical alternate universe portals.  How stupid can people be?  Stupid to fall for this tripe and stupid to allow being manipulated by corporate media.  It is a distraction.   Lets just believe every stupid thing we read on the internet.

People can be pretty stupid.  It may be a distraction to you but it's real news.  Kaepernick is the guy who single-handedly ruined football for millions of fans by protesting the National Anthem.  Now he's protesting flags on shoes and I think there have been a few similar things in between.  The article said that some people consider this particular version of the flag to be racist.  Never mind the millions who may see it as historic and patriotic, that's the world we're living in today.  One offended person's opinion outweighs yours, mine and millions of others.  Even our laws.  There was a recent story about somewhere in San Francisco that will be spending $600,000 dollars to remove or cover up a mural of George Washington because someone or some group found it offensive.  Nothing is sacred anymore and if it was, someone would be offended by that.  The people behind this won't be satisfied until the whole country is sterilized of anything that offends them, and they must lie awake at night dreaming up new things to be offended by.  The fact that their actions offend millions of decent, right thinking people is not up for consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

so lets use same tactic against the left, lets be offended about everything left does or says and lets be very loud about it

8 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

People can be pretty stupid.  It may be a distraction to you but it's real news.  Kaepernick is the guy who single-handedly ruined football for millions of fans by protesting the National Anthem.  Now he's protesting flags on shoes and I think there have been a few similar things in between.  The article said that some people consider this particular version of the flag to be racist.  Never mind the millions who may see it as historic and patriotic, that's the world we're living in today.  One offended person's opinion outweighs yours, mine and millions of others.  Even our laws.  There was a recent story about somewhere in San Francisco that will be spending $600,000 dollars to remove or cover up a mural of George Washington because someone or some group found it offensive.  Nothing is sacred anymore and if it was, someone would be offended by that.  The people behind this won't be satisfied until the whole country is sterilized of anything that offends them, and they must lie awake at night dreaming up new things to be offended by.  The fact that their actions offend millions of decent, right thinking people is not up for consideration.

It is as rational as a man named Niedermeir on the Donahue show proclaiming that all people with aftrican ancestry should be put on a boat and sent back to Africa, and Phil's response was "You have a good german name are you going to take everyone with a german name back to germany with you?"

I quote but I don't remember his exact words.  So anyone can choose to be offended by anything.  We need to quit acting like kindergartners and get a grip.  The corporations and politicians love for us to go off like this emotionally unstable and irrational (both sides of the fence) so that they can get away with illegal crap without being noticed.  So, what some of the football players want to use the attention they always get to bring a subject up that they think is important to them.  That is their right just like it is for any of us.  The way they did it was fine as far as I am concerned.  There is no law that we have to stand with our hands on our hearts when the national anthem is played but I don't see a big ruckus over people who just sit while it is being played so kneeling is more respectful anyway, you kneel when you pray, you kneel before the king, it is a sign of respect and it got a lot of attention.    It is idiotic for nike to worry about making offense, which I am sure they are not, they are more worried about their bottom line and the next new product.  And it is idiotic for some people to be angry because a football player has an opinion. 

How do you feel about the rebel flag?????  Is it the same?  It is if you think it should be banned.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, aztek said:

it is not the first time  nike trys to change american values, twist history.  and split people, for years they constantly push racial division, they are destroying america,  i think they need to be banned in usa, i'm sure north korea and iran will gladly accept them, and they will love every anti american crap they pull

My next pair of running shoes will be New Balance for sure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aztek said:

so lets use same tactic against the left, lets be offended about everything left does or says and lets be very loud about it

That won't happen because conservative people tend to be more reasonable and want others to just live their lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That won't happen because conservative people tend to be more reasonable and want others to just live their lives.

well we're gonna have to change if we want our way of life to remain

11 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

Kaepernick is the guy who single-handedly ruined football for millions of fans by protesting the National Anthem

If that's all it took to 'ruin' football for some ultra-sensitive pseudo-patriots they weren't much in the way of 'fans' to begin with.  Perhaps the problem is people's wedding, well, anything having to do with patriotism, let alone something supposedly 'sacred', to profit-driven entertainment which is what professional sports are.  I've yet to go to a rock concert that was preceded by the national anthem and somehow we soldier on.

21 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

Never mind the millions who may see it as historic and patriotic, that's the world we're living in today. 

A world where precisely no one is stopping anybody from making their own shoes with whatever flag they'd like to adorn them with?  Why doesn't Nike get an opinion about what shoes they want to make?  Forgive my presumption, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe they know just a little bit more than everyone here combined about what kind of shoes to produce.

13 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

Never mind the millions who may see it as historic and patriotic, that's the world we're living in today.  One offended person's opinion outweighs yours, mine and millions of others. 

Were you planning to buy these shoes?  That's all Nike cares about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, aztek said:

It must make them a lot of money.  I find it hard to believe that Nike is the one doing it, but I could understand someone using them as a symbol for something.

I don't buy nike shoes because they don't make my size.  And they seem cheaply made, that's why I thought they were a chinese company.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, aztek said:

Wow, you are drinking the kool-aide in big gulps, you are in the black hole of them vs us, that is being sold by the media and the democratic and republican party so that we can never agree on anything so we are divided and can be more easily manipulated.  There is no "left" and "right" there are extremes at both ends that do not represent the rest of us. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't worry. If they lose money they'll come out with a pair that flashes red, white and blue and plays The Star Spangled Banner while you walk.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5