Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Remembering your past lives.

Cosmic Viking

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The way I see it. Someone is either telling me the truth or they're telling me a story. If it's the truth they can back it up. Other than that it's a story.

The problem I see with that is how can one even tell that the information is truly theirs, as in, how do we know it is even a legitimate part of their past and not just a recitation of information they compiled then claimed as an actual representation of their past?

Even past life regression is not reliable as the mind it WAY too easily influenced and corrupted by fantasy, wishful thinking and false memories.

1 minute ago, Bendy Demon said:

The problem I see with that is how can one even tell that the information is truly theirs, as in, how do we know it is even a legitimate part of their past and not just a recitation of information they compiled then claimed as an actual representation of their past?

You can't.

1 minute ago, Bendy Demon said:

Even past life regression is not reliable as the mind it WAY too easily influenced and corrupted by fantasy, wishful thinking and false memories.

Obviously.

See how boring that is.

Edited by OverSword

4 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

The issue with regression is memory. How much is actually from their own mind and not from another source. Every time something is remembered we edit that memory, even creating false ones without our full knowledge or intent. Then what if the hypnotist is unintentionally leading the person on? 

Edited by XenoFish

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yeah, but please note - At no point do I say reincarnation is real.  I find it interesting and the possibility intriguing.  What I don't get is if you don't, wasting your time discussing it.

This is a discussion forum..we are discussing. If you have a problem with my refusal to blindly believe then go report me but don't insinuate I must believe in order to discuss. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

This is a discussion forum..we are discussing. If you have a problem with my refusal to blindly believe then go report me but don't insinuate I must believe in order to discuss. Thank you.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to discuss, I've heard everything you've repeated.

If it really is true then there is no need to believe, you then understand and learn more but if it is not true and you want someone to accept it as such then you have to make 'belief' a prerequisite in order to make people think it is real.

16 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

If it really is true then there is no need to believe, you then understand and learn more but if it is not true and you want someone to accept it as such then you have to make 'belief' a prerequisite in order to make people think it is real.

Or you could dismiss the very possibility and have no real interest in the topic or it's anecdotes.

Edited by OverSword

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Or you could dismiss the very possibility and have no real interest in the topic or it's anecdotes.

Ah..I think I am beginning to see what the problem is. You expect me to talk about anecdotes as if they were real accounts rather than discussing more real-life reasons behind the false memories that people accept as proof of past lives

Belief should have no active part in determining whether something is real and valid. Either there is actual concrete proof or all we are doing is going in circles with said anecdotes and metaphors.

How can we even progress in a topic if we are unwilling to step out of the sandbox of wishful thinking and delve into tthe psychology of it?

• Like 2

Just now, Bendy Demon said:

Ah..I think I am beginning to see what the problem is. You expect me to talk about anecdotes as if they were real accounts rather than discussing more real-life reasons behind the false memories that people accept as proof of past lives

Belief should have no active part in determining whether something is real and valid. Either there is actual concrete proof or all we are doing is going in circles with said anecdotes and metaphors.

How can we even progress in a topic if we are unwilling to step out of the sandbox of wishful thinking and delve into tthe psychology of it?

I agree, the issue from my POV is that you named some actual non-woo possibilities about three pages ago and since then have said nothing new.  For my part I haven't said anything new either because all I've been doing is pointing out that you will write off any hard to explain anecdote as mundane which they probably are but is very boring.  Do you ever have a talk in which you or the other person will say what if it's not mundane?  If your view is that everything is mundane then why do you waste your time talking about it?  That's what I don't get.

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I agree, the issue from my POV is that you named some actual non-woo possibilities about three pages ago and since then have said nothing new.  For my part I haven't said anything new either because all I've been doing is pointing out that you will write off any hard to explain anecdote as mundane which they probably are but is very boring.  Do you ever have a talk in which you or the other person will say what if it's not mundane?  If your view is that everything is mundane then why do you waste your time talking about it?  That's what I don't get.

I didn't say it was mundane..now you're just being manipulative.

Ok..let's put it this way..let's say I am trying to counsel someone who has a dread fear of water. Now, psychology usually states that such a fear often arises from a traumatic experience when they were younger or even an infant.

Perhaps the trauma took the form of an actual incident or perhaps someone did something to scare them; the fear could have even been attained while in the womb if the mother experienced a traumatic, water-based event.

