Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Windows 10 Oh Hell!

Minimalists

Alright folks I have been using an iMac for the last 6 years as a desktop I have not used Windows for that long...Anything I need to know? What do they charge for upgrades on Windows 10 etc....I just bought an Asus Vivobook 15.6....Using Windows 10...

All you need to know is that it is Windows, buggy as hell, especially Office.  Otherwise, it works the same you  just have to re-learn the menu options because they change and when you get an update it will have 3 new bugs for every one they fix.  I have to use it for work.

• Like 1

P.S.  if you have a specific question I may be able to answer.  I still use my 10 year old Mac for personal stuff so I can figure out differences if that's what you need.

(how many microsoft users can say that, I still use my 10 year old computer as more than a paperweight)

Edited by Desertrat56

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

P.S.  if you have a specific question I may be able to answer.  I still use my 10 year old Mac for personal stuff so I can figure out differences if that's what you need.

(how many microsoft users can say that, I still use my 10 year old computer as more than a paperweight)

Not many if any at all...My personal stuff will stay on my iMac that I have had for the last 6 years...This thing still flies even after 6 years...The main reason I got the Windows machine was to do just general web surfing etc...Wanted a MacBook but I don't have $1200 right now...Retirement puts a knot in your budget you cannot get out...

And thanks for the offer to help...I get in a crunch you maybe getting a PM...

Edited by Minimalists
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Minimalists said:

Not many if any at all...My personal stuff will stay on my iMac that I have had for the last 6 years...This thing still flies even after 6 years...The main reason I got the Windows machine was to do just general web surfing etc...Wanted a MacBook but I don't have $1200 right now...Retirement puts a knot in your budget you cannot get out...

Ah yes, I am facing that, finding a way to buy a new computer and dreading not being able to afford what I want.  Anyway, I have found browsing the web can be frustrating and problematic with a Windows OS.  Use Mozilla instead of Explorer or Chrome.  Those two are horrible and you will end up with so many pop ups that take too much time to get rid of and if you get a virus Norton won't always get rid of it.  The computer I use for work had some kind of insideous virus that would not allow me to go to the internet, which I needed for my job, without a lot of popups that kept me from getting anywhere.  It took 3 IT guys to figure it out and I think the wiped the hard drive  and reloaded everything.  Now it is good as long as I don't use Explorer or Chrome.

My son has both a macbook and a high spec windows 10. so based on your question I asked him.

He view is once you are comfortable with the operating system there is not much difference, but windows for gaming. If gaming is not an issue would go mac - but really in his opinion not much difference.

That was about all I got out of him - he's a man of few words.

ps he works in IT and codes on both

Edited by RAyMO
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

My son has both a macbook and a high spec windows 10. so based on your question I asked him.

He view is once you are comfortable with the operating system there is not much difference, but windows for gaming. If gaming is not an issue would go mac - but really in his opinion not much difference.

That was about all I got out of him - he's a man of few words.

Thanks..I do not do gaming so that's not a problem.....I bought this Windows machine because of the cost of the MacBook...I could get one (MacBook) off E-Bay but the last two used MacBooks I bought were **** so I will only buy macs new not used.

Edited by Minimalists
reworded a sentence.
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 2:11 PM, Desertrat56 said:

Towers we have 1-15 year old running XP, 2-13 year olds running 7 and another 10 year old running 7.

Two laptops both 13 years old we use for field work both running XP. B)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Towers we have 1-15 year old running XP, 2-13 year olds running 7 and another 10 year old running 7.

Two laptops both 13 years old we use for field work both running XP. B)

Right, machines you can't update to Windows 10.  I have all the current OS updates on my 10 year old computer

Different hardware specs, different OS ...

I was using a Pentium D till earlier this year, it didn't survive the bumps and jumps on the trip to my new job, close to if not over twenty years old... It was a klunky old thing running Xp

~

Edited by third_eye
Shhhhhhhh

7 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Different hardware specs, different OS ...

