Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beliefs

docyabut2

What does you all want to believe? just  having one life, a belief in heaven to stay, or a recycle life of dying in one day and being reborn into another life ?   

I would prefer a heaven with some rencarnation mixed in probably

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I believe in nothing.

He was asking what you want to believe. Not what you do believe 

Also have you forsaken your newfound agnosticism already ? Lol

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

He was asking what you want to believe. Not what you do believe 

Also have you forsaken your newfound agnosticism already ? Lol

It's difficult to want to believe anything. I mean, spiritual beliefs are assumptions. I can't assume anything. Because there is nothing that emotionally appeals to me. 

10 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

so one life?

Are we even alive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

What does you all want to believe? just  having one life, a belief in heaven to stay, or a recycle life of dying in one day and being reborn into another life ?   

Personally I don't care what happens when I die. I have enough to worry about trying to be a decent person in this very real life I have now.

If, when I die, I just dissolve into nothingness then that is fine 'cause I will never know otherwise.

If I end up floating around in space, checking out the Orion Nebulae then maybe choosing another life or seeking out someone then that's great too.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I do not want or need to believe in anything. 

Am quite happy with the life i have been given and am quite happy knowing that one day I will die like all the other billions and billions of life before me have.

Its a fact we will all die and quite frankly this idea of heaven or afterlife does not appeal to me at all.

I really do not like the idea of going to some place where everyone who has died over the years are at, apart from being extremely over crowded, I really do not wish to see hoards of people I never knew when I was alive or did not like. 

As the time line of humans keeps going, how do the heaven believers explain the available space for the next lot of arrivals? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

He

She.

Having one lifetime hopefully. It was enough. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I kinda follow some of the teachings of the Eastern religions, I beleive Karma, I beleive that the way you live your life, and you treat others has a direct influence on how this life will be. I uncertain of anything else at this time, however, I do think that if there is an after life, it is also influenced by Karma.

• Like 3

So the question is not what we think is true, but what our optimal afterlife system would be? 

Well, reincarnation would be better if we had clear memories of what went before, so we could actually learn from it.  As it stands, reincarnation is a silly system, as the question of "what" we  are actually supposed to be learning and why, is continually up for grabs.  It is better than the alternative tho.

As for the simplistic eternal heaven vs. eternal hell dynamic of monotheism, sheesh.  No crime is so bad it deserves eternal punishment.  No good deed is so good it deserves eternal reward.  I can't imagine a less just system.  This is something Stalin would come up with; the eternal gulag and the worker's paradise, with Big Brother watching all.  Full totalitarianism.  Disgusting.

I think, with work, the defects in  the reincarnation system could be ironed out to something pretty decent.  I would favor something a lot closer to character creation in video games, where choice is the main factor.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I’m first curious as to why you ask this. 

Ah well, what I want? I don’t know! There are times, I want it to be eternal. Then, there are times, I want absolute nothing. (I guess, it depends on the mood I’m in) My feelings on re-incarnation tends to fall into this thinking as well. (I kind of like that idea. :yes: ) (Maybe it’s the book loving, read happy, character exploring person in me. :w00t: ) 

If I’m asked, do I want to go to Heaven? Well, I don’t know if I do, (or it’s version of Hell either), because it seems so simple ................ and boring. And besides, growing up secular, I don’t see how it could be logical. 

I think, the important thing for me, is to want to do what I can for my life, in this life. I think, that trumps it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

Personally I don't care what happens when I die. I have enough to worry about trying to be a decent person in this very real life I have now.

If, when I die, I just dissolve into nothingness then that is fine 'cause I will never know otherwise.

If I end up floating around in space, checking out the Orion Nebulae then maybe choosing another life or seeking out someone then that's great too.

You creator!!!

You traitor!!!!! 

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  

(Sorry, I think it’s such a cool song!)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I do not want or need to believe in anything. 

Am quite happy with the life i have been given and am quite happy knowing that one day I will die like all the other billions and billions of life before me have.

Its a fact we will all die and quite frankly this idea of heaven or afterlife does not appeal to me at all.

I really do not like the idea of going to some place where everyone who has died over the years are at, apart from being extremely over crowded, I really do not wish to see hoards of people I never knew when I was alive or did not like. 

As the time line of humans keeps going, how do the heaven believers explain the available space for the next lot of arrivals? 

