Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If Jesus was a god his death wasn't a sacrifi

darkmoonlady

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

Jesus, this thread is getting long...

God, this thread is getting long...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

In what way do you think it has been turned on it's head?  

The topic of this thread should explain that. 

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

And what truth are you referring to?

The truth about what really happened to Jesus and why. Not to mention what is really meant about him being the Son of God who came to show us the way we are supposed to live. What the truth is about this "way" he referred to and what it entails to live it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Jesus, this thread is getting long...

By Odin's beard this thread is getting long. :D

cormac

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

sci-nerd seriously sci me ol' mate:

do you feel discussions of this nature will still be rife in 100/1000 years time?

Thor is a God yet who believes he's real in this day & age?

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The topic of this thread should explain that. 

The truth about what really happened to Jesus and why. Not to mention what is really meant about him being the Son of God who came to show us the way we are supposed to live. What the truth is about this "way" he referred to and what it entails to live it.

Ok.  I thought that's what you would say.   Your "truth" is subjective, not objective.

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

seriously sci me ol' mate:

do you feel discussions of this nature will still be rife in 100/1000 years time?

Thor is a God yet who believes he's real in this day & age?

As dear old Einstein said: Only human folly and the universe is infinite. But I am not sure about the latter.

So in 100 years most probably. In 1000 there will be some around, like flat earthers are now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darkmoonlady said:

His death is always framed by his believers as a sacrifice or that he died for the sins of others but him knowing he could not die or die and come back makes that not a death FOR anything. More like a trick. 

So basically, God as Jesus, had a really bad weekend, and then all was OK!

I agree with your statement: If a god incarnated as a human, and had foreknowledge that he/she would end up back in heaven, then the entire concept is a sucker bet, in god's favour.

Just like a three card monty dealer: I KNOW where the Queen of Hearts is (in my sleeve), but you THINK you know where it is and bet me. Who is better off in this wager?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

As dear old Einstein said: Only human folly and the universe is infinite.

off topic- my apologies but what does that mean: 'the universe is infinite' = with regards to what?

never did really understand that:unsure:

@Dejarma for some reason I can't quote your message. The coding on the page seems screwed.

As for infinity, my personal interpretation is that the matter of the universe - or spacetime - is expanding into "something", and that something is infinity.
The place that the universe is expanding into is considered a part of the universe. Thus the universe is infinite.

Some have another interpretation. They think that if you reach the edge, you go back to where you started. So like an infinite sphere surface. Both could be right.

6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

off topic- my apologies but what does that mean: 'the universe is infinite' = with regards to what?

never did really understand that:unsure:

I've always taken it to mean: "beyond our ability to comprehend the measurement".

I mean, can you really visualize 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 as an actual quantity?

Not that it actually extends forever and ever, but that we cannot comprehend the vastness.

As stated in "Hitchhikers Guide: "Space is really, really big..."

@Dejarma for some reason I can't quote your message. The coding on the page seems screwed.

As for infinity, my personal interpretation is that the matter of the universe - or spacetime - is expanding into "something", and that something is infinity.
The place that the universe is expanding into is considered a part of the universe. Thus the universe is infinite.

Some have another interpretation. They think that if you reach the edge, you go back to where you started. So like an infinite sphere surface. Both could be right.

yep, same here hence #79 

my theory is the big bang is the result of the collapse of the previous universe, therefore an individual universe is not infinite, but this cycle is- just a thought

10 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Not that it actually extends forever and ever, but that we cannot comprehend the vastness.

yeah i get that;) but i can comprehend it:

if someone tells me a piece of string is 7 foot long- i can comprehend it...

if someone tells me a piece of string is 20 billion light-years long- i can comprehend it...

i can comprehend the vastness but i know what exists within  the7 foot;)

Edited by Dejarma

55 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

@Desertrat56 Here's another angle. What if the kid was never told about the cookie jar. Would they natural be tempted? Doubtful. If they don't know the cookie jar exist, no temptation.:tu:

I think the creation story is dumb too,

However on behalf of some Christian freinds I know I have to give the response they would give,

Which is that the whole point of the Appel is to create the opportunity for choice. 

Free will is basically not existant if there is virtually no opportunity for choice.

Therefore the apple/cookie jar temptation has to be there for choice to exist.  

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yep, same here hence #79 

my theory is the big bang is the result of the collapse of the previous universe, therefore an individual universe is not infinite, but this cycle is- just a thought

The problem with the big crunch is that there is nothing to stop the expansion we observe now. In fact it is accelerating. And that means that the density of matter is decreasing more and more, making gravity less potent. So a big crunch is so unlikely, that no one takes it serious.

7 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

The problem with the big crunch is that there is nothing to stop the expansion we observe now.

gravity will stop it? like an elastic band that's stretched so far it has nowhere to go but back on it' self?  the big crunch i assume you mean the big bang?

gravity will stop it? like an elastic band that's stretched so far it has nowhere to go but back on it' self?

If that could happen, we could not have satelites or the ISS.

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

the big crunch i assume you mean the big bang?

The big crunch is the hypothesized reversal of the big bang.

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

nope, you've lost me there

The big crunch is the hypothesized reversal of the big bang.

nope, i don't get that either, sorry- explain please.. cheers;)

46 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Ok.  I thought that's what you would say.   Your "truth" is subjective, not objective.

I was asking about what the objective truth is.

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

I was asking about what the objective truth is.

what's your opinion on it?

nope, you've lost me there

Gravity is not like a rubber band. It only has a certain reach.

It's like if you put a bowling ball on a very huge trampoline. Only things close to the middle would fall into the notch.

Gravity is a very weak force. The weakest of the four. To think it could reverse the big bang is very unlikely.

55 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The truth about what really happened to Jesus and why.

Hi Will

The UB isn't telling you the truth about Jesus, it's fiction.

jmccr8

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

To think it could reverse the big bang is very unlikely.

i'm not sure what you mean by: 'reverse the big bang'  in ths context

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

By Odin's beard this thread is getting long. :D

cormac

Ra almighty, this thread is getting long!

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what's your opinion on it?

That there is objective truth about God.

• The topic was locked