Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experiment seeks evidence of 'mirror universe'

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Experiment seeks evidence of 'mirror universe'

The experiment itself will involve firing a beam of neutrons at a solid wall with a neutron detector set up at the other side. Normally the detector should pick up nothing at all because the neutrons cannot pass through the wall, however scientists believe that some of them may temporarily "oscillate" in to a mirror universe and back, enabling them to pass through the wall where the detector will pick them up.

Whether the experiment will succeed in detecting anything at all however remains to be seen.

My money is on "a waste of time". If they succeed, I will be in shock!

• Like 3

Interesting

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

How can they be sure that a neutron passing the wall is not just quantum tunneling?

@cormac mac airt @danydandan @Harte You guys should be able to answer that, right?

From the energy level of the captured neutron, I would say.

Harte

• Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

How can they be sure that a neutron passing the wall is not just quantum tunneling?

@cormac mac airt @danydandan @Harte You guys should be able to answer that, right?

AFAIK Quantum tunnelling generally applies to levels of particles well BELOW the threshold of the atomic particles of proton, neutron or electron and entering the realm of fermions, bosons, etc. The question would tend to be on the level of "why can't a car travel through a mole-hole?".

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just finished Stranger Things season 3.
I'd recommend against searching for a mirror universe, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I did a Q&A with experts on another forum. Here's a summary:

A: The stuff about parallel universes and "portals" is hyperbole.

Q: So it will not prove parallel universes, even if they succeed?

A: Certainly not parallel universes.

But if it provides evidence of mirror matter then it is possible (but not certain) that there could be large scale structures equivalent to stars and galaxies, made up of mirror matter. This would exist in our universe but not be directly detectable. That could be described as a "parallel universe" but it requires a bit of journalistic license.

There is a good overview of mirror matter here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_matter

Q: Isn't that just supersymmetry?

A: Not quite. There are multiple symmetries. Some lead to anti-matter, others to supersymmetric particles, others to mirror matter. (There may be others ...)

So, people, this is not something that could reveal parallel universes!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now I understand why the US Government scrapped the Neutron Bomb after they test fired the weapon.

Protons, neutrons and electrons all exhibit quantum tunneling under certain circumstances.

IIRC, protons and neutrons must be at a much lower energy state than is necessary for an electron.

Electron tunneling is common. Without it, the Sun doesn't work. Or so I read several years ago.

Harte

The experiment itself will involve firing a beam of neutrons at a solid wall with a neutron detector set up at the other side.

I'm picturing Buckaroo Bonsai and the overthruster.

• 1 month later...

I found a good video explaining this stuff. Hope it helps those who feel a little lost trying to understand it