I was using a Pentium D till earlier this year, it didn't survive the bumps and jumps on the trip to my new job, close to if not over twenty years old... It was a klunky old thing running Xp

~

Yeah, XP was the last good OS version Microsoft put out.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 8:11 PM, Desertrat56 said:

My ~15 year old Dell laptop running XP was finally retired last month.    And that was only because it became surplus to requirements when I bought a new chromebook for home use.

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yeah, XP was the last good OS version Microsoft put out.

It was right for the hardware and MB architecture of the day, frankly I have a hard time understanding the need for Quad Core processor s or massive RAM configuration s, I started with 386/486 platforms, so yeah, except for multimedia and streaming media editing or graphic / gaming...  I believe I can type out a letter as fast if not faster on my old machine than any of the fancy set ups available today, the application software today is so bloated with features designed to make things easier just convoluted simple tasks. Suffice to say I am not a fan... 

~

• Like 2

On 2019-07-05 at 9:09 PM, Desertrat56 said:

All you need to know is that it is Windows, buggy as hell, especially Office.  Otherwise, it works the same you  just have to re-learn the menu options because they change and when you get an update it will have 3 new bugs for every one they fix.  I have to use it for work.

And lots of updates....

9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right, machines you can't update to Windows 10.  I have all the current OS updates on my 10 year old computer

But, but, but..............It's still a MAC. :P

30 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

But, but, but..............It's still a MAC. :P

Yes, a MAC  that is 10 years old and I have the most current OS.

Open Office is free and as good (for my uses as a writer) as Office, so consider that if you need that type of software.

Free is good :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2019 at 7:56 PM, Minimalists said:

Alright folks I have been using an iMac for the last 6 years as a desktop I have not used Windows for that long...Anything I need to know? What do they charge for upgrades on Windows 10 etc....I just bought an Asus Vivobook 15.6....Using Windows 10...

Once you get used to it, windows 10 is very good. As is 365.

But its like anything else it will take time. I struggle and curse apple pcs, on times that I am asked to help users of that platform. which is not often thankfully.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Once you get used to it, windows 10 is very good. As is 365.

But its like anything else it will take time. I struggle and curse apple pcs, on times that I am asked to help users of that platform. which is not often thankfully.

I use both and most people I know who use both, like I do, prefer Mac to Windows across the board. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:16 PM, third_eye said:

It was right for the hardware and MB architecture of the day, frankly I have a hard time understanding the need for Quad Core processor s or massive RAM configuration s, I started with 386/486 platforms, so yeah, except for multimedia and streaming media editing or graphic / gaming...  I believe I can type out a letter as fast if not faster on my old machine than any of the fancy set ups available today, the application software today is so bloated with features designed to make things easier just convoluted simple tasks. Suffice to say I am not a fan... 

~

Try to watch HEVC (x265) videos on 486...

48 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Try to watch HEVC (x265) videos on 486...

A mobile phone device will suffice for me... 

~

• Like 1

BTW, thinking of buying latest Ryzen with MB supporting 256GB. I-7 3630 & 64GB RAM ain't enough for 3D quantum mechanics :(

9 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

BTW, thinking of buying latest Ryzen with MB supporting 256GB. I-7 3630 & 64GB RAM ain't enough for 3D quantum mechanics :(

256GB of RAM? Am I that far out of touch that I don't know about this? I'm actually looking at building another system, been a while and I need a new toy.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:50 AM, Glacknor said:

256GB of RAM? Am I that far out of touch that I don't know about this? I'm actually looking at building another system, been a while and I need a new toy.

How about new "old" toys? Some retro PCs?

Thats freakin' treasure trove!

Dammit, nowadays I'm biting my toenails over agreeing to throw away 286 based PC MoBo, t'was working PC at work... Anyway, still have working 486 at work (runs actual setup with CAMAC). You should see expressions on students' faces when they see for the first time floppy disk, and have to work with DOS and Norton Commander )))