Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Archaeologists unearth rare execution chain

Still Waters

Archaeologists have unearthed thousands of bone fragments of executed criminals and a chain that was probably used to string some of them up.

The macabre discovery was found on a former execution site near Żagan in western Poland. Believed to date back to the 16-18 Centuries the human remains also include detached skulls indicating that beheading was also used to despatch the convicted.

https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/hang-on-researchers-dig-up-rare-execution-chain-among-the-bones-of-executed-criminals-6483

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7205499/Execution-chain-used-hang-criminals-Poland-500-years-ago-found.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some sicko would probably pay a fortune for that on eBay. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Could be POWs too.

Edited by Piney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Could be POWs too.

Almost definitely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite surprising that this dates to the 16-18th century, seems a lot more Medieval in its....well...macabre nature.

Not sure why it would necessarily be POWs, though. They often did have have much harsher penalties for crimes back then and if the bodies were really displayed in such a manner to deter others, then aren't criminals more likely?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Quite surprising that this dates to the 16-18th century, seems a lot more Medieval in its....well...macabre nature.

Not sure why it would necessarily be POWs, though. They often did have have much harsher penalties for crimes back then and if the bodies were really displayed in such a manner to deter others, then aren't criminals more likely?

A common quote from the time period was Poles were "barbarians with Bibles" and didn't treat their POWs well. They were still "Medieval" in many of their practices and the Russians were "Medieval" up until the 18th Century. 

They could sure as hell make war though and their Winged Hussars were unstoppable. 

• Like 1

Maybe we need to bring this kind of punishment back, the criminals today have no fear of our justice system.

6 hours ago, Piney said:

A common quote from the time period was Poles were "barbarians with Bibles" and didn't treat their POWs well. They were still "Medieval" in many of their practices and the Russians were "Medieval" up until the 18th Century. 

They could sure as hell make war though and their Winged Hussars were unstoppable. 

Thanks!

And a yes, I didn't take the location into consideration.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 9:14 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Maybe we need to bring this kind of punishment back, the criminals today have no fear of our justice system.

The US Constitution specifically prohibits cruel and unusual punishments for criminals. 

Any other defining characteristics of US law you want to dismantle via anecdotal evidence?

—Jaylemurph 

4 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

The US Constitution specifically prohibits cruel and unusual punishments for criminals. 

Any other defining characteristics of US law you want to dismantle via anecdotal evidence?

—Jaylemurph 

Sorry, I that was out of line.

On 7/4/2019 at 5:55 PM, Orphalesion said:

Stuff like that still happen a lot right now ... no need to look far in the past.

7 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Stuff like that still happen a lot right now ... no need to look far in the past.

Not in a place like Poland.

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

:rolleyes:

Oh gilly gee winkers! Are you going to tell me that bad things happened in World War II and under Soviet Rule? Like I have never ever heard of that! 

Now show me where they are performing executions in Poland right now, because if you look, in the message you  quoted I was talking about present times.

Edited by Orphalesion

27 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

:rolleyes:

Oh gilly gee winkers! Are you going to tell me that bad things happened in World War II and under Soviet Rule? Like I have never ever heard of that! 

Now show me where they are performing executions in Poland right now, because if you look, in the message you  quoted I was talking about present times.

said ''not far in the past'' ... and never said Poland in the first place 

But 70 years ago is quite ''not far ago'' and it's in Poland. It's not Medieval time...

Lot's of stuff happening right now. Just look at what is happening with the drug cartels in mexico...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/06/mass-grave-found-mexico-166-skulls/1216871002/

and remember 1995 for Srebrenica in Europe.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/on-the-24th-anniversary-of-the-srebrenica-massacre-bosnian-muslims-continue-to-bury-their-dead/

Don't need to search far. 

11 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

said ''not far in the past'' ... and never said Poland in the first place 

But 70 years ago is quite ''not far ago'' and it's in Poland. It's not Medieval time...

Lot's of stuff happening right now. Just look at what is happening with the drug cartels in mexico...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/06/mass-grave-found-mexico-166-skulls/1216871002/

and remember 1995 for Srebrenica in Europe.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/on-the-24th-anniversary-of-the-srebrenica-massacre-bosnian-muslims-continue-to-bury-their-dead/

Don't need to search far. 

Dude, I'm not sure why you are under the delusion that you are telling me anything new with any of that. Only because I have a signature about unicorns doesn't mean I'm naive or oblivious to what happens in the world right now.

In my original post (when you started ranting at me), I was specifically talking about 18th century Poland. Not about Mexico today. Not about Poland in 1943, not about Rwanda in the 90s, Cambodia in the 70s or any other place or time.
I was talking about the area of modern day Poland, that in the 18th century was colonized by the Hanseatic League, was or came partially under the control of the Habsburg Empire (which at the time had recently abolished torture) and was during the 17th and 18th centuries at several times in personal union with the electorate of Saxony.
Particularly Zagan, the city that the article is talking about became a Habsburg possession in 1549. So those are the reasons I was surprised, because, judging from those historical events I would have considered that area of Poland, at that time, a more gentle area during that period. What I didn't consider where things like the 30 years war.

Edited by Orphalesion

3 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Dude, I'm not sure why you are under the delusion that you are telling me anything new with any of that. Only because I have a signature about unicorns doesn't mean I'm naive or oblivious to what happens in the world right now.

In my original post (when you started ranting at me), I was specifically talking about 18th century Poland. Not about Mexico today. Not about Poland in 1943, not about Rwanda in the 90s, Cambodia in the 70s or any other place or time.
I was talking about the area of modern day Poland, that in the 18th century was colonized by the Hanseatic League, was or came partially under the control of the Habsburg Empire (which at the time had recently abolished torture) and was during the 17th and 18th centuries at several times in personal union with the electorate of Saxony.
Particularly Zagan, the city that the article is talking about became a Habsburg possession in 1549. So those are the reasons I was surprised, because, judging from those historical events I would have considered that area of Poland, at that time, a more gentle area during that period. What I didn't consider where things like the 30 years war.

Sorry our conversation was probably lost in translation ans misinterpretation... just wanted to say that barbaric actions is not only a medieval thing...