Now..do you not think that it would be far more feasible and reasonable to explore all those possibilities rather than to sit there, nod sympathetically then go on to tell them that their fear is because they lived a past life as a pirate or sea merchant and they drowned due to an attack, storm or something?

It is always easy to sink into fantasy based explanations than to face the issue head on and accept the very real possibility that we were duped, intentionally or not, by little kids and adults all along and one doesn't have to go any farther for the explanation than people running off at the mouth with wild stories?

Tell a story long enough and with enough sincerity then soon most will believe it without question.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

I didn't say it was mundane..now you're just being manipulative.

Ok..let's put it this way..let's say I am trying to counsel someone who has a dread fear of water. Now, psychology usually states that such a fear often arises from a traumatic experience when they were younger or even an infant.

Perhaps the trauma took the form of an actual incident or perhaps someone did something to scare them; the fear could have even been attained while in the womb if the mother experienced a traumatic, water-based event.

Now..do you not think that it would be far more feasible and reasonable to explore all those possibilities rather than to sit there, nod sympathetically then go on to tell them that their fear is because they lived a past life as a pirate or sea merchant and they drowned due to an attack, storm or something?

It is always easy to sink into fantasy based explanations than to face the issue head on and accept the very real possibility that we were duped, intentionally or not, by little kids and adults all along and one doesn't have to go any farther for the explanation than people running off at the mouth with wild stories?

Tell a story long enough and with enough sincerity then soon most will believe it without question.

See, here's the thing.  Examples I gave weren't some guy is afraid of water so decides he was a pirate.   My examples were of very young kids that recognize people places and events that are not well known to living people and effectively impossible for them to know at their age under most circumstances.  IMO these types of cases are interesting enough to look into and hoping to be amazed.

Arthur C. Clarke did a tv show in the early 80's which discussed science, science fiction and other tidbits. He did a segment on children in India with past life recall that was interesting. 

Edited by darkmoonlady

On 7/11/2019 at 9:25 AM, Timothy said:

Reincarnation would be easily verifiable.

I don't believe in it either but there are some VERY interesting anecdotes from people who claim knowledge of events and places from former lives and that info checks out.  I find that to be creepy.

20 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

Or maybe because it is a well-trained dog that is used to entertain the crowds?

Well.. could be... but why dogs do that? 

There was a cat which don't eat any meat like a Buddhist monk.

There is unusual animal who behaves like a human.

9 hours ago, Great Old Man said:

Well.. could be... but why dogs do that? 

There was a cat which don't eat any meat like a Buddhist monk.

There is unusual animal who behaves like a human.

The cat was forced to be a vegetarian because some ignorant, idiot person decided it was more "spiritual" for a carnivore to be forced to adopt a veggie diet.

Dogs are easily trained to do stuff because they either get a reward for it or do it simply out of fear of punishment; either way they do it because they are trained...that is what animals will do.

There was recently a show where some moronic woman bragged that her big golden lab was a vegetarian yet when a bowl of veggie slop and a bowl of meat was placed in front of it...it readily went for the meat. Why? Because it was starved and had enough of being forced to fulfil some idiots dream that all animals will eat grass and happily sing campfire songs all day long.

Animals will only do something that is within the parameters of what they'd do naturally, outside of that is just conditioned responses.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2019 at 3:29 PM, and then said:

I don't believe in it either but there are some VERY interesting anecdotes from people who claim knowledge of events and places from former lives and that info checks out.  I find that to be creepy.

There are, I agree. 

The stories of suddenly speaking unknown languages etc. 

But nothing has stood up to reasonable sceptical scrutiny. 

It’s humanly possible for someone to have unknown extreme traits, eg. unclassified savants. We know that.

Past lives should be easily verifiable, especially in the history of the billions of people on this rock. 

Hy guys im really fascinated by this topic and enjoying the whole complexity of the subject. Its amazing how a human mind can be erased and rebooted just like a harddrive of a computer..even if you were to have lived a thousand lives you would never know  would you. It seems most of the time that children seem to display that past lives symptoms  because their memory is still fresh before it gets cluttered by everything a human must absorb to live in this live. The more research i do into this topic the more it makes you wonder of how much we dont know rather than how much we know..keep it up everyone. We have so much to learn and stimulate some memories.

• Like 1