You know, I have had these questions myself, through out my life.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I kinda follow some of the teachings of the Eastern religions, I beleive Karma, I beleive that the way you live your life, and you treat others has a direct influence on how this life will be. I uncertain of anything else at this time, however, I do think that if there is an after life, it is also influenced by Karma.

I wouldn’t say, I sometimes have moods that believe this at certain times in my life. I actually think, I am a Karmist at times. I believe this a lot. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

It's difficult to want to believe anything. I mean, spiritual beliefs are assumptions. I can't assume anything. Because there is nothing that emotionally appeals to me. 

Are we even alive.

That's exactly what belief is based on emotion.  Good point.  There is a difference between knowing and believing that a lot of people ignore. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

You creator!!!

You traitor!!!!! 

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  

(Sorry, I think it’s such a cool song!)

Heh..Bendy is my new obsession :)

Sure there are lots of things I wish was true but I have no proof otherwise and trying to maintain a belief just because one was ordered to or feels they have to because that is what the family demands is just so tiring.

• Like 2

What do I want to believe?

Well, for starters, that the human race will outgrow the need for unwarranted beliefs and superstitions.

… that there is ONE human race on this little planet, and that skin pigmentation is irrelevant.

… that people will stop trying to make other people conform to what they 'believe' is the right way to live and love.

… that no child will ever be a victim of abuse, hunger, or poverty.

… that future wars will be settled by a death-cage match between the leaders of the countries in conflict. No proxies allowed.

,,, that when a nation decides to go to war, the political drones who voted for it are the first on the line of fire.

… that the J.J. Abrams 'Star Trek' films, and "Star Trek: Discovery", never existed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

… that the J.J. Abrams 'Star Trek' films never existed.

:o Hey now!!!!

6 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

,,, that when a nation decides to go to war, the political drones who voted for it are the first on the line of fire.

Wouldn't you love to see Bolton shoved out the back of a C130, right into a DMZ? :yes:

7 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

:nw:

• Like 3

Just  having one life, a belief in heaven to stay, or a recycle life of dying in one day and being reborn into another life ? 

Just like to know  which one is true. I would like in heaven to stay, because this planet is nothing  but life has to consume life to survive over and over:(  

57 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

What do I want to believe?

Well, for starters, that the human race will outgrow the need for unwarranted beliefs and superstitions.

… that there is ONE human race on this little planet, and that skin pigmentation is irrelevant.

… that people will stop trying to make other people conform to what they 'believe' is the right way to live and love.

… that future wars will be settled by a death-cage match between the leaders of the countries in conflict. No proxies allowed.

… that the J.J. Abrams 'Star Trek' films, and "Star Trek: Discovery", never existed.

So basically your saying you want to believe in miracles.   Good.   Me too.

• Like 1

Heaven, Hell they both look the same to me. Either spend eternity kissing some diety's backside or tortured forever. Reincarnation is just going through the same suffering during a different life. Yeah, oblivion sounds nice.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lightly said:

So basically your saying you want to believe in miracles.   Good.   Me too.

Yes, in a way. But these are 'miracles' that we, as living, thinking, empathic beings can accomplish, without the need for any intervention by celestial, cosmic, or alien beings. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

I would like in heaven to stay, because this planet is nothing 

You see, this life, is all we know that is real, concrete, tangible.

Talk of heavens, hells, rebirths, etc., are as intangible and insubstantial as wishing on a star. 

IMO, worthless as it may be, if you lived as if this life was all you would ever know; be the best person you can be, help those who need it, be kind, be happy, then IF there is some afterlife, you are ahead of the curve. BUT, if you live life treating it as a step stone to a "better" existence, then you are missing out on what life, and being human is all about.  If you are kind, charitable, compassionate for the less fortunate because you "have to be" in order to gain a reward, then you aren't living, just obeying. Like a dog staying off the couch, not because he wants to, but because he has been told to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

Just  having one life, a belief in heaven to stay, or a recycle life of dying in one day and being reborn into another life ? 

Just like to know  which one is true. I would like in heaven to stay, because this planet is nothing  but life has to consume life to survive over and over:(  

Hi Docyabut

Does having an afterlife have meaning to you? for me, it does not matter if there is or not just like will I be alive in the next hour I don't know and won't base my life on it and I will just live until I am no longer alive. I do not think that it is bad or wrong for others to need to have that construct in their lives if it makes their life worth living so I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other.

jmccr8

• Like 3