Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mass 'food poisoning' at Marcos birthday bash

Still Waters

More than 200 guests fell ill with suspected food poisoning after a meal at a birthday party for Imelda Marcos, the former first lady of the Philippines.

Ambulances rushed vomiting friends and supporters from a sports stadium in Manila, where about 2,500 people gathered to honour the 90-year-old widow of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos.

Although Marcos was toppled by a peaceful uprising in 1986, the family is still revered by many in the Philippines and has made a political comeback in recent years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/03/unhappy-birthday-hundreds-fall-sick-at-imelda-marcos-party

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/4/2019 at 4:12 AM, Still Waters said:

More than 200 guests fell ill with suspected food poisoning after a meal at a birthday party for Imelda Marcos, the former first lady of the Philippines.

Ambulances rushed vomiting friends and supporters from a sports stadium in Manila, where about 2,500 people gathered to honour the 90-year-old widow of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos.

Although Marcos was toppled by a peaceful uprising in 1986, the family is still revered by many in the Philippines and has made a political comeback in recent years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/03/unhappy-birthday-hundreds-fall-sick-at-imelda-marcos-party

Wow! I thought she was long dead.  I cannot believe she's still alive!  Imelda with the shoe fetish is how I remember her. :D

On 7/4/2019 at 4:29 AM, OverSword said:

Woopsie Daisy

Emphasis on the whoopsies I fear (but least there was no risk of the sewers being blocked too).  Poor food hygiene in the Phillipines?  Unheard of !  I myself never spent a day and a half, karmically chained to a toilet in the Hyatt Regency in Manilla, paying my debt to fate for poor food handling in a past life.  Nope, it never happened, as reincarnation is superstition and my memory of those events is otherwise almost blank.

8 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Emphasis on the whoopsies I fear (but least there was no risk of the sewers being blocked too).  Poor food hygiene in the Phillipines?  Unheard of !  I myself never spent a day and a half, karmically chained to a toilet in the Hyatt Regency in Manilla, paying my debt to fate for poor food handling in a past life.  Nope, it never happened, as reincarnation is superstition and my memory of those events is otherwise almost blank.

it would be reasonable to assume if it was a celebration in some poor village, but this was a famous, rich person's b-day, high end event, with big names attending,  more likely than not it was either deliberate or someone got some spoiled food, (easy to make such mistake with frozen meat